1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Briley Rem-Chokes-Built to what bore ID?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I have a rem-choke barrel that I'll be getting chokes for at some point in the future. For some reason, it seems that all the makers base their chokes off of a .730 bore, whereas the barrels are typically in the .726 to .728 range (mine is .726 or .727). This means that every choke will be .004, or almost a full degree of choke, off of what its marked (meaning I'll need an IC to get .006 or a "skeet" degree of constriction). The only maker making chokes off of a .727 bore is Teague, but with no US retailer, the chokes are on the expensive side.

I emailed Briley to see what nominal ID they use for rem-choke (since they appear to be the ONLY maker that doesn't list actual choke constriction or nominal bore size on their website), and was told .740, which I find VERY hard to believe, since that would mean a LM Briley would be a .001 choke off of my barrel.

Does anyone have any better info, or better yet, could they mike a Briley rem-choke for me and report back as to what the actual ID is, then I can subtract the constriction from the ID and get to the actual nominal bore it was built for...

2. shrek

shrek Active Member

You may want to get in contact with Seminole gunworks once they get moved and unpacked in their new location.

http://www.seminolegun.com/

I know when I got some chokes from them for my browning 525 they asked me to double check the bores, and they were 0.738, not the 0.742 the promote, and Seminole said they knew that was very likely the case and the choke tubes they sent were made accordingly for the actual bore of the gun.

I have been very happy with the tubes I have from them.

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Comp-N-Choke will also build chokes to a bore diameter or used to I have not had any chokes made by them in a few years but if you give them a call I'm sure they can tell you. They did a couple for me for a Baker .800 big bore and their work was excellent. AND they will make them without the vents if you request it.

I believe Wrights will as well but they may want the barrel to verify size.

Sorry Ian I looked through all my misc assorted chokes and stuff but do not have any Rem stuff (factory or Briley) to measure for you. What does your bore measure?

--- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.