1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Briley Chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bkt514, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Quick question about Briley Thin walled choke. I have a thinned walled choke marked S-54 Mod. Would that be a .025 constriction??

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Modified choke is usually .020

3. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Thanks....

4. nudehunter1

nudehunter1 Member

get a dial venier and measure the inside dimension of the bore side of the choke, then measure the inside dimension of the out side of the choke, subtract the difference and look at the chart on brileys site [bore sizes and constrictions]. it will work.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

nude, not exactly. the bore side of the choke is usually a little larger than the bore to prevent any possibility of snagging which could be bad. Any that I have measured have had a little step where the choke tube starts.

HM

6. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

Halfmile is right. Typically most manufacturers use 0.010 for clearance sake to take into account barrel variations, offset threads, etc. They don't want any chance of the choke skirt protruding into the bore. You can easily see this looking into the bore or feel it with a dowel, etc.

Some custom choke makers will make their choke mouths closer to actual bore size, but not the typical "off the shelf" tube.

7. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I thought it might be a simple question, where I could go look it up on the net. I could not seem to navigate around Briley web-site and find information.

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Here's the info from Briley's site...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.