1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Break down at the line.....how much time allowed?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himark, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Shooting a couple weeks ago I broke a spring in my Perazzi. It is a quick fix and I had the spring and tool in my bag. BUT, in a hurry I fumbled with it for what seemed like a eternity to me but was actually not very long. It brings up the question of "how much time is a shooter officially allowed to walk off line and come back?"

2. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

This should be fun ;o) I have had it happen many times and have always left it up to the shooter,if it's not a reasonably quick fix or just going to grab a different gun they have always told the squad to go on without them and it's never been a problem I don't see any need to set a time limit.Jerry

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Depends on what the program says, if it says anything at all about it.

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I have heard about 15 minutes, but like it was said it depends on the squad and how tolerant they want to be.

Bryan

5. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

It's a non-issue

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Competitors make up the rules as they go along? Interesting. HMB

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Seems like the easiest and most polite thing is to drop out of the squad. Even a 5 minute delay is usually unnecessary. Go fix your gun or retrieve a backup at your leisure, joining another later squad is almost always an option. Happened to me once and I did just that...no stress to me or my squadmates. They thanked me later for causing minimum disruption.

8. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

Making the squad wait for you to repair your gun is unacceptable and selfish in my mind. In other words I don't want to wait on someone else in the squad, so I wouldn't ever make a squad wait on me.

I had this happen last week, shooting in a squad and I have issues with one of the lens keep popping out of my shooting glasses. I decide to pull out and go get a backup pair. I told the squad to continue, and rejoined them later missing a few shots but would rather miss a couple birds than make them wait.

9. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

I understand that there's "professional (Amateur?) courtesy" involved here, but is there a hard and fast rule (ATA); is it up to the printed rules in the Shoot program, or the discretion of the Shoot Mgt.?

I had a breakdown this year, but my son was on the station next to me, so I was able to finish the round by sharing; then, for the next round, one of the guys "on deck" loaned me his, so I was able to continue missing.

In the end, there was no real delay, but if i'd had a back-up, it would have been 15 minutes to get back and forth to the car. My score was truly going to be irrelevant in any non-Lewis way, but I wondered if you can "jump squads" to shoot the final 25, so that you don't plug up the works.

I know that I'd have no problem in permittingit in any of the small shoots I run, but in the "big leagues", things are often different.....

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

5 minutes. Generally accepted time limit.

Don

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Agree with Don. Reasonable time. No worse than someone forgot their shells, glasses, gun.

And, he gets to see a target when he gets back!

12. Robb

Robb Member

Happened to a guy on my squad at the last Cardinal shoot. P gun trigger spring. He told puller he had the part in his car and she told him he got 5 minutes. He fixed gun in less than 5 and all was well. The rest of squad was done and he had one shot to go. We didn't mind the wait at all as we were getting ready for next trap.

13. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

To answer the OP . . . there is no rule in the ATA rulebook regarding at time limit for gun repairs (or for holding a squad for a missing person for that matter).

Sometime clubs publish a rule in their program (squads will be held for 3 minutes for missing shooters, etc), but in the absense of an ATA rule it's up to the squad or shoot management to make the determination.

Scott

14. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Long enough for me to get my Perazzi spare trigger group.

15. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

At many clubs where I shoot if the repair takes longer than a few minutes the guy drops out temporarily and re-joins his squad for subsequent sub-events and finishes the interrupted sub-event on a practice trap with a puller/referee.

16. trufan

trufan Member

Himark, I think the club you shoot at most of the time cannot tolerate a P-gun breaking down at all!! ;) trufan.

17. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Agree with BigDon & Big M Perazzi. Most times it's about 5 minutes. (squad willing) If it's a Perazzi spring & you have parts in your shooting bag or spare trigger group no problem. Loose comb...about a minute of two if you have the tools and the hardware isn't broken. Anything else....excuse yourself and let the squad continue. Professional Trap etiquette is greatly appreciated.

Someone should write a book on what is and is not acceptable before taking the line, on the line and behind the line.

JMHO.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

That someone is the ATA and it is called the rule book. HMB

19. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but,,,,if the repair can be made during, let's say the first 25; can or should he rejoin to finish the event????

20. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Boy them P guns! You just don't get much for 12 grand! LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.