1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Briley Helix Chokes update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bird30, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Well what is the verdict. How many have used them and what do you think? Are they worth the money.

Dave

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dave, While I've never used them, I find it hard to believe that anyone could re-invent the wheel and make it better. Just buy a good well made choke made buy any well known choke maker. While I believe Briley leads the way, there are several good one's out there. break em all Jeff

3. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Jeff I was just curious. I have Wright and Briley chokes for my guns and have been satisfied with them. Thanks for the reply.

Dave

4. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Snake oil.

I shot a course last week with a pair of *really* close rabbit targets. I put in my Euro Skeet Optima Chokes @ -.005" and smoked eight in a row.

Guys who count on diffusers like the Helix or Cobra chokes should just concentrate on the fundamentals (like pointing the gun in the right place) and not worry about equipment trying to compensate for deficiencies in aptitude.

5. Too Tall

Too Tall TS Member

The man wrote he got in the Master class when it was first established in the 90's! Wasn't that before Briley's Helix Choke was introduced?

Houston

6. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I have been in "Master Class" through USSCA, SCA, and now NSCA, watered down mounted gun bench rest game that it has become. I have shot fixed Modified chokes for 25 years, and do not feel that I have ever given away a target due to pattern deficiency. I cut my competitive teeth in England against the likes of Mickey Rouse, Smoker Smith, George Digweed, and John Bidwell. All who, by the way, generally handed me my ass week after week! They all shot fixed snug chokes, low gun, and broke world class scores.

I love to compete against shooters with 12 chokes in their bags. They step on the stand wondering whether or not they have made the right choke choice, instead of concentrating on putting the shot charge on the target. Are they really naive enough to think that an extra 2" spread at 40 yds. is going to give them a leg up? George Digweed, arguably the best of the best in the sporting clays world, shoots fixed IM and Full. The full focus should be on the target at hand, not on the equipment.

Briley makes fine products. But Helix, Cobra, et al. are just marketing fluff. As SevenMaryThree states above, put the barrel in the right place and the rest takes care of itself.

God bless FITASC, one of the few things that the French have done right in recent memory. Hopefully the NSCA will never have the opportunity to reduce it to the simpering common game that Americanized sporting clays has become. Mounted gun, lollipop targets, tournaments won with 98-99-100. Let's just rename it SKEET!

7. JPM

JPM Member

jktphd, No, no, no. You have to buy two in each constriction to get to Master class. Didn't they teach you anything in your doctoral program?

JPM (Ph.D.)

8. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Cheetah, USSCA #107, NSCA #500113. Good to hear that some other Vets are still out there smokin' targets.

9. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Harold,

Me thinks we have more in common than different. But I'm still going to make fun of your rifled chokes.

Paul

10. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Cheetah,

Winter in NY has been non-existent for the most part, and FITASC practice days have been most productive. Looking forward to the season's first Big Blast Shoot, the Annual Spring Deuce at Rochester-Brooks, during the last week in April. If you live within driving distance of Rochester, it is a great way to start the year. Reasonable entry fees, great (but really tough) targets, and hospitality that can't be beat. You can download registration forms from their website at RochesterBrooks.com.

Come on out. We would love to have you.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mikey rouse clay shot