1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Break Ninety Nine then miss the Last target!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Onceabum, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

While I have been on several squads where shooters have done this, I’m happy to say it has never happened to me. Of course, the reason for this is my number of 100s is extremely limited.

Any of you had this happen? Don’t be shy, now.

Booger

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I did that once in a big handicap shoot years ago. It cost me a few thousand dollars!

ss

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have only done it twice. Lots of others seem to enjoy my show. I am glad they did because I didn't.

Pat Ireland

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I can't say that I've had it happen at 99 and missing 100. Never shot 100 straight. But, a few times getting to 49 and missing 50. And a few times I dropped bird 1 and run 49 straight. Oh well. $hit happens. What can you do, try again. Maybe 100 straight someday.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Booger.... Try this on for size. I was shooting a registered shoot in Crescent City, Calif. some years ago. On Saturday morning, in the singles, a squad mate and I are 99 straight. I'm on post 5 and he is on post 2. I'm the squad leader, right? I miss my last target out, shooter on post one breaks his, and the shooter on post 2 misses his last target, as well! Here is the really bummer part of this story. The next morning, in Sundays singles, I'm again 99 straight on the same squad, and, you guessed it, I missed the last target out again! Has happened to me once more since then, but, that, too has been some time ago.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

PS: Funny thing about trap shooting. Miss the first target out and run the rest and you feel you did great! Run 99 straight and drop the last target and you feel like crap! Like I was told one time, it's a long way from 99 to 100....

6. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Try making bookends on a 200 bird singles event...198 in the middle and a miss first & last target. Lewis paid 200 & 199 198=$0

Big Jack

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My personal record I believe is three times in one year. The worst was at the PA State shoot when I was sandwiched between my wife and best friend (that didn't sound good)who both broke the hundred!!

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have done that in registered Skeet. Never did break a hundred. Lots of 25's, 50's and 75's but no 100. That was when I was much younger. I can still run them now and then with the .410 though.

Jim Skeel

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Many years ago, I did this at a registered shoot. Ended up throwing my ear muffs over the traphouse and getting drunk. Two weeks later I shot an ATA 200 bird singles shoot and missed a target on my 1st trap and missed a target on the 8th trap, (broke a 198x200), and still didn't have a 100 straight!! Ed

10. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I stood next to a guy at the last state shoot that missed # 200 for a 199 and ended up AA Champ, the 2 lone 200's shot off for State and runnerup. He shot much better than I but I did manage the last target out. I did have some rather embarrassing moments at that shoot.....such as missing two of the last 4 birds in Dbles for a 97 and missing 4 of the last 7 targets in Handicap for a 94. 96 was high. Just a mental meltdown.

Rick in Mt.

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Yep, I did this once at the Otter Creek Gun Club in Cedar Rapids, Ia.

It was quite a few years ago.

A really windy day.

I called for that last bird and Baker said thant just as I shot the bird jumped right up.

I must have been doing okay that day, as the 2nd place shooter only managed to break a 94. Like I said, it was really windy.

But, I have never missed my first bird out and then ran the next 99 birds.

Hauxfan!

12. Don S

Don S Member

Did it once in October 2008. Weather perfect, target a slight quarter angle to the right from station 3. It's called choking.

13. JRW

JRW Member

Mine was # 100 and then ran the 2nd 100 for a 199. Have also missed the first bird and then run 99 a couple times never a 200. Jerry in MI.

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

It's nice to know I'm in such good company.... Dan

15. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Missed the first one out at the Golden West Grand in Sparks back in the 70's for a ninty nine. In the afternoon Cap I broke 24 then 18 and ran the only 50 of the day. Screwball day all around. Post-2

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A few years back a friend was 99 straight from the 27 at the CA state shoot. Dropped that last target by a mile!! His head was several inches off the comb!!

I once dropped the first 2 singles out and broke the rest at Airport GC in Ohio and tied for high that windy day. I kicked myself 98 times that day! Hap

17. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

at the WI state shoot this year, I ran the first 100, dropped #147 for a 199.

lifted my head big time!!

tony

18. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

This past June I shot my 5th 100 registered straight but on the 100th bird I had a blooper, man does that take the wind out of your sales, opened the gun to check the barrel and saw the wad stuck in the choke tube, cleared the wad, took one of my extra shells and broke the 100th on the second try.
    Added a little pressure on me but my squad mates thought it was pretty funny.
    Somewhat the same thing happened to me my first year shooting ATA, shot a perfect 97, had a blooper on 98 that cleared the barrel and then broke the last two birds. At least I did win non-resident high gun.
    First Grand American I shot it took me 103 broken birds to register a 99. I was so concentrated that I kept breaking birds coming out of the house broken, never noticed them until the scorer said "no bird" The one miss I did have was a clean miss though.

19. bas

bas Member

Yes, and sorry to say, more that once!

20. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've run the "middle 98" more than I'll confess here. (1st and last bird)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.