1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Briley Companion Tube Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sierrabravo45, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sierrabravo45

sierrabravo45 TS Member

I was hoping if some of you could help me out.

I am looking at purchasing a Browning Citori 525 Golden Clays for Skeet, Trap/ Sporting too maybe. I just found out that they make the Citori 525 Golden Clays in a 4 Barrel set. So I was wondering if the 4 barrel set would be better, or if it would be better to contact Briley and get a set of tubes for 20, 16 and .410.

If you guys could help me out with the advantages of going the 4 barrel set or the Briley tubes, I would appreciate it. Mostly things such as how is the pattern compare, how long do the Briley's last. Fit/Finish and all the other stuff. I already know of the price difference. But I don't buy a lot of shotguns, and this one would be around for a long time.

Thanks for any help.

John

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

not to contradict P3 but I would get the half tubes that Rhino makes..I have a set..you get all 3 gauges for not much more than a fitted set..they can be used in any o/u you have regardless of barrel length and have their own chokes too

3. Bridger

Bridger Member

There are very few people who shoot a 4 barrel set any longer and for good reason. The full length tubes are less money and scores have improved with the full length skeet tubes. Don't waste your money with the short length tubes. You can usually go down one gauge and do okay with them but the wads don't seal in the .410 and 28 gauge very well and you end up with a lot of bloopers. I've known a few people to buy them and every one those shooters sold them. You are also going to be better off with tubes fitted to your gun by Briley or Kolar rather than Briley's Companion tubes. The Companion tubes cost just as much and while they do a good job the fitted tubes are worth the time it takes to send your gun in to have them made.

4. theodorescolt45

theodorescolt45 TS Member

Rhino Stingers - I use the Rhino Stingers in 20-28-410 with factory loads ( RIO ) and have shot over 500 rounds thru each, never had a blooper in any gauge. These are the 15" tubes with screw chokes ... not sure how a wad cannot seal in 15 inches, I've heard that with the chamber mates but not with the short Kolar, Rhino, Briley tubes. And the Rhino's can be used in all guns O/U, SxS, Single barrels just by changing the O-Rings. I would not rule them out.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

John, Browning also makes the 525 3 barrel set as well if you want to save alittle money and don't like to shoot the 12 ga. anyway. I'm also in the same boat as you are. I have been looking into buying a 3-4 barrel set to see how much they are going for and how many out there for sale. Brileys ultra light set of tubes are only 11 ounces. But I was going for the fitted set. They told me they have to stay with the barrel fitted to for life. They can not refit their fitted tubes to any other gun barrel. The revolution tubes will shoot a wide variety of shells (economy type steel base). The companion tubes have to be used with the brass hull bases like STS or AA's. So you must pay big money for shells or reload all ga.'s. If you can handle the extra weight and are a average to a stocky build, I think the tube set is your best bet. They also help to reduce the recoil because of the extra weight and help you keep swinging the gun after starting. But if you are a smaller build type of shooter the extra weight might be a handicap for you. May not be able to swing the gun well and may tire you out before you are done shooting for the day. Looks like I'm going to get mine tubed after the responces I have gotten. Good Luck one way or the other. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

difference between briley fitted and companion tubes

downside companion tubes shotgun