1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brass hulls vs steel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Does steel hulls do too much damage to receiver vs brass such in AAs and gold metal? this must have been gone over in past posts but I missed it---I see alot of U use gun club and fed---thanks 4 your opi---sjb

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Some shotguns (break open style) have a softer receiver face than others. Slide guns and semi-auto's don't seem to be as affected due to the hardened bolt face.

ss

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Brass has the desireable characteristic of being able to expand and then contract back very close to it's original dimension. This is what allows rifle brass to expand upon firing, grip the wall of the chamber, and then spring back, allowing (hopefully) easy extraction. Steel hull heads do not do that very well!

I use Gun Clubs, Estate, etc. with steel heads for my skeet loads and they seem to work fine, as long as I run them through my Mec super sizer first. I shoot an auto for skeet, so resizing the head is somewhat of a necessity to prevent jamming.

Kiv

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

southjblue:

The majority of what I shoot (some new but mostly reloads) is steel head hulls. This includes new Rios and reloaded Top Guns, Estates, and Gun Clubs.

I'm good for about 7,500 registered targets a year and at least that many non-registered. After many years of shooting some steel head hulls and several years of shooting mostly steel hulls, I can't see any noticeable wear or damage on my sbt or my o/u doubles gun.

sissy

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

You might not see problems with your gun or chamber..except for some extraction problems if you don't resize well like Recoil Sissy advises. The wear and tear will be on your loader, but using a MEC resizer before loading is probably the best solution. Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.