1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Brass hulls only

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aulovel5, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

Steel doesnt resize nearly as well as brass especially in your pw because of the full length resizers
  2. Grumpy Bear

Grumpy Bear TS Member

I have been reloading brass only hulls for 30 years, with no problems worth mentioning. 1st in a
    P/W 375, then a used 800 and now a P.W 800 plus. I see no reason to use steel hulls. There might
    be a small cost saving but not worth the trouble !!
    Jim
  3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

The latest phenominom I have come accross is that the Federal Wounded Warrior hulls become magnetic and want to follow my auto hull feeder ram out of the press. I am using a P&W 800 with auto hull feed and hydraulic power. I love the press and I will continue to shoot the shells due to Federals donations, but I will not try to reload the steel base shells any more.
  4. School Teacher

School Teacher Active Member

I prefer to buy new Federal Gold Medal Plastic and new Remington STS and Nitro 27 shells, shoot them in my guns and reload them on a MEC 9000. Steel hulls are nothing but problems in my 870's, 1100's and 11/87's.

Ed Ward
  5. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Member

Amen...

I thought it was my 870 until I got into a flat of STS's. I never looked back. Boy I love my brass and my 870.
  6. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

I have asked a similar question before & did not get a response, but:

I have no problem with properly resized gun clubs in my Ljutic, but do you think steel head shells cause excess wear on the receiver face compared to brass?

Bill
  7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Bill, I am sure that Steel based hulls are harder on Not only your receiver's face, but also harder on your guns ejectors and on your reloaders as well. I will never reload steel based hulls. Life is to short to reload trash hulls. I'll stick to brass only. Its one of the two reasons I reload. I don't want to shoot steel based hulls all the time in my guns!!!!!!!!!!! break em all Jeff
  8. whiz white

whiz white Perazzi & P/W Part s Dealer & Repair Staff Member Supporting Vendor

John: I would think that the magnetic strip on the bottom of the aluminum block of the Shell Feeder would tend to keep the shell steady at most any position.

Maybe the addition of a small magnetet in the seating post's head might help to keep it in place.

Whiz
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.