1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Briley Tube Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RSVP410, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with Briley Fitted Ultra-light tubes. I have a set of relatively new 28 ga tubes in a browning 20 ga. XS and was shooting some sporting clays to day and finished a station and noticed that the top tube was sticking out of the muzzle by about 3/4" with the breach end looking normal.

I would appreciate knowing if anyone has had this problem, how the tube was removed and what is required to fix it. As luck would have it, Briley is closed today.

Thanks,

Scott

2. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

A look down the barrel will probably tell the tale. 28ga in a 20ga results in a fairly thin tube wall. Most likely split the tube just past the chamber. Proper way to remove it depends a lot on what has gone wrong.

3. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Split chambers are not infrequent with Briley tubes.

4. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

Gee, uuhh...maybe you ought to contact Briley before you spread poo-poo all around about them. They would no doubt have something to say about your problem and make a suggestion of what to do. Then, if no satisfactory solution can be negotiated, then you could ask for opinions from all us "experts".

Just a suggestion....

Larry

5. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member

any problem will be rectified if you call. but the fact still remians, they do crack. they all do. even mine did. its why i went back to 4 bbl sets.

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I have sold well over a hundred tube sets only one cracked 20 . Biggest problem bent ejectors. Jeff

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

By the way what loads were you shooting. Seen a few blown tubes in 20 gauge (not in recent years) and the ones I saw shooters were reloaders who were shooting what I would call hot loads.

8. build4u

build4u Member

Man I did not read anything poo pooing Briley, the man asked if anyone had a similar problem and how to get it out. Maybe he wanted to shoot the gun before Briley reopened. He obviously tried to call he knew they were closed.

9. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

sounds like they are loose fitting in the barrels. or short ejecters pulling them out. let us know what they say.

10. dale1957

dale1957 Member

They screw together. U will unscrew them if u r not careful. Screw the halves back together, it should b fine.

11. Borderland

Borderland Member

It sounds like the chamber separated from barrel(they are different metals).
    It has not happened to me but I have seen it happen. In that event no damage was done except to the subgauge and Briley replaced it. I assume you can remove it out the breech end.

Ken

12. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

Thanks for the advise (and critism), I was not trying to flame Briley but just wanted to get the offending tube out of the gun so I could shoot the 20 ga and repair the tube as needed separately. I have been convinced to leave it alone until I talk to Briley. By the way, The tubes fit tight in the chamber, the choke tubes were changed before starting so everything was flush at the muzzle so not sure how it could have untreaded. I was shooting AA Sporting shells which are pretty hot but nowhere does it say you can not use them.

13. johnboy

johnboy Member

I have been shooting Briley tubes since 2001 and have had a 20 gauge tube fail. The failure happened shooting 1 oz. reloads and the damaged tube appeared to have swelled making it very difficult to remove. Other than an ejector comiing off that is about it. There was no charge on repair to failed tube and for the couple of ejectors I have lost over the years.

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Call Gary Singer at Briley (1-800-331-5718) and he will take care of you.

15. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

I talked to Briley today. They were very helpful as expected. I will send them the tubes and they will determine the cause and repair them as required. I'll let you know how this turns out.

Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

briley fitted 410 tubes

briley tube problems

briley tubeset problems

damaged briley choke tube

how tight should briley tubes fit at muzzel