1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Briley selling my damaged barrel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DTrykow, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hi guys: I sent Briley my Rem 1100 LH barrel for chokes. They broke off the tap inside and ruined it. There now selling it, shortened of course to 26".
    It was one of the older good ones with the step rib. If intersted email ted@briley.com.

Anyway their making good on it. One of our fellow trap shooter stepped up to the plate and helped me get a replacement. Dave

2. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Your barrel is on it's way to Briley as we speak. Jeff

3. 682LINY

682LINY Member

It seems someone should teach Briley about EDM works real good for getting out broken taps with no damage to base metal,,,,we have used it for shooting the centers out of broken taps in high value pieces for years,,,,once the center is out,,,,the flutes just fall out,,,,,,Billy

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I wouldn't think a 26" Trap barrel would even sell. They'll have to choke it.
    The restriction 4+ inches down the barrel would be? Dave

Billy - Unless something else happened and their just not saying.

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Might be a good skeet barrel. That is a pretty good size tap to break off ....

6. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

I don't know about others, but I haven't been real happy with Briley lately. Bob

7. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

Bop, seems to be a trend. Always Seminole, Wrights etc.

8. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hate to say it but Big Booper but I'm with you. I had some custom S-3 made up for my 20 ga and the choke that Briley shipped the barrel with was all chewed up. We'll see what they have to say. I like Wrights but no subgauge work yet.
    Dave

9. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

For those of us in the machine tool business, did you ever stop to realize what it takes to break a tap of that size ?

10. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey Guys,

I have not seen the work done but do they use a tap? It would seem to me that it would be very costly to build a tap for all the custom chokes they make. All the differeant bore sizes?

Take care,

Jim

11. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

You guys will have to excuse my ignorance, but what's a tap? Haha, just looking to learn something here...

12. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

A tap is somethig a skeet shooter does between stations or while adjusting their to-to. motordoc---just kidding. a tool to put threads in the inside of a hole

13. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

i like that motordoc, that's good.

brett d.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

these are big taps for threading for choke tubes.

15. alpine

alpine TS Member

Unfortunately Greenfield doesn't make a double thread tap in the size and thread count required. To break a tap in a barrel would require that the tap be so worn out that the torque would come close to twisting the barrel. I have put choke tube threads in barrels and have a little experience. After 40 taps in barrels I would send out the tap to be resharpened. It 'aint worth it to ruin a barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.