1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bretta vs Briley Chokes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by strohkr, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strohkr

strohkr TS Member

I have a Bretta 391 with factory chokes - some from my gun club have told me to purchase Briley chokes and toss the factory ones. Kinda hard for me to swallow since the Briley chokes are so ungodly expensive. Any suggestions??
    Thanks!! Greg.

2. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I would not toss anything but I would have them measured. I bought a DT-10 with Optima chokes. Could not get clean breaks with a imp mod from the 16. Was convinced it was me. Measured it and it had .009 constriction--a very far cry from imp-mod. Checked the rest and they were OK Everybody makes mistakes!

3. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

If you have a choke that is off and too tight; you may be able to take it to a gunsmith who has a choke reamer. He can leaving the choke tube in the barrel, ream it out and even it out. I have my own reamers, cost $70.00, and have done so successfully. I won`t do anybody elses as I don`t have the insurance to risk it.

4. Rockeee1

Rockeee1 TS Member

I just can't believe you can improve my beretta IM optima choke.I have a 682 e gold with a IM choke it justs ink balls at the 16.Someone would have to prove to me a aftermarket choke could produce a better pattern.Perhaps it is a simple as using the right load to achieve the performance you require.Perazzi's and Kreighoff's do not offer better performance in thier barrel's and chokes,if they do i can't find it.My beretta just throws better more consistent patterns than my more expensive guns.I do use the same loads in all my guns,perhaps i am not using the right load in my expensive guns.I know this,i have not seen nor do i own a gun that out performs the optima barrel and choke system.If someone is going to bad mouth beretta they need to come shoot my gun,i will be more than happy to let anyone use it.Again seeing is believing.Regards Rocky

5. front242

front242 Member

Pat,

what are you using to measure your chokes and barrels? I'm sure it's some kind of mic but what exactly?

Thanks in advance!

Tim

6. Rockeee1

Rockeee1 TS Member

I don't remember anybody saying a word about handicap.Actually i would go to a tighter choke,however,some would argue that concept as well.A digital bore mike gives you one part of the equation and i respect your math,However if it were that easy everyone would have a perfect pattern.Again,i have a factory optima barrel and IM choke and it out performs everything i see and own.I will be glad to send it to you and you can copy the dimensions.Regards Rocky

7. Rockeee1

Rockeee1 TS Member

Hi Pat
    Let me say,it is a pleasure exchanging these ideas and knowledge.I confess,i can only speak for my shotgun.And i must admit,i use the beretta extended chokes.Yes,this combination,beretta got right.My point in answer to the thread is,this pattern and performance clearly cannot be improved on by the purchase of a aftermarket substitute choke or high end guns.If you shot this gun from the 16 you would be forced to agree,now the question that comes out of this,is this factory performance isolated?You seem to think so,only more beretta shooters could verify this.Regards Rocky

8. LadyDustM

LadyDustM TS Member

I replaced my factory Browning with Briley and swear I gained at least 2 more birds. I don't understand why they seem to skip on the least expensive part of the gun.

9. Woodstock

Woodstock TS Member

This thread got me concerned enough to measure my Optima Chokes and compare them to factory specs. Assuming the Optima bore is .733 my full has a .040 constriction, IM has .029, M has .018, IC has .010 & the Euro skeet has a negative constriction. I believe that this conforms to the Beretta specs. The first time I shot trap with my 391 Parallel I discovered that the IM was damaged and would not fit in the barrel. Beretta replaced it within one week and it had the same constriction. FWIW, the Euro Skt (.759) smokes the birds on a skeet field.

10. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

i just wish the optima chokes had a better tool for tightening them mine come loose all the time

11. vaguru

vaguru Member

For what it's worth.
    My 682 Gold E chokes measure as follows:
    IC .722
    Mod .714
    IM .703
    Full .692 (both)

As I also have Briley Extended tubes, they measure:
    Mod .711
    IM .706
    Full .696
    Ex Full .690

All tubes mod and tighter smoke 16's. I use 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads only. Now the bore mics .735, so the restrictions are from .021 to .048. Nothing wrong with the factory tubes I have, and the best tubes for my loads, timing and technique, including the pattern papers, are the IM's. They give the best overall pattern, but I do shoot the Mod's at 16 when the weather is nice.

For informational purposes only.

12. front242

front242 Member

This thread is interesting to me because I've been considering some Briley or some other brand aftermarket chokes for my Beretta. I went from a fixed full browning to a new (to me) Beretta SPIII sporting with the extended optima chokes. I had to go to the Modified Optima extended tube to match what was going on with the fixed full in the Browning with the same load. Now I need to figure out how to mic my tubes and barrel.

Rockee, I think Pat's point is that while you may indeed have a clay crushing machine with your setup, the Beretta tubes are known to be inconsistent in their sizing. Another sample of a similarly labeled Beretta tube might not shoot worth a darn. He never doubted your success, only questioned Beretta's quality control.

Tim

13. Bob Wilson

Bob Wilson TS Member

I shoot Beretta exclusively. I have replaced my Beretta chokes with Brileys. I have learned at the patterning board that Brileys shoot tighter than a Beretta, but have much better patterns and pellet distribution.

14. Rem Nut

Rem Nut TS Member

I had a Beretta 682 Gold e Sporting witht the extended optima chokes. The tubes measured all over the place, some of the poorest quality control I have ever seen. as i recall the IM choke miked out a about .040 or what briley considers extra full. I had a Light mod choke that was marked light mod on the colored ring, but the choke was rollmarked IC and measured what an IC should. Most of the others seemed to be about 2 restrictions tighter than what they were marked. After complaining to beretta several times they finally replaced them with new choke that were reasonably correct. If I am buying choke tubes, I always buy Briley. The always measure what the are marked. If it says IM it is .025, if it it says full it is .035 etc. Also their optima chokes can actually be tightened with out coming loose or breaking the end off the el cheapo stamped beretta wrench.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 391 factory chokes vs aftermarket
beretta 692 aftermarket chokes
beretta choke negative constriction
beretta extended vs briley
beretta factory chokes

beretta vs briley choke tubes

briley choke reamer

briley chokereamers