1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Briley Tubes/Browning Citori

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Woods, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with buying small gauge tubes such as Briley,Kolar for an older Browning Citori Shotgun . 26 Inch Barrels. Do these tubes need fitting , does the gun need trigger work. Any help would be appreciated.

Joe Woods/Ontario

2. creek

creek Member

Joe,
    A few months ago, I ordered a set of Briley 20 ga. tubes for my 28" Browning Citori M.425. I placed the order through MPC Sports. The tubes were $475 and came with two chokes.
    I was very pleased with the the ability to turn my 12ga. into a 20ga. No, you don't have to have anything fitted ar change anything like the trigger.

I also have a set of Briley 20ga. tubes for a Browning 32" Citori Special Trap model and they work great as well.

If you have any other questions feel free to contact me,
    John

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Send your barrel in, and have the tubes fit to your gun. There is no real advantage to the Companion tubes (the ones that do not require fitting), in fact, Briley's fitted tubes are 10-15% less than the companions. Companions will not fit your gun as well as fitted tubes, will wear out quicker, and are more prone to chamber cracking due to the lack of precise fit. The only way I would EVER recommend companion tubes to someone would be if it was logistically impossible for them to send their barrels in (such as they are from outside the US and it would be a hassle to try and ship them).

If you are going to get 20ga tubes only, you can PROBABLY get away without having to have any modifications made to the trigger, but there is a chance you may have to. 28ga MAY work, or MAY NOT. .410 will almost certainly require modifications to your guns trigger.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Joe, Yes Briley and Kolar will tube any gun you want old or new as long as it is a break open type of gun. They sell fitted tubes and like a drop in style (companions) as well. The fitted is fitted and the drop in type has several rubber washers to hold the full lenth tubes in position. These rubber washers need to be replaced every so often. Most of these drop ins will work in other guns with the same barrel lenth and simular boring, like browning invector plus chokes gun, can be used in another browning invector plus gun with the same barrel lenths. The fitted tubes will stay with the barrel it was fitted to for life and can't be refitted to another barrel. Both the drop ins or companion tubes and the fitted tubes will work well, the fitted tubes are better for serious shooters, the companions better for the weekend shooter who is trying to have fun and do well. If you buy the 410 tubes, the browning triggers in your gun will have to be worked on by their gun smith so that the gun will reset the trigger for the second shot. It is cheaper to buy all three at one time as opposed to buying one set(ga.) at a time. I think that Briley has the better warranty and service and also gives you more chokes with your tubes when you buy them. Good Luck and break-em all. Jeff

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Skeet man is right about the trigger maybe not working-- if you want 20-28-410 - it probably wont reset--

Now if you just want 20 gauge- you might want to try the full length companions but make sure you talk to the company and tell them what you want-- and your trigger as skeet man stated- might work in that gauge- but I wouldnt try any light loads

Actually pull and Mark -- Briley companion tubes dont need washers

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

I had my Citori springs changed to .410 springs. That took care of the reset issue on shooting the .410.

This is a easy and cheap fix. Any gun smith should be able to do it.

7. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Basically I was wanting a set of 20 Ga. Tubes. If I sent them to Briley, I wonder what the turn arround time would be. I guess Briley would know best
    about that.

Thankyou

Joe Woods/Ontario

8. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

When I sent my barrels in three weeks ago they said about four weeks.
    Neil Swenson

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You have two options

Call and ask them-- if you just want companion tubes (which will probably be good enough) you dont send anything to Briley- you just call and order the tubes and they will probably ship within a week

There are going to be questions about the age of your barrel and the chokes- you might have to go with shorter tubes but you can discuss all of that with them

If you go to the trouble of mailing your barrel in- I would go ahead and have them do a trigger conversion and fit the tubes-- a trigger conversion allows the gun to reset and its a result of the inertial block weight not springs

Option two would result in a gun you know would work-- might be better to avoid the aggravation of trying to fix something after the fact--- I imagine turnaround time at this time of year is probably 2 weeks in their shop- but ask them

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Gene, thanks for the heads up on the rubber washers. The only set I have ever seen had them, not sure who made them. But when I had Briley do my barrels last year they wanted the barrels for both sets of tubes. Just that the companions were faster to get than the fitted. But now they are not even making the Revolution tubes I got last year. They went back to old style type with redoing the ejectors abit to try to handle a wider selection of hulls. Time will tell how many they will handle, but my Revo's have shot many different type's so far no problems with any of them. From what Gary told me on the phone the Revo's were dropped because they took twice as long to fit to the gun and were not getting the number of call backs lowered to there satisfaction. So it was not saving them money only costing them more in the long run, not the other way around like they wanted. Also the 28ga. shells have enough kick to reset the Brownings trigger, but the 410 ga.'s are too light and the trigger work needs to be done for the 410. This is not to say the older brownings or other makes and models may differ. Call Gary at Briley and he will set you strait.l-800-331-5718. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

briley choke tubes browning

briley chokes browning

briley companion tubes review

briley tube sets review
browning citori choke tubes
choke tubes for older browning citori
do companion shotgun sub gauge tubes wear out
tubes for browning citori