1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Briley chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I use Pro Shot choke tube lube and have no problems with chokes coming loose or threads getting dirty. I just tighten them by hand.

ss

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Chokes need to be tightened with a choke wrench. If you have a good choke (Brileys are among the best) and tighten it with a choke wrench it will not loosen or leak.

Jim Skeel

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I have chokes from name manufacturers: Carlson, Trulock, Angle Port, Briley, Hastings etc. Some of them loosen after a while, some of them don't. Some from the same manufacturer loosen after a while, others don't. Some I tighten by hand and remove with a wrench. Never been able to figure out why but any that show leakage are thrown away.

I just carry a choke key in my pocket.

MK

4. willing

willing Member

MK If you have any INV+ you are throwing away, please throw in my direction.

Bill

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

A little piece of plumbers teflon tape wrapped around the threads will cure the loose fitting choke tube.

6. skeeljc

"choke keys" are not choke wrenchs. You need at least a 2.5" lever arm to properly torque a choke. You must put enough torque on the choke to establish a preload between the choke seat and the threads. That perload is what will keep the choke tight and keep it from leaking. You cannot establish enough preload with your fingers or a "choke key".

Jim Skeel

7. Unknown1

<I>"You need at least a 2.5" lever arm to properly torque a choke.</I>

Remember the Cold War mantra "Trust. but verify"? I'm curious to know the source of this. I've never read anything like that in any choke manufacturer's literature.

Several gunsmiths have told me, in essence, "Make it tight but don't try to kill it."

MK

8. skeeljc

Unknown1 -- The source is basic Mechanical Engineering. There have been several books written on how to keep threaded fasteners from comming loose.

Jim Skeel

9. Unknown1

If you say so; give me the torque spec for the thread pitch of an Invector Plus tube installed with Tetra Choke Lube and I'll see if I can achieve it with a 2.5" lever.

MK

10. skeeljc

No torque spec. Just needs more torque than what you can achieve with your fingers or a "choke key".

I have seen too many chokes destroyed from plastic being driven between the choke and the barrel. That is where you will end up someday if you only tighten them with your fingers.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.