1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Briley Choke/Remington

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by schneep, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schneep

schneep Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I have returned to trap shooting after a 30 year lull!! But I guess I could be considered a "newbie"
    I shoot a Remington 870 trap grade, 30in/ full choke tube. I have looked at the Briley tubes and am interseted in their black/ported full choke tube. Other than a little reduction in recoil, is there any advantage.
    I shoot regularly at 16 yards and practice at 23 and 27 yards, normal score at 16 is 22/24.
    I shoot the 870 because it fits me perfectly and I am very comfortable with it, but am looking at a BT-99 which is for sure in the near future. I am also looking at the purchase of the wall chart system.

Thank you,

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2006
    It's all about pattern. Spend some time at the patterning board with your current set-up, then decide if you want to spend some money on a new choke. I wouldn't bother with a ported one. They are a pain to clean, and I can't tell any advantage. You see, I have have been reeled in a few times by a shiny new choke, myself. :) Mark
  3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    If your breaking good scores now and like the gun why change anything????? Spend the extra $$$$ on more shooting pick that avg. up a little. Wish I could still stay 22-24 from 16yds. Ross Puls
  4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009

I also returned to trap after about a 35 year hiatus. Wish I had done it sooner. I have found the Rem Chokes to be very good, especially in an 1187 with the .740 bore. I use Briley's in my Ljutic (at the time my gun was made Ljutic was sending barrels to Briley for tubes). I am very pleased with the Brileys but also with the performance of the Rem Chokes in the 1187. If gun patterns well and breaks targets with authority there is probably little to gain by going to Brileys. Ported chokes will not reduce recoil enough to notice, if at all.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to change guns, especially if you are comfortable with the 870.

Welcome back, Marc
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does briley comp choke help with remington 870 recoil

ported choke tube advantage

remington wingmaster trap ported