1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Breaker Amp?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tracyhunter, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I put a 1500 w electric space heater in the dog kennel.Have a 20a breaker in the box.Is that about right or should I change to a different amperage?

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Just make sure its placed where they cant pee on it. LOL

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The formula is: Watts = Amp X Volts, to reverse use Amp = Watts/Volts.

Amps = 1500/120 = 12.5 Amps.

Thus a 20 Amp breaker should be fine...

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Your 20 amp breaker is rated for the size of the wires coming out of your service panel to the receptacle you have the heater plugged into. Do not go up in amperage of the breaker until you have an electrician look at your wiring.

What amperage is the heater rated for? Watts are a unit of power.

You could always run a heavy Romex on it's on breaker to the heater. If it's rated for over 20 amps.

Wayne

5. kene

kene TS Member

Wayne and Bigbore are correct but a 1500 watt space heater could roast the dogs depending on size and layout of the kennel -- have you considered a little insulation / draft control along with a smaller heater??

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Insulate the dog kennel as if it were your house. Then buy a dog bed warmer. If the floor is concrete, insulate the floor very well as concrete sucks the warmth right out. Fix all drafts and make sure there is plenty of straw. Big outside dogs do not need as much heat as one may think. They ball up and conserve their heat this way. A pad warmer made for pets is the ticket. They can curl around it and it virtually eliminates the chances of fires or over heating the dog as they can move off the pad when they get too warm.
    [​IMG]

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I used to run beagles. I built a box with 2 stalls in the corner of the garage, and had canvas flaps to the run outside.

2x2 lumber, and styrofoam board in the walls.

In the below zero weather a 100 watt ligh bulb kept the dogs cozy and warm.

If you save the heat with a little Dow board you can save a lot of electricity. I think you are on overkill with the 1500 watt heater, even at the low setting.

HM

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

A 1500 watt heater would heat a 10'X 10' room pretty comfortably. A simple figure is 15 amp. circuit will handle 1500 watts, 20 amp. will handle 2000 watts. As stated above the 20 amp. circuit should be wired with 12/2 wire. 15 amp. would be 14/2. As you move up in amps. your wire has to increase in diameter to handle the extra amperage to flow through the circuit, without overheating. Also, if the distance traveled to the outlet is 75 feet or more from the breaker, you need to increase the wire size also, to reduce resistance. If you throw a higher amp. breaker in there without increasing the size of the wire you are asking for trouble. Jon

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

tracyhunter:

I don't know the size or nature of your kennel so I'll use a hypothetical to make a point.

Let's say it's winter and you have a litter of pups in an unheated garage. You set up a 1500 watt space heater to keep them warm. In an unheated garage, the heater will run continuously.

Multiply 24 hours by 30 days and you have 720 hours. Multiply 720 hours by 1500 watts and it works out to 1080 kilowatt-hours consumed. Power rates vary by location but 10 cents per kilowatt-hour is common. At 10 cents per, that 1500 watt space heater will jack your monthly power bill up by $108.

The 100 watt bulb in halfmile's example would keep the pups warm and increase your bill by $7.20

sissy

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Grntitan posted what works best, but if you want to go with a light or something else, you can pick up a line voltage thermostat so it won't get too warm

The stat should run about $15-20

11. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

Try this...

http://www.gundogsupply.com/hound-heater-dog-house-furnace.html

Its 150 watts 1/10th of the usage as your 1500W.

gundogsupply is a great place for dog stuff!

GL

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What is all this nonsense about heating kennels? Everyone knows that the dogs must come in at night and snuggle up in front of the wood burner. Haven't your best buddies taught you anything?

13. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

thank you for the replies.i will take them in order.all females.heater is in watts.no amps listed.line is 12-2/w ground.2 outlets.nothing plugged in the other one.kennel is 12X20.well insulated.no drafts.the gwp will eat anything that is not made of steel or concrete.have 2 in the house now.after 43yrs i know what the wife will put up with and more dogs in the house aint one of them.Grntitan i might try the heater on the lab but the gwp and the gsp would eat the wire right off the wall.I put boxes w/straw in there tonight will see how that works.thanks again to everyone.
    Tracy

14. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Oldtimer told me once that the key to dog house is to remember the dog heats the house the house doesn't heat the dog.
    Give them insulation in the walls and ceiling, I don't care for straw as it is hollow and can Harbor pest's Goodwill has blankets fairly cheap and they are easier to pick up when they get tired of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.