1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Briley 28 Ga. Companions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scottk, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottk

Scottk TS Member

I just purchased a set of Briley 28 Ga. Companions for my Browning 525, 30" barrels. The tubes are 29.5" long. I also purchased 2 Briley flush mount invector plus choke tubes marked .690. There is still a little play between the 28 Ga. tube and the choke tube. When I close the gun there is a little vibration. Is this a problem and if so what can be done to correct it.
    Thanks,
    Scott

2. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

What choke do you have in the barrel? Put in a tighter choke and it should help.

Paul

3. Scottk

Scottk TS Member

I believe a 12 ga. .690 is extra full. That is .040 restriction. I'm not sure if I can go any tighter or who would have a tighter choke tube available.
    Scott

4. Guy

Guy Member

Masking tape will work fine.

5. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Duct tape works wonders

6. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

The first thing I would do is call Briley, they can most likely fix your problem.

Were the 28 ga companions tubes bought specifically for your Browning? They are not all the same and the Browning 525 has backbored barrels (invector plus chokes).

I owned a set of the correct tubes for my 525 and they fit very tight using skeet chokes. Do you have access to a micrometer? If so, check the outside diameter of the ends of your companion tubes. That will tell you everything you need to know.

Good luck!

Bob

7. Scottk

Scottk TS Member

I did talk them before the purchase and was led to believe all 28 ga. tubes were the same and would fit my 525. The tubes were sold as used but had never been installed in a gun. I had used a friends 20 ga. companion set and they fit fine with invector plus skeet chokes. The instructions that came with the 28 ga. tubes said that typically tighter chokes are required for smaller gage companions. I then purchased the .690 choke tubes (after talking to Briley)and there is still a little play. The end of the 28 ga. companion checks .682.

8. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

aircondtion tape works well

9. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Skottk, I am wrong about the companion tubes.
    I just pulled mine out of my Winchester 101 and miked them. They are .718 at the first lug and like your, about .684 on the end. I just never noticed them rattle. They shoot very well. The bore of the 101 measures .730. The one I referenced above was a set of fitted tubes I had for my old 101, not the companion tubes I used to have for my 525.

I have heard of people using tape around the ends. Mine shoots ok without doing that.

Bob

10. santa fe 2343

santa fe 2343 Member

Try coating end of tube with finger nail polish. I have Briley extra fuels in my beretta 682 GE, still had a small amount of play coated end of tube with finger nail polish seems to work

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I agree with Santa fe as well. Use some fingernail polish where ever you notice a small rattle so to speak. If its to tight it will spread itself around, if it still rattles add some more. I do recomend that you get the specs from Briley and measure your gun to see if they will work and all is OK as well. Breake-m all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

28 ga chokes for shooting trap