Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Briley thin wall vs Extended thin wall choke tubes

8K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Bob Hawkes 
#1 ·
I have been told that the Briley extended thin wall tubes have a longer parallel section in them and that they have a more even pattern as compared to the flush mount tubes. Thinking of having Briley put choke tubes in my Super X 1 for sporting clays. Anyone have any experience with the extended tubes?

#3 ·
If you're having choke tubes installed in an SX-1 then you may have to have thinwalls. I have flush thinwall chokes in my 686 (installed by Briley in the early 90's). I'd like to have extended chokes because I shoot primarily steel waterfowl loads with it and I'd like to have a beefier muzzle end of the choke, but at near $100 ea I can live without them.

In general I prefer the extended chokes - a little protection for the muzzle, you don't need a choke wrench to install them, and you can tell at a glance what choke is installed.

john

#4 ·
There is no conclusive evidence that extended tubes pattern any better than flush tubes.

They are more convenient to remove, its easier to tell which choke you have in the gun, and they look cool.

That is all.

Reactions: jr7100
#5 ·
I have Briley thinwalls in my MX-8. Not enough room for extended so that wasn't an option. While there are some advantages to extended chokes keep in mind that they will add weight to the end of the barrel where the flush mounted won't. The added weight might or might not be a good thing, depending upon the situation.

#6 ·
recently had briley thin walls put in my super x-1 30" full choke barrel. they ended up being cheaper than buying a skeet barrel, wanted S26 thin wall used [so I could share chokes with another gun] but super X-1 barrels are real thin, ended up with S2 thin walls. on my way right now to the skeet range, they worked out Ok with modifed on my trap super X, I have 3 guns and share barrels. I thought it was a smart thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.