1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Braised BBQ Ribs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JACK, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I cook inside. Oh, I have a grill but tending to multiple cooking areas is often out of hand when you only have 2.

So, I tried to conjur up some better ribs cooked inside and by golly, I like the result. Here are the ribs

mia_2008_030357.jpg

Baby back ribs at $4 a pound. I remove the membrane on the back of the ribs, then modestly dry rub the ribs with Wolfgang Puck's home made rub. Then I cut the ribs in half and placed them into a 5 qt dutch oven, added a vegetable boullion cube and a cup and a half of water, covered it and put in in the oven at 170 degrees for about 2-1/2 hours.

The ribs were fully cooked and limp at that stage. Then I placed the two halves on my old fave broiler pan, slathered both sides wiht a brown sugar based bbq sauce and cooked additionally for another hour at 325 degrees. Began with bone up and halfway thru flipped them and added more sauce to the meat side.

They cooled and were tender, not to the point of falling off the bone but rather with just a gentle tug. And the meat was juicy and not dry in the least. My wife and I both noted that there were no obvious traces of fat left on the ribs. I find that encouraging to thos of us that watch our diets.

I did not think of taking pics until th cooking was over. But try the dutch oven method. The juicyness is worth the effort. Adn too, since the oven does most of the work, you can watch a ballgame or load shells...

Jack

2. trapster100

trapster100 Member

Nice. Thanks, but where do the hickory wood chips go??

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Looks good. We have a high school graduation party scheduled this weekend and will serve your ribs.

(Our Costco removes the membrane before they sell the ribs.)

4. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Look good Jack.

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

$4.00/# for baby backs???

Jack, try Sam's Club. Three pack of babys at usually under $3.00/#. And they are excellent quality. We buy them by the case. The 18 pack case is better than the 24 pack because the 18 pack has a higher per slab weight average. Only a few will be un-skinned...

milt

6. DJM

DJM Member

I agree with you on not using the grill for ribs. I am sure some know how to make it work but never seems to turn out good for me. I like to put the ribs in the smokehouse for 2-3 hours of heavy smoke. Then like you, finish them off in a dutch oven inside the oven at low temp.

7. Doubles Shooter

Doubles Shooter Member

Damn you MIA. I'm eating rabbit food to try to lose weight and you go post this. I'm off to the store to get some ribs. THANKS!

8. JACK

actually, I am fudging my story a bit. This method is a second attemp. The first time I did not leav the ribs in the dutch oven fo rthe full 2-1/2 hours. They could go to 3 and just get more tender I am guessing. But the 2-1/2 hours was jsut perfeck.

9. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

I smoke a lot of ribs both loin back and spares. One thing I learned is you don't cook by time. Ribs are done when you can easily push a tooth pick between the bones. Or the bend test. Pick up one end of the rack if the rack bends to say close to 90 degrees and the meat is separating from the bones some there done.

If I want to tender ribs up even more after the cook rap them in tin foil place in a cooler between a bunch of towels and let rest for a hour or more.

10. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Ever try a Raised Rib?

11. Bob M

Bob M Member

Wonderful looking ribs, but not technically BBQ.
    They still make me want to gnaw on the monitor though.

Here is a picture of a batch from about a month ago.
    Skinned, rubbed, 5.5 hrs on the smoker, and a little diluted sauce glaze.

[​IMG]

They wuz guuuud!!!!

12. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Very nice outcome to a first time cooking experiment. Did you bring enough for the whole class? LOL.

John

13. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

Put about a teaspoon of liquid smoke in with your braising liquid and you'll think they were done on a grill.

Bob M.

14. JACK

I'll try that liquid smoke

15. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

MIA smoke your ribs over apple and cheery wood. Then you don't have to use liquid smoke and Wolf Gang puck and all those other chemicals you put on them. You will never look back.

16. Bob M

Bob M Member

I'm with Whiz. Wild cherry or apple gets it done!!

The oven works when the weather doesn't co-operate.

This site has some good BBQ info:

http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

I love his line, 'If you boil the ribs, the terrorists win.'

17. mette56

I'll agree with the wild Cherry and Apple wood but there is one better than both Apple and Cherry (IMO)...

Mulberry

We go thru at least a rick of wood per week at Mette's Ranch House (award winning BBQ). Use mostly pecan because that is readily available. Some Cherry and Apple when we can find it...but Mulberry is so sweet you'll want to hang out by the smoker all day just to breath it in!

Also, Mulberry seems to be denser than most fruit or nut wood...compares with hedge. Burns for a long time...

JMO

milt

18. laura!

laura! Member

I gotta get me one of them smoker thangies!

mette56, I don't know a thing about smoking. Should the mulberry (stuff's a weed around here) be dried or can it be green?

MIA, I love braised food! I haven't got the hang of the outdoor dutch oven and would like to for summertime braising. I highly recommend Molly Steven's book All About Braising. Best pot roast recipe ever.

19. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

With ribs and briskets, I like to get about 1 to 1 1/2 hours of good smoke on them. Then I double wrap in foil tightly sealed and finish low and slow in the oven.

The smoke will only penetrate so far into the meat, 1 1/2 hours is enough. After that, you are just drying out the meat....although some folks really like that "crust".

The big BBQ dogs who smoke for entire cooking time tend to have very large pits and can control the temps much better than those of us who have the smaller smokers.

In Texas, it's meat, rub, and smoke. Brown sugar id for apple pies and tomatoe sauce goes in pasta!

20. mette56

Laura!,

To answer your question, Mulberry is a tree, not a vine. At least in SE Kansas it is a tree. Produces a fruit that looks like a blackberry. You should allow any fruit or nut wood to cure or dry before smoking, takes at least 6 months although I've found apple to dry very fast once cut. When you cut mulberry, it will be a light tan color on it's raw, freshly cut face. Within 2-3 weeks, it will start to turn very dark at the center. As time goes on, that entire cut profile will turn dark. It is then ready for use. I've heard that some will use green mesquite for smoking meat. Also, my smoker has an 8 foot by 2 foot insulated firebox, all 1/4 inch steel, and that seems to force the moisture out of green wood very quickly and therefore produces good results with even green wood.

Good luck and check your PM.

milt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.