1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Briley tube set F/S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SirMissalott, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I have a set of Briley tubes 12 to 20, 12 to 28, 12 to .410 Includes aluminum Briley Americase to accommodate gun in bottom, tubes in top. Each set of tubes includes 4 chokes for a total of 12. Also comes with install tools. Originally came in 30" Browning XS with invector plus. Can supply photos for any interested parties. $1350 shipped. Jim W

2. Bridger

Bridger Member

Are these custom made or the Companion tubes? Standard weight or ultralight? If they are custom made its not likely they will fit someone else's gun.

3. SirMissalott

Mr. Bridger I must confess I don't know anything about them I bought the whole thing as a package and I will never use the tubes. If you don't mind how can I tell the difference. The are color coded red and blue for top and bottom but if they are made for this gun then I obviously couldn't sell them separately. Thanks Jim W

4. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

If these were made for that gun you will find somewhere on each tube part of the guns serial # I can't remember off hand if its the last 3-4 digits or the first few digits but take a look at the tubes and then the serial # of the gun and that should tell you. If they were made for that gun rather than companion tubes they will be tough to sell.If you do find some one that has a gun that they fit into they still should at least send the tubes and the bbl's to briley to have them checked over to make sure everything is good to go before firing it.You can call Briley and talk to Gary Singer @ 713-932-6995 if you have any questions

5. SirMissalott

To all those who offered help thanks. After a little research I found they in fact are serialized to the gun. Thanks again Jim W

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Jim

As a Briley distributor, I can tell you that even if the tubes go in another barrel, the 20 ga tubes will likely give trouble, and will probably split. The correct procedure is to be very lucky and have the 28 and 410 tubes fit well enough to go in without a hydraulic press (LOL) and not rattle. The 20's should be sent back with barrel and have new chambers installed. Finding a buyer with the same model and vintage gun will be a plus.

This is being an optimist in the extreme, as I have seen Invector Plus bores run from .735" to .742". This is not sloppy workmanship, just adapting to different barrel contours.

My Cynergy Sporter has .7353" top barrel, and .7354 bottom. I call them .735's.

Why not keep them and shoot a little Skeet? If you shoot no Skeet, I can promise you, the 20's with IMOD/LF chokes and standard 7 1/2 shot will HAMMER ATA dubs.

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

or keep them and shoot some sporting clays.

8. SirMissalott

Shooting Coach,
    Thanks for the info knowing now what I do ( thanks to you all ) i would not sell them separately. I wouldn't want any problems to or from anyone. Again Thanks Jim W.

9. 682b

682b Member

FACT: Briley will not refit a tube set. They say they cannot do it. They can make the tube set and you will trust them to do any number of other things to your gun and they cannot refit your tube set. BUNK, they want to sell 1700.00 tube sets not 200.00 gunsmithing jobs.

FACT: Rocket science this is not. So long as the tube set was originally fit to a barrel with a ID larger than the ID of the new barrels you can do this. Will your local machinist do the work? Maybe, maybe not. But, a gunsmith/machinist will look at this as machine shop 101 work. It will require measuring all the parts to know if it can be done and the simple execution of basic machine skills. I have a set of Briley tubes that were originally fitted to a over bored preazzi and refitted to a standard bore 682x. The chambers were removed and the tube's cut and reattached to the exact length of the barrels, and have had no problems at all. This work was done in Nebraska. JIM

10. Shooting Coach

I left a message for Gary to call me back. They did at one time refit and rechamber tubes. If they have discontinued this pratice, it is news to me. I will say it has been several years since a fellow had me send a Purbaugh tubed Krieghoff back to get the tubes fit with new chambers. Gary jokingly called them "Bri-baughs". In the hands of a young athlete, they took a Junior World Skeet Championship a couple of years ago. I have had a Krieghoff Exhibition barrel so equipped.

This request does not come up every day. If you do not want the tubes, sell the barrel with the tubes and get another barrel. This way, you do not have something which is no use to you.

11. Shooting Coach

I just talked to Gary at Briley, and when apprised of this situation, he said "it depends". If the barrel and tubes are sent in, they will make a determination on whether the tubes can be fit to the new barrel. Likely, at least the 20 ga chamber will need to be replaced.

I would not recommend that any machining be done to the 20 ga tubes. The chamber is very thin, and will likely split if fit and thickness are not right.

In my long term experience with Briley, they are not just out to get your money. They charge a fair price for what they do, and routinely go over and beyond to take care of their customers.

The fact that turnaround is slow shows that many folks want Briley services and are willing to wait for them. A fellow cannot be hired off the street and be given a shotgun worth thousands, or ten thousands to work on!

12. 682b

682b Member

Hi coach, you are able to get a lot farther into the Briley hierarchy than I or other regular shooters because of the fact that you are a dealer. When I called I was told straight out that they did not retro fit tube sets and I don't think I even got past the person who answered the phone. Did this turn me off to Briley, you bet. When I needed a barrel threaded for a choke tube I did not give them a shot at it. No way, I bought a another Perazzi barrel that had factory tubes. Just the way I am I guess. JIM

13. Bwanar

Bwanar TS Member

I'm sure iff they did do it, it would be at least $200 a set as they want to charge $175 to "check them over and move a warranty to a new owner".

14. Shooting Coach

The worst thing about those tubes is that they are fitted to an Invector Plus barrel.

With that said, trust me, I am not knocking Browning. I think they are at the top of the food chain with their firearms. My Cynergy Sporter backup is so superbly suited for what I want, that I have considered selling my primary tournament arm, a K-80 combo, and buying a Cynergy combo.

Unfortunately, depending on barrel configuration, a bore on a Plus gun may go anywhere from .735" to .742".

Your XS model probably has bores at the upper end of the spectrum. Best sell to a fellow with an XS, and mike both bores before the sale.

I am sorry that a receptionist has soured you with Briley. Their service and subgauge tubes are without peer. I only work with the best, and they fit that category.

My K-80 has a set of Revolution Ultimate Ultralite tubes, and familiarity has caused me to be in awe of these fantastic accessories.

15. SirMissalott

Shooting Coach,
    One more dumb ? How can I tell what model of tube set these are?

16. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Check with Steve Balwin in Jones, OK. He can fit them to most anything. I do not think he is the only one that can do it either.

Take care,

Jim

sbcoachjim@aol.com

17. Shooting Coach

Since the tubes are numbered to the gun, they are fitted.

If the ejector is a thin quarter round piece of steel that fits into a machined groove in the chamber, they are Classics. If the ejector IS the end of the tube, they are Revolution tubes. If the tubes attach to screw ins in the front of the gun, they are Draw Lock.

If your 28 and 410 tubes look like a heat sink, with many annular grooves, they are Ultra Lites. If they have straight rifling, they are Ultimate Ultralites.

The picture above is of a Gold Anodized Revolution Ultimate Ultralite tube. The unique ejector is visible. The annular grooves signify the Ultralite tubeset.

18. SirMissalott

Shooting Coach,
    Thanks for all the help. Jim W I think what I have is ultra confusing. LOL

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I agree with Shooting Coach. Sell the barrel with tubes and get another. If you can find a buyer. Or swap for a barrel and some money.

(I would keep then and shoot more skeeties)

HM

20. SirMissalott

I agree I will either sell the package as a whole or keep it and shoot it. Now that I know there is even a chance of a problem I would not sell the tube separately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

will briley companion tubes for a perrazi fit a k-80