1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian of Oregon

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Private messages?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    [​IMG]<br>
    <br>
    What's weird is that Remington discontinued that model, but I still have a working link to it:
    1187 Upland Special.<br>
    <br>
    Remington made the Upland Special in 12 & 20 ga from 2000 to either 2005 or 2006. The polished blue 1187 models with wood stocks are being phased out of production. Matte finishes and synthetic stocks, more suitable for hunting in bad weather but not as attractive, are standard now.<br>
    <br>
    As you know, these have a straight grip English stock. The stock dimensions are pretty much the same as a field stock, less the curved grip. I didn't find the handling of the stock to be anything to write home about, but I like the light contour 23" barrel.<br>
    <br>
    The 23" light contour barrel is pressure compensated, and will cycle light 2-3/4" and heavy 3" loads. They have Rem Chokes.<br>
    <br>
    The older 870 Special Field had a shortened forend and the barrel was unique to that model, because the barrel hanger was moved closer to the receiver. This was to shed weight, and it handles faster than the 1187 Upland Special. The barrel on the 1187 Upland Special has the gas chamber ("barrel hanger") in the standard location, so you can interchange any 1187 barrel with it (though the forend is set up for a light contour barrel).<br>
    <br>
    I wanted one of these in 20ga, but I'd put a regular stock on it. Remington makes an 1187 Sportsman Youth Camo 20ga, that has a 21" barrel and synthetic stocks. Because of the weather here (rain, rain and more rain) it's more suitable for me than a blued wood stocked 1187.<br>
    <br>
    But back to the 1187 Upland Special - if it's the shorter barrel you're looking for, I've seen them offered for sale used from time to time, including a couple here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.