1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian in Oregon again!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I replied on the other thread. Here's a copy:

The answer is "maybe".

I just installed an 1187 light contour barrel on a 1972 vintage 1100 Trap gun last month, along with a synthetic universal 1100/1187 forend. It functioned flawlessly. Also tested it with the 1187 forend. It also functioned slawlessly, but the mag tuube cap had to be held on by using an o-ring as a lockwasher under it. I also tried the original 1100 forend without the 1187 gas shield (won't fit over the gas shield). It worked, but the gas impinges upon the wood and there is no exhaust port cut into the wood for the pressure compensating ports.

On the other hand, sometimes 1100 and 1187 barrels won't interchange. Some here have found they won't function at all, or they cycle intermittently. The issue seems to be primarily in how well of a seal the o-ring can make.

So, if you have the barrels already, no harm done giving it a try. If you are looking to buy a barrel, I'd stick to the same model barrel as the receiver.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Mag tube diameter is the same. The difference is the material (stainless steel for the 1187 vs carbon steel for the 1100), which really makes no difference in function. And the location of the o-ring groove. The gas ports are .200" closer to the muzzle on an 1187 because of the extra inside space needed in the gas chamber for the pressure compensating ports. This moves the wall of the gas chamber forward, and the o-ring as well.

I have an unproven theory way some 1187 barrels will not function on an 1100. The o-ring is installed in the groove, and then the 1187 barrel is added. The o-ring never mates with the gap at the junction of the forward gas chamber wall and the mag tube.

If the o-ring is placed a inch or more above the o-ring groove, then upon assembly the barrel would push the o-ring into position, and it would remain where needed. That's how I always assemble mine when I interchange barrels.

I have not done enough testing to prove that this is why some 1187 barrels will not work on 1100's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.