1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bret Favre: A True Champion and Hero

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bobby ward, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Many people will disagree with anything said here in support of this man and some will argue that this is a non shooting related thread, but I just had to say something about this guy.

First of all, Bret Favre is a gun owner and a hunter and he does shoot sporting clays and some trap although in competition. What he does do well is play football with incredible ability and skill. After his announcement last winter that he would return for the 2007 season, he was accused of being a glory hound and only after Dan Marino's records. I think that is totally unfair.

Ask any of Favre's team mates and they will tell you differently. He is the ultimate team player. Two times in his career, he went to the Packers and asked that his salary be restructured so that they could sign a significant player or two to make the team more competitive. The first time brought Reggie White to Green Bay. The second was last year when he offered up more of his salary to free up money to sign Randy Moss or other high quality receiver.

On breaking Marinos career touchdown record last Sunday, Favre spoke first of the team and how important the win was and how the record would be diminished if they had lost and the team was doing poorly. He talked of the record being a high personal honor but also gave credit to his team mates over the years for helping him accomplish it. And finally he talked of Marino and how it was a privilege and honor to be compared to him.

The game is better when men like Bret Favre are the champions on and off the field. I hope he plays forever..

2. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

I do agree that he is a great football player but to say he is a hero is a little too much. That is what is wrong with this country, we idolize people who play a GAME and pay them millions of dollars but ignore the true hard working heroes of this country.

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I don't know either about being a hero, but he sure has attained the level of an "elite" role model,as well as players like Cal Ripken and Dan Marino. No comparison to idiots like Vick, Rodmen, or Tyson. It's a shame that the media cannot ever report more on the "good".

Brett did have a few little demons in his past, but found resolution. I think it made him a better person. It was just a glitch in his life.

I think we all may have strayed at one time or another in our lifetimes, were comfronted, corrected them, and became better persons.

Congratulations Brett.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Hero?

He may be to some people, but to me, those who gave their lives in defense of our country are the real "hero's".

Hauxfan!

5. oletymer

oletymer Member

Hauxfan has it right, they are the true heros. Athletes, never.

6. KiloMike

KiloMike TS Member

I agree that our men and women in uniform are the real heroes. Our freedom was not a gift, and it has not been purchased for us. It is a lease, and the payment comes due every day in the way of the blood, sweat, toil, and tears of of those men and women and their families who sacrifice so that we can watch people like Bret Favre and company play a kid's game at a professional level. God bless our armed forces, present, past and future.

Now, that being said, I had the opportunity when I was in college to go fishing with Bret. My roomates were from southern Mississippi and one of them went to school with Bret's brother. We were fishing on their property when Bret came walking out to the lake and started fishing. The funny thing was, if you didn't know who he was, he wasn't going to tell you. He had only been in the league a couple of years by then, but he was already a name. He certainly seems to have a degree of modesty and humility which are a welcome change from what we see elswhere in the league. He is a great guy.

Kevin

PS. Bret can backlash a baitcasting reel just like us mortals!

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Definitely a Champion, you have to define Hero before I go that far.

Still gonna smile when the Chicago Chipmunks get vaporized.

HM

8. mizzou

mizzou TS Member

Yep, He's a HERO !! Mizzou

9. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Champion perhaps, hero? give me a break. He is just another over paid pre Madonna that makes millions playing a kids game. How about the Marines in Iraq that make peanuts compared to him. They are the Hero's. Richard

10. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Bret Farve has never put his life on the line for my children. I would not classify him as a hero. I personally don't know him. All he is to me is a great quarterback that plays pro football.

There are a lot of other people in this world not known to anyone other than those they may come into contact with in this life who are heros in my book, including my father, Ralph S. Morris-(purple heart, silver star, WWII veteran). God Bless America and those whose blood was shed for our freedom.

Chris Morris

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

A great athlete, a role model, a team player, YES. Hero, NO. Please reserve that title for those that give their all to protect your way of life & some give more. Please say a prayer for all those in uniform regardless where they serve.

Big Jack

12. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

The fighing men and women of the United States armed services are indeed heros of the highest order and I'll fight any man who says differently.

That does not diminish this mans status in my eyes. For those who need a hard definition, Websters defines hero as: 1. A man who has performed brave deeds. 2. any person admired for noble qualities or special achievements.

I admire Favre as much or more for the things he does off the field and for the fact that when he became addicted to prescription pain killers and had to have treatment for the addiction, he did NOT duck the heat. He addressed it on national TV and took the heat of the press and his detractors like a real man. He has spoken to schools and youth groups using his situation as an example and showing that you can overcome and be better for such things.

You may disagree folks, but in my mind and in my eyes he is a hero for that alone.

God Bless our vets past present and future....

13. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

What a load- Bret is a great football player but isn't any more a hero than Randy Moss.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Randy Moss and his antics are a far cry from BF's demeanor.

the scrapper is way above the rapper.

HM

15. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Brett,would never consider himself hero! He would say the young men and women in the military are the real hero's. Brett might consider himself a good athlete and possibly a role model. He is a decent hunter and a decent shot both with a bow and shotgun. Brett is the ultimate blue collar QB. His QB mechanics may be the worst in the NFL but it works for him. Besides the ability to throw lazer beams, he is also been known to run the ball and even throw some pretty nifty crack back blocks when he was younger.

No other QB in NFL history has played more consecutive games, three more passes, won more games, more TD's and had his personal tragedies exposed on T.V. more than Brett Favre. He is the only NFL Player to win the MVP three years in a row. Putting aside the personal accolades its the intangibles you can't quantify when you talk about Brett Favre. How many times did Brett Favre play injured when most NFL qb's would sit out. How many players in the NFL would play right after a parent died or a brother in law accidently killed, or with their wife stricken with breast cancer. How many players rebound after a personal drug problem? Yet through all the adversity Brett Favre continued to show up every Sunday.

How does a qb achieve football greatness not having recievers like Jerry Rice & Dwight Clark, Mark Clayton & Mark Duper, The Three Amigos for Elway, Moss & Carter for Minn, Winslow and Jefferson for Fouts. Favre has generally had one solid reciever in different era's, Sterling Sharpe, Antonio Freeman, Robert Brooks and Donald Driver. The rest of the reciever corp were pretty much journeyman players.

Brett is in the twilight of his career. I've been so lucky to get watch him over the years. I've seen Brett make some of the greatest passes and some of worst decisions ever on a football field. Yet, I can't think of one QB, I would rather have to take me down field with 60 seconds left in the game. Brett is a true competitor! Even after he physically leaves football his persona will loom for years. He is the best of the best!

Rick Brohmer

16. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Anybody who doesn't like football is a commie pinko who should be deported to North Korea.

17. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

He has good athletic ability, but a hero....Naw!This just proves that if you eat enough Crawdads while growing up like he did in southern La, you to can throw footballs to !

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Don't we all pick our own heros? I think it is very important to have heros in our lives. They are not all Audey Murphy's but heroic in our own eyes.

If Bobby wants to have a hero it's up to him to pick them. Same for you.

It's still a free country.

19. EricBT100

EricBT100 TS Member

if you think athletes are overpaid, you need a lesson in economics....

20. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Just another Re Hab drugger with a good arm...........Roger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.