1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BRIGHT sights or NO SIGHTS?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I just had a wonderful experience with the people at Hi-Viz, and I am currently using their green front sights in both my guns, but a licensed shooting instructor recently told me to get rid of the bright sights and suggested I should probably remove the front sight entirely and just shoot off the end of the barrel. Just wondered what you guys were shooting and what your opinions were on the bright (Hi Viz) front sights. Jack

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Whatever works for you is best ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The last time I looked, the guys who were winning at the Grand had front sights.

I like bright sights, but haven't put one on the gun I'm shooting now (yet) and it doesn't seem to hurt just having the stock white one.

Neil

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I shoot guns with little replaceable light pipes in the front sight. A bright one in the daylight distracts me so I use one that's painted flat black. At night under lights I need a reference for the end of the barrel at some clubs cause the light's so bad. Then I use the smallest white pipe the sights come with.

MK

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I use the small 2mm diameter Uni-Dot P200 green hooded fiber optic bead on my trap guns and don't find them the least bit distracting. I have a Hi-Vis red bead on my field gun, but I seem to shoot better in the field with a tape patch on my left lens to prevent the cross-fire. I focus on the target but notice the bead in my peripheral vision.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am a bit different. I have a bright green Hi Vis sight on the end of my barrel but I colored it black with a magic marker. You will not find many other shooters with a green glow sight colored black.

I put on the green sight at the insistence of a good friend. I colored it black on the advice of a top shooter. Now, I suppose, both are happy. Neither the green sight nor coloring it black made much difference with my shooting. I can lift my head with any color of sight on the end of the barrel.

Pat Ireland

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I need a Uni-Dot to prevent crossfiring.

But... if you look directly at the dot, you will miss.

You must look at the clay, and with peripheral vision, bring the dot to the clay and sweep through it.

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Some of you guys should come and check out the two eyed thread debate right now. According to some in the thread the front bead is just a distraction and unnecessary.

9. straightsixes

straightsixes TS Member

Calkidd,

It obvious you are begging for assistance on the other thread. For the average shoot any game... shoot any bird... shotgunner its not recommended to measure a target using a bead.

In trap you can get away with it at more than other situations (because there isn't a ton of movement to the barrel).

Before you get all worked up... go to a skeet or sporting clay range (yuck I know) range and work on really putting 99+% focus on the front edge of a target (OR on whatever is the easiest part of the target to focus on... could be center ring). With that remaining less than 1% of your peripheral vision... you may or may NOT actually sense the barrel.

What you will notice is that focus on the target will dramatically slow down the target to your brain. Its much easier to "control" and shoot, and in the end will be more easier to consistently shoot.

In these other games the target is rising, falling, curling, twisting, coming in, bouncing etc... the time it takes to measure with a site... its too late. You might hit some, but you will struggle to control and hit them all. Does that make sense?

Before you get frustrated with the advice of others to focus on the targets... try it sometime. It may blow your mind.

PM if you want to discuss or yell at me... not a problem.

Enjoy the process of becoming a great shooter.

10. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I had problems with a hi vis when I was shooting with my back to the bright evening sun in Texas. It was so bright, I could not find the target. I went back to a plain white bead, and that problem went away. I liked the hi vis in other circumstances.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Does not matter what bead, to me.

12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

SS, I am not a all knowing shooter, but I am not new at the sport. I have no issues with what is being said and I completely agree with what Wireguy said. I NEVER look at the bead when I call for the target nor do I look at the bead when the target appears. But if the bead is a non existent (according to what some say) tool then why is there a bead in the first place. HEll remove the rib, bead, comb if this is the case. I am not begging for assistance I was not the original poster, but when a comment that is being made makes no sense at all I will reply. Maybe I could go about it differently, but what was said by some of the posters just didn't make any sense and I was trying to make sense of it.

The main issue I had with that thread was the way one of the members approached the thread. There is no reason to be a complete ass in order to get your point across.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

foluresent trap shooting barrels

no sights trap shooting