1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Breech plug in Browning Unsingle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chargerdan13, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chargerdan13

chargerdan13 Member

Any help,
    My father has an Citori Ultra XT Trap 32" over/under shotgun and has been using
    it for years now and he recently bought the Citori XT trap combo with 34"
    unsingle and 32" doubles, but has been struggling with the un-single. He
    thinking it maybe the weight difference between his old gun and the unsingle.
    The questions is, we notice that the unsingle has the removable breech plug and
    was wondering if anybody has any info about possible putting some weight into it
    to feel more like the doubles barrel. If so, what kind of weight would you use
    and does somebody make something for that specifically. Any input would be great
    and thank you.

Dan

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Dan is there really a weight diffrence between the two ?? generally they keep the weight pretty close so there is no noticeable diffrence between barrels.I personally cannot shoot a unsingle I tried a Beretta and a 101 can not do it not sure if I was canting it or what???

3. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

My son shoots the Citori XT Combo.

He did not like the feel of the un-single and said it was too light and "whippy" so I got a good digital scale and weighed the un-single and the O/U. Low and behold the un-single was over 8oz lighter than the O/U.

Popped the plug out, poured in 10 oz of No 8's and stuffed in in a piece of foam and off we went.

He messes with it on and off, adds lead tape inside the forearm at times, but the weight in the top barrel was key to getting good balance for him.

SW

4. settersam

settersam Member

Try patterning all the barrels. These guns are notorious for different points of impact.

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

All three barrels are the same point of impact @ near 40 yrds on my XT unsingle combo.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here is the truth of the matter

Or so it seems

Many people cannot make the tranisition to an unsingle after shooting off the barrel for years

Has nothing to do with weight- balance or anything else

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. racer

racer TS Member

I drive a Dodge....... Dan

8. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

What is the best tool to remove the plug without damaging it? Thanks.

9. cookoff

cookoff TS Member

Used a large washer that was very near the size of the slot in the plug. Used a screw driver through the hole in the washer to turn it. there was thread sealer on the threads that made the removable a little tougher. best to put the muzzle down onto a carpeted floor, set the washer in the slot, put the screw driver through the hole and with one hand pushed down on the washer and with the other, turned the screw driver. Hope this helps.

10. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Thanks, cookoff

11. Little B at BS

Little B at BS Member

You can get a tool made for aviation fasteners called a DZUS fastener driver. Just do a search for DZUS tools. The tool fits the plug on the end of the top barrel. C&H Research makes a mercury recoil suppressor that fits into the cavity of the upper barrel. The 8 ounce 11/16" by 4.25" suppressor will fit in the cavity.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A washer has been welded to a ratchet extension. Also, a vintage 1911 bushing wrench has the proper profile to fit the plug.

Use an 8 ounce, 5/8" recoil reducer or two to get the desired weight. I used two to get the desired heft. I used 20 ga wads with the petals cut off as spacers.

Gene is right, as usual. The Unsingle often has a learning curve to shoot it well. It is worth the effort.

I was fortunate, as I knew I wanted to shoot it, and it clicked the first time for me.

As far as these guns shooting all over the place, more Internet drivel. One of the best ATA trap combos for the money, period, if the Browning fits you.

My fixed-stock Brownings fit me better than any other brand, so I went back to them exclusively. YMMV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rmove barrel plug in browning unsingle