1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

breech pressure

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapman99, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapman99

trapman99 TS Member

im new at reloading an i get alot of different info on this subject what is the max psi on a shotgun i started a post last week the recipe iwas going to use is on the imr website but it was 11500 psi everyone said stay away from the load but if its on the site it should be safe right

2. trapman99

trapman99 TS Member

its winchester aa federal 209a 18.5 grains 700x blue duster 1 1\8 oz 7 1\2

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

trapman, I contiue to NOT find that recipe in my IMR manual - which does happen to be an '07 printing. First the blue duster isn't listed at all but substituting the WAA12 wad which it's supposed to resemble, I see 1 1/8 oz of shot, Fed 209a primer, AA hull and only 17.5 grains of 700X at 1200fps and 11,300 PSI as the maximum load listed with those components. With that being the maximum recommended, I'd not even be happy substituting the wad and stamping your recipe as OK. I can only wonder if your IMR recipe book is a later printing and has the change you suggest, you could well be safe.....Bob Dodd

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bob Dodd, and the TinMan are correct. I just looked it up on their website as well. Max load listed is the 17.5 gr.s of 700X. Look for yourself (Win. AA wad subsitute). go to Hodgdon.com on their website and look it up yourself if you don't believe us. If it is not their it is not published because their website is as current as it gets. Good Luck and Be safe. Break-em all. Jeff

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

trapman99

It's the same answer to the same question you asked before. It's not a load that I would recommend using. You should try to keep your pressures well below 10,000 PSI if you expect your gun to last for awhile. A continuous diet of high pressure loads can eventually cause excessive wear and fatigue, or other damage to the gun and possibly the shooter and bystanders. If you have a problem with that advice, I'd strongly suggest that you stop reloading and just buy factory ammo. Your EXACT components are NOT listed in the data on the Hodgdon site, nor could I find your load in any other data that I have on hand. It appears to be quite hot (High Pressure) when compared to similar components.

It is my Not-So-Humble opinion that a beginner or inexperienced reloader should not be pushing the envelope when it comes to pressures or swapping components. If I have misjudged your experience level, then an experienced reloader should already know that the load is questionable and should NOT be used, IF he had any common sense.

But be my guest, if you ask the question again, I'm sure you might eventually find someone that will agree that your load is "safe".

My best advice if you need confirmation, would be to ask the powder manufacturer about the load and see what they say. Just remember that they will usually accept no liability for your actions or their advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.