1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Briley fitted tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mountainsteve, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

Thinking about 20 gauge Briley fitted tubes for my browning 425 ultra sporting clays 12 gauge. Want to shoot 20 gauge in sporting clays for fun and reduced recoil. Any advise?

2. Bill Buffalo

Bill Buffalo Member

The companion tubes are just as good and you don't have to wait 6 weeks for them to come to you. You get 2 chokes of your choice and you won't know the difference. Plus then you can shoot them in any other Browning with that bore.

3. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I have a full set of companion tubes for my 425 and they work great. They are a few ozs heavier and are about .5" short on my 30" barrels. I use them for skeet so don't know if this is an issue for SC. Joe

4. Battue

Battue Member

If you have the time, I would recommend the fitted tubes. I think that for the price difference the fitted tubes are a bit of a better product.

You may be able to save a few bucks by getting the tubes through one of Briley's dealers. You may want to consider Robert Paxton.

If you decide on getting fitted tubes, you will only need to send the barrel for 20 gauge tubes.

If you are going to use the tubes for sporting clays you may want to consider getting extended chokes instead of the flush chokes. There will be a small mark-up for the extended chokes. Briley will let you exchange their tube chokes for free if you want a different constriction at a later time.

The extruded tube holders through Briley or Americase are a nice solution for storing the tubes.

Good luck,

Pat Byrne

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Your gun will likely need to have the inertia triggers modified to work with 20ga anyways, so your best bet is to send the gun in, have fitted tubes made, and have the triggers modified at the same time. Since your going to have to send the gun somewhere to have the triggers modified, might as well get the whole thing done at once.

The companion tubes are the same quality as the fitted, but they are typically short of the end of the barrels (fitted tubes are made to w/e length you want), and typically require a tighter 12ga choke to prevent them from rattling at the end (some people have to use up to full chokes w/ their tubes because of this) due to the fact that the OD of the tube is smaller so as to accommodate any fixed choke barrels the tubes might be used in. Fitted tubes will be fit to w/e chokes you want.

Fitted tubes are an extra $50, but I think it would be money well spent for the reasons I mentioned.

6. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

My 425 worked fine with 20ga and 28ga tubes. It did not become an issue until I put in the 410s. Maybe yours is different though?

Joe

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Depends on the gun. Some can get away with everything, even the .410. Some can't even get away w/ 1oz 12ga. It should be modified by a professional for guaranteed reliability though.

8. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

If you decide to get just a set of 20ga tubes finished they will also charge you do reduce the forcing cones (if they don't then they need to make the 20ga chambers a little thinner which isn't a good idea. When you get a full set of tubes -- 20ga, 28ga and .410 reducing the forcing is, I believ, included in the over-all price.

9. Bill Buffalo

Bill Buffalo Member

The info you just got from some of these posters is incorrect. Briley does not work on your forcing cones unless you ask them to. They fit your tubes to the existing barrel the way it is. They don't do anything to your triggers unless you ask them to and most of the time a 20ga. shell will make your triggers work fine.
    I would be willing to help with info and price if you want it.
    406-670-2561

10. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Get the sidekicks in 20ga,they are basically companions without the full length tube and chokes.Imagine ,with them it would be like a 20ga with BIGBORE barrel,theyll use your existing constrictions and add 6oz total to your gun.And you give up nothing performance wise,even an increase in velocity due to the absense of wad friction,mine smash targets as hard as the full lengths or 12ga 7/8 loads,AND,if you dont like..Briley will convert them over to companions.

11. bubba68

bubba68 Member

Ditto on the Sidekicks. Since this seems to be your first attempt at subgauge tubes, I would suggest Sidekicks. No difference in balance when compared to shooting 12 ga. Believe me, if you haven't shot subgauge tubes before, it will be VERY noticeable when the full length tubes are in - gun dynamics will be different.

Besides, I understand that if you shoot Sidekicks, and want to upgrade to fitted tubes, Briley will give you full credit if you trade in the Sidekicks and so they can use the Sidekick chambers to make the full length tubes. So, if you like shooting subgauge, and want to upgrade - you are not out any money. Just a thought.

FWIW, I started shooting subguage with a 425 as well about 10 years ago. Started with the Sidekicks - which performed extremely well. My first registered 25's in skeet with both 20 and 28 were using my 425 and sidekicks.

Right now, I have a Browning XS Special, with full-length fitted Briley tubes. And, I am in the process of switching back to Sidekicks - so that gun dynamics are the same from the 12 gauge through all subgauges. (99% of the time, I am shooting 12 or 28). Many skeet shooters don't even shoot 12 ga. in the 12 ga. events (they shoot 20 or 28 ga.) - therefore it isn't a problem. But, I shoot mostly Sporting and really need the full advantages of a 12 gauge load for the 12 ga. event. The only other way to acheive this is to go with a carrier barrel to hold the subgauge tubes. And, I don't have the money for that type of setup.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

12. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

The 20 ga. Companion tubes are not all the same. They will usually have the make of the shotgun they were designed for printed on the outside of the chamber area. The 28 ga. and .410 are universal. Ron

13. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

IIRC, the main difference is long throw vs short throw ejectors.
    Long throws are browning and kreighoff,short throws are beretta,merkel,perazzi.
    As gun1357 mentioned,the 20ga companion are different,but the sidekicks are nothing more than a saami chamber sleeve with extractors attatched.
    I converted a set of 32" 12/28ga companions into sidekicks by simply parting off the aluminium tube in a lathe,I also cut off my .410`s right in front of the first band making them 14" tubes.

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I would also recommend the fitted tubes. I have seen chamber damage caused by the Companion tubes.

The Ultimate Ultralites are worth the money, in my opinion. Tubes set flush with your extended choke tubes makes changing chokes easier, and also removing and installing them. There is a reason the turnaround is so long. Folks like Briley Fitted Tubes.

Just send in the barrels. You should be able to find a local Briley distributor that will save you some bucks.

15. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Around here, Sporting Clays courses are difficult enough with a 12 gauge. I can't imagine being anywhere near competitive with a 20 gauge. I think the maximum load allowed for 20 gauge events is 7/8 oz. Usually the sub-gauge events are shot on a different or modified course.

I would save the money and aggravation on buying the sub-gauge tube set and just learn to shoot with a 12 gauge...use AA X-tra Lite 1 oz. loads (or equivalent) if recoil is a problem.

...unless missing a lot of targets doesn't bother you..

bluedsteel

16. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Shooting Coach, please elaborate on the chamber damage caused by companion tubes?
    Would you mean damage caused by careless insertion and removals?
    Or damage caused by ill fitment due to a gunmakers chamber variances?

I generally "fit" that nylon stud for hard thumb pressure going in,
    brass heads eject fine always,but a steel head will get stuck requiring entire removal.

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Billy

If the nylon stud is too long, it will be pressed into the chamber upon firing, and will leave an indentation in the chamber. I sold ONE set of companions, and had the customer's gun in my hands with the chamber damage. I no longer recommend them.

Gun worked fine, but cosmetic damage can devalue the gun.

18. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

If Briley tubes were damaging guns surely someone would sue them and they'd change their product. We have a Briley dealer at our club that has sold over 500 sets of companion tubes (I have no idea how many fitted sets also) and he said he's had one problem with the nylon being too long. It did NO damage but Briley replaced them free of charge. His name is Steve Light. I use companion tubes and have never had a problem. I bought them used for half of what they cost new. They work great

19. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

you`re only supposed to shoot target loads thru them,not game loads or steel head estates IIRC nothing hott

20. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

I have nor problems with steel head factory loads. Reloads stick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
briley 20 gauge fitted tube replacement chambers
briley fitted tube sets
briley fitted tubes
briley fixed tubes

briley sidekicks problems

browning briley 410 fitted tubes