1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brake Light ???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by SF SGM, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Came home this afternoon from a friends funeral and noticed that my brake lights stayed on. I figured the switch must be bad, so I replaced it and they still stay on. Remove the switch and of course they go off. Any ideas before I go pay some repair shop a pile of money???

Thanks in advance,

Van

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Fill the master cylinder with brake fluid. HMB

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

What kind of vehicle?

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

The kind with the brake lights stuck on Tron! GEEZ!

5. Tron

Well Bliz, OK then. If you replace the switch and the lights stay on, and the lights go out when you disconect the switch, then maybe it's a linkage issue. On most types of vehicle (and perhaps your mystery machine) there is a nylon bushing that fits onto the brake pedal lever. That bushing could be worn out, missing (maybe you forgot to put it back in there).

OR you didn't replace the switch correctly..........

6. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Tron,

It is a'95 Eclipse. The switch will only go in one way. I will check the bushing in the pedal in the morning and see if that is the problem. I did tape the new switch closed to see if it was not making good contact with the pedal and the lights still stayed on.

Thanks,

Van

7. Tron

Some of the Jap vehicles have a return spring for the brake pedal. See if the light goes out when you pull the brake pedal back a bit. If the lights go out, then you know that the return spring is not allowing the linkage to come back.

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Sounds like something is closing the circuit when the switch is installed. Check to see that the pedal is not pressing the switch. Based on where the switch is located either pull up on the pedal or press down just a bit to see if the lights go out. Maybe a pedal height adjusment is needed

9. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Trade it

10. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

I go to a site called Twocarpros.com. You paypal them four or five bucks and they give you the most likely cause. Has saved me hundreds of dollars and lots of time.
    CB

11. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

The switch is out of adjustment or the pedal is not returning. Push the switch all the way down. The returning pedal will self adjust it.

12. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

It was the the rubber bump stop on the pedal. Found it on the floorboard and replaced and the lights work fine. Thanks for the all the advice.

Van

13. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Old drum: I will do it for $2! Birdtracker

14. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Paul,

To keep it short and simple, they sent a tech up and he stated that the alarm system function as per specs even though when you unlock the doors with the alarm set with the eletric door lock it turns the alarm system off just as if you had used the remote. Lawyer sent a letter out this week and if that doesn't work, we will sue.

Tks,

Van

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.