1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brake issues with a Tahoe.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Conn. Man, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

I have a 99 Chev Tahoe.From the first day i owned it it never had
    much stoping power.Its not the front brakes its the rears.I think GM
    has some issues with the Surburban and the Tahoe with this problem but
    never admitted it.Have any of you Chev S.U.V(full size) owners delt
    with this problem??.Im wondering if I put on bigger Id wheel cylinders
    and some more agressive shoes in the rear.thanx.

Sandy Holehouse.

2. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I have before, have someone with a scan tool look and see if it has any " loss of wheelspeed sensor" fault codes in the ABS section. If one is going in and out it will act just like you say. All vehicles have to meet a federal standard. Birdtracker

3. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Birdtracker,

I will do that,at this time there is no service engine light on.But I will go in the ABS C.U. and scan there for codes.Chev had a call back with dirty speed sensor issues but not with my V.i.n #.Its worth checking.Thanx for the input.

Sandy Holehouse.

4. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Conn. Man,
    I own a 2003 Tahoe and have no issues with the rear discs. I just replaced the front & rear rotors. And installed Premium AC/Delco Ceramic pads @ 68K miles. The original rear pads showed more wear than the fronts. The pads are very critical to proper brake performance. I don't know if your 99 has rear disks, but buying the low cost non-ceramic pads will give you poor performance. ESPECIALLY if you do any towing! These are just some of the important factors, and the ABS can give you fits because of where it is mounted UNDER THE TRUCK. Exposed to weather & salt..etc. Do a GOOGLE search on your "99 TAHOE BRAKE PROBLEMS" and you can read all night! Good luck!
    Respectfully Submitted
    ..............Jet Boat Bill

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

BL350,

The '99 Tahoe's and 'burbs had drum brakes.

Conn.Man,

I had issues like what you were speaking of and it was because the brakes wouldn't self adjust. I installed new hardware and lubed everything properly and the problem was solved.

I hope yours turns out to be something simple.

ss

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Before recently unloading my three GM vehicles, I used to buy so many brake parts I had a loge at the AutoZone store. Do your family and your country both a favor and abandon GM forever like I did.

Good luck, regardless.

-Gary

7. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

Sorry Gary but after working in the parts business for twenty years, GM is not the problem but probably your choice of parts suppliers. Autozone is the wal mart of auto parts.

As for the Tahoe, if it is a drum brake tahoe, you have to sometimes keep them adjusted manually. If they are discs, when the pads get low, you lose performance because sometimes the piston has to travel farther for the pads to contact the rotors. It really isn't noticeable visibly, but if you measure the gap with a feeler gauge, you will see a difference. Don't forget to check and make sure the caliper hardware is free and floating.

todd

8. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Not sure I have a 99 Tahoe with just a smidge over 100k and no reai issuses

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Sorry Todd, but General Motors IS the problem.

2004 Impala: Original rotors rusted to crumbs in less than 18 months. Second set of factory rotors rusted out in 2 years. AutoZone rotors lasted longer than both GM OEM sets combined.

2002 Venture Van: Head gasket blew with 18K miles on it. Rocker panels began rusting during first year due to factory defect called "perforation" (was only admitted to be a defect and replaced under warranty after I threatened legal action).

2010: Entire GM corporation went on welfare then CEO shamelessly lied to America about paying it back early.

These are the facts.

-Gary

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

GW22,

May I ask where you live (what geographical area) and how long a vehicle sits in a puddle around your house? I've never heard of any vehicle that has brake issues like you describe.

It takes about 5 years for a Ford frame to become junk if it sets in the damp, and I thought that was bad.

ss

11. bigben

bigben Active Member

Sandy, Gary, spot on, have had Tahoes in 99 01 03, all had brake problems and severe rotor warpage,Gm repaied albeit at my expense. subsequently went to American built Toyota Sequoia Nissan Armada and Infinity qx-56, my brake issues and other pesky quality control items ceased, nuff said, incinerate em!

12. bigben

bigben Active Member

Sandy, Gary, spot on, have had Tahoes in 99 01 03, all had brake problems and severe rotor warpage,Gm repaied albeit at my expense. subsequently went to American built Toyota Sequoia Nissan Armada and Infinity qx-56, my brake issues and other pesky quality control items ceased, nuff said, incinerate em!

13. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Ceramics do not have better stopping power than cheap semi metallics. They are better for towing though because they can with stand the heat. Ceramics are better with wear, noise and heat. El cheapos stop better because they are softer.

14. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Auto Zone asked our county taxing authority for a tax abatement based on the money lost from their parts warranty's. Jimmy Borum

15. tcherry

tcherry TS Member

No Brake issues here, 2003 Tahoe, 175,000 miles and brakes work great even when towing our 7400 Lb Airstream or our boat. Only major repair was just had to replace Fuel Pump. Brakes had been normal wear, not excessive in the least. Only thing was that I replaced the rotors at 127,000 and put on aftermarket drilled and channeled rotors, help with heat dispersion

16. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Thanx for the input guys--or people,cant discriminate LOL.
    I kinda made my mind up what im gonna do with this Tahoe.
    Thanx again Sandy Holehouse.

17. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Short Shucker:

Your questions kill me, LOL! You asked what geographical area I live in and "how long a vehicle sits in a puddle around your house?" Well, I live in the Midwest where in snows in the winter and gets hot in the summer -- does that mean it's OK for my GM brakes and rocker panels to have rotted into the ground every 18-24 months? Your "puddle parking" theory is pretty funny too. GM did have the sense to equip the vehicles with rubber tires, so I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to park in puddles and still expect brakes to last more than 18-24 months of highway use. For the record, I have a concrete driveway with good drainage and a garage with dual drains.

I understand your mindset completely though, I was born into a staunch GM family and defended their junk vehemently for 30 years before I wised-up and bailed. When my Ford buddies picked me up and dropped me off at the shop over the years, they joked at all my GM woes but were amazed by my loyalty. But even someone with a skull as thick as mine eventually learns that loyalty should be earned. I just hope others learn more quickly (and less expensively) than I did.

-Gary

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

How can you be sure it's not the front brakes? They are supposed to do 70 percent or more of the stopping.

19. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Silverbulletexpress,

After some research and hands on investigation I found the rear
    adjusters to be inop.Not frozen but not working at there full
    potential.The truck had 180,000 miles and rear shoes are still
    80% intact.Plan to put on new medium grade shoes with new self
    adjuster kit and assorted hardware.

Sandy Holehouse.

20. emm2

emm2 Member

Do yourself a favor and replace the wheel cylinders as well. I have been a mechanic for 20 plus years and the older body style pickups and suburbans had a lot of complaints about the brake pedal going low. The best repair is to replace the shoes wheel cylinders and hardware and then keep them manually adjusted. This shoe design adjusts by using the parking brake so using it regularly helps as well. Check the drums for warpage because they are prone to getting "sprung" and causing a brake pedal pulsation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

has anyone had brake issues on 2012 tahoes