1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian in Oregon

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tripod, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be smarty pants Brian, but I really know nothing about what McCain did to you folks in Oregon. Please enlighten if you would. Tripod

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Gun owners in Oregon owe him a great debt of gratitude.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

...or not, lol.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Tripod, the anti-gun people in Oregon got a ballot initiative going to "close the gun show loophole". They claimed gang bangers were going out to the local gunshows and were buying weapons by the trunk full. (Funny how I'd never seen a gang banger at a gun show - just overweight white men).<br>
    <br>
    But this ballot initiative was really a vehicle to authorize the state police to maintain a database of all gun transfers going through a dealer, meaning every NICS check (actually done by the Oregon State Police) would result in a permanent record listing you and the gun(s) you bought. Basically involuntary gun registration. Going back a bit, the state police had been keeping this database before the ballot initiative got passed, but it was not authorized by law and was unlawful. A lawsuit was being worked on to eliminate it, which many suspect is the real reason for the rush to authorize it by sneaking it into the ballot initiative.<br>
    <br>
    Where John McCain enters the picture is that, despite what his current claim is, he was trying to close the gun show loophole in congress and at the state level. He came to Oregon and campaigned on behalf of this ballot initiative. And he's not even a representative of the Oregon people? What business did he have coming here and sticking his nose in it?<br>
    <br>
    The bottom line is John McCain helped foist gun registration on Oregon gun owners, and "solved" a non-existent "problem" with gun shows.<br>
    <br>
    John McCain has reinvented himself as a pro-guner, but we in Oregon know better.<br>
    <br>
    Now, if anyone wants to vote for John McCain, that's up to them and their conscience. I'm not saying don't vote for McCain. I'm saying just know the truth about him, then make your decision. My conscience says I can't support a lying backstabbing anti-gunner. I see no difference between John McCain reinventing himself as a pro-gunner, and John Kerry doing the same thing.

5. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Brian, Maybe they will kick him off the ballot for not being a legal and open the door up for Huckabee!

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Brian; Why take it to the extremes that you do?? You want to blame him for it all. Maybe you don't know the whole story. Cast you vote for OBAMA that will show him.

Don

7. bocephus

bocephus Member

Maybe if more people took a stand like Brian does this country wouldn't be in such a mess. Maybe we would have real conservatives in government instead of the losers we have now. Ok roll over and go back to sleep...............

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Big Don, I'd sure like to hear your definition of "the whole story" LOL. I need some light entertainment, let'er rip!

9. KenC

KenC Member

What "bocephus" said...Ditto

Brian is probably one of the best informed posters on this forum.

I've never caught him with only "half the story" on any of his posts.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Brian I don't know the whole story and I don't have time to research it BUT you again, as you have in the past, are trashing the only Repub. candidate out there. I am realistic enough to know that the best thing going for gun owners in this election is McCain, though not my first choice. If you and others that you convince throw your vote to a third party candidate then you have aided the anti=gunners meaning super liberal Obama.

It's your vote throw it away if you want. If Obama gets in you will have a full time job reporting all the anti-gun legistation that is introduced.

I think your heart is in the right place but I don't always agree with the way you express it. Glad I could entertain you for a few seconds and that you only yourself now.

Don

11. davnport

davnport Member

What Don said..!

Brian, I'm in total agreement with everything you said, except for your conclusion.

I reconcile my dilemma thusly: However bad McCain may seem, he stands head and shoulders above the Democrat contenders. Hillary's a snake, and Obama's.. well I can't come up with a suitable description. I am sure that on a scale of Bad, McCain is orders of magnitude up the scale ahead of them. I agree he's not all the way to the good end, but I'll have to live with that, considering the alternatives..

Carl Davenport

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

The best thing we can do is elect as many conservative legislators as possibe. This will help stop a lot of the communist crap the dems are going to try and throw at us.

Jim

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The Republican Party is a minority party with a very vocal right wing. Republicans have been victorious in the past by being united and attracting enough independents and Democrats (Reagan Democrats for example) to achieve a majority. Ronald Reagan always supported his party’s nominee.

What I see happening is some portion of the Republican right having difficulty in supporting a moderate Republican. John McCain is not ultra right but he is certainly not a far left liberal as some on the right would make him out to be. He is pro Iraq and pro life. He is also pro Israel and that position will serve him well in New York and Florida.

Many on the Republican right probably will not support John McCain and this is sad. They will vote for a third party candidate or simply stay home. In some of their views, the lesser of two evils is still evil.

The other side of this argument is that the greater of two evils can be very damaging to Republican right principles such as right to life, second amendment interpretation, less government, lower taxes and so on.

How bad can the greater of two evils be, you may ask. A Democrat president will control judicial appointments including three seats on the Supreme Court. I do not think it too far a reach to say that a revised court could interpret the second amendment to mean that only organized members of a State’s National Guard are allowed to “bear arms”. Private ownership of firearms would then be turned on its ear.

Gun shows could become a thing of the past with all firearms transactions being required to go through a state agency, similar to automobile registration. And yes, repulsive as it seems, you would be required to register each and every firearm and to purchase an annual license for it. After your guns are registered, many guns may be deemed “inappropriate” for civilian ownership due to their caliber, rapidity of fire, ease of reloading and “no body hunts with those types of guns anyway” kind of logic.

Oh, this could never happen you say. Why there are over 4 million NRA members and tens of thousands of registered trap, skeet, sporting clays and other discipline shooters. Well, there approximately 180 – 200 million registered voters. Approximately 122 million voters participated in the 2004 presidential election.

Many of the 180-200 million registered voters are not firearms owners and equate guns with crime. Collect all the guns and crime will go down. We know that this is not true but these voters, especially elderly in urban areas, can be easily swayed.

The greater of two evils could be pretty tough.

Even more troubling to me is the thought of some Republicans not supporting the party’s nominee because they are not a right wing nominee. Well, if moderate or liberal Republicans did this, there would never be a right wing winner because the Republican right wing is no where near a majority of voters.

In sum, the greater of two evils could result in significant impairment of the second amendment as we know it. If you are a Republican, you need to support your party’s candidate. If you are pro gun, of any party affiliation, you need to vote for the Republican nominee.

If you really can not support John McCain, that is your right. But please, quit bringing minor anti-gun legislation to my attention if you are not willing to vote to prevent the greatest threat to the second amendment that has surfaced in many years.

IMO, if the Democrats win the presidency, all anti gun legislation passed to date will be overshadowed by the overturning of the individuals right to “bear arms” by a liberal Supreme Court.

Respectfully submitted,

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.