1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Briley Helix Chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grntitan, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Uh oh. ...........Neil.........Neil

2. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

I recently tried a Briley ported choke like the Helix design on my unsingle. Big mistake. It crudded up the front end of the barrel and rib and got into the rib adjustment mechanism .What a mess, and for what ??

Ned

3. Mark Lavelle

Mark Lavelle TS Member

one thing is for sure ~ you don't have to worry about keeping them tight ~ they never come loose and if you shoot it more than 10 times you will need a wrench to get it out

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, self-tightening chokes. Wonder if they self tighten the pattern, too...

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

And for what, Ned? Are you serious? Why in order to have "angled lateral ports to impart spin on the shot charge as it passes through the choke. This results in select core pellets migrating to the outer portion of the pattern. "

You can read it right there on the Briley website.

The only problem I had was the time it took to select which core pellets were to be moved to the outer portion. It had to be done before each shot and the rest of the squad started to get a little tired of it, at least that's what I guessed from what they were saying.

There will be a test of both the modified and extra-full tubes in comparison with non-Helix ones at 40 yards soon on Ron Baker's North Star Clay Target website. Stay tuned.

Neil

6. Neil Winston

And once they "lock in," - and ten shots is about right - if you don't have a choke wrench handy you grab it and twist, thinking "If my grip slips, these blades are going to peel my thumb and fingers like an apple."

Neil

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Neil,

You didn't tell him about the list.

OOPS was it a secret? LOL

aplz300 thanked this.
  8. Neil Winston

The list has already been over-subscribed, gt, you were lucky to get on it at all. Thanks for the deposit.

Neil

9. jhoward

jhoward Member

Hmm....Hastings and Ruger both had barrels with straight grooves to prevent spin and now these choke tubes impart spin. I think I smell herring....

10. Neil Winston

That reminds me, jh. When I was ready to test the Hastings Wad-Lock II barrel against a similarly-choked Hastings barrel I asked for predictions. Since, at that time at least, the prevailing theory was that wad-spin was a serious problem with non-straightrifled barrels, most predicted a 10% pattern improvement. That was, not coincidentally to my mind, about what Hastings predicted and at the time they were still in business.

Let's say the sentiment was 90/10 in favor of improvement. Here's what happened.

[​IMG]

HMB, the leader of the "better" faction, walked out on the ice to stay and had to be coaxed back with the promise of a new season of Oprah on a plasma TV in the den. Almost all the others have basically given up predicting at all but here's our chance, it seems to me, to get things rolling again.

So what's it to be, readers? What, specifically, will be the common elements of patterns produced by

Case 1. Briley extended Helix modified vs Carlson extended modified and

Case 2 Briley extended Helix Extra-full vs Briley Extended Extra-full.

and what, again specifically, will the the differences?

Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen, you have nothing to lose but your credibility and since this is TS.com, you can just change your name tomorrow anyway, so who cares?

Neil

11. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Last month, a fella at the club was patterning a new BT-99 ... with one of these Briley Helix full chokes .. using Win AA 1-1/8 #8. Looked at 3 patterns he shot from 34 yds. They were the most even patterns I had ever seen. I couldnt really make out a hot spot in the middle ... and the pellets seemed to be very evenly distributed .... no holes. I saw enough that day .... to make me want to go buy a new choke to test. If anybody has done some comparative tests with these - please post your results.

12. WiseOldBear

WiseOldBear TS Member

Classical kinematics and dynamics would not produce the result claimed by the manufacturer for the helix type choke. When still in the barrel, the pellets farthest from the centerline of the barrel would have the greatest spin radius. The other pellets would have a shorter spin radius, and the ones on the centerline of the barrel would have no spin radius. After the pellets leave the barrel, the centrifugal force on the pellets with the largest spin radius would be greatest and cause them to fly away from the center of the pattern. This is because the radially outward force is proportional to the distance from the axis of rotation. This should mean that the forces added by the rotation caused by the helix would simply make the overall pattern larger, but do nothing for making it more uniform. In order for real research to be valid, it requires an independent party to verify the claimed result. The manufacturer of helix chokes is 100% sales talk and 0% technical merit. Thank you P. T. Barnam for telling us, "There's a sucker born every minute."

13. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

The ad copy is worth ten bucks! And whats with the tightening thing? They work like an impact wrench? Do they spin backwards in the southern hemisphere?

LMAO!

14. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

It is interesting to see the results of your testing Neil. Look forward to the next batch of results. One question, Is there specific wad recommended by Hastings or by Briley for use in each of the items discussed above and or were different wads tested?

15. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

If you use windjammers, they will look like origami!

16. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Do they shred the wad on the way out? I have not seen a picture of what these look like.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

List? What list? Did I miss something?

18. Neil Winston

timb99, I mentioned the list on the thread above. As I said, there are, unfortunately, no remaining openings.

Neil

19. Neil Winston

Avaldes, as you can see in the above link, they are mega-gnarly. And carefully lightened too, though that might be just a side-effect of the spin technology. At least they won't "spoil the balance of the gun" though they are nowhere near as perfect in this regard as Müllers which are so light I had trouble keeping the gun down on the bench rest and had to keep a constant eye on it lest it drift away.

I wonder if you would care to enter the "Helix-effect guessing-game" we started above? We already have a great start, with a couple of extreme positions already under claim, though there is a lot of middle-ground with, as yet, no occupiers.

Neil

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'll bite.

My guess is the difference will be statistically insignificant.

Neil, have you tested, or do you plan to test, any of those chokes that have an internal "notch" that is intended to catch the wad and separate it from the shot so it (the wad) doesn't interfere with the shot, and mess up the pattern?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
briley helix
briley helix choke

briley helix choke review

briley helix choke reviews
briley helix choke tubes
briley helix chokes
briley helix review
helix choke tubes