1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brain source of Tinnitus, not ears

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhwbailey, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

Brain source of tinnitus, not ears
    November 11, 2010 THE CANADIAN PRESS

More on News & Features
    Against all odds, man...

Dom Sitas was 38, the father of three youngsters when he was diagnosed with colon cancer. He had a 10 per cent chance of living five years.
    Checklists cut surgery... Lung cancer in non-smokers... Superbug cases jump to 8 in... A text message to help...

Most Read Why study says alcohol more...
    Excessive texting linked to...
    Microwave popcorn bags...
    Eggs have more cholesterol...
    Superbug cases jump to 8 in...
    Did you know?

On healthzone.ca, you can view a map of walk-in clinics in your area
    Click now to search

Attention tinnitus sufferers — that annoying ringing in your ears may be all in your head.

A research team from McMaster University and other Canadian and U.S. universities says it's pinpointed the source of tinnitus.

McMaster Professor Larry Roberts says they have evidence the high-pitched ringing or hissing noise tinnitus sufferers hear is generated by neurons firing in the brain, not the ear.

The phantom and sometimes constant ringing in the ears affects millions of people worldwide and has a dramatic negative impact on the quality of their lives.

Roberts says tinnitus is brought on by changes in the brain that take place when someone suffers hearing loss.

The research is in an article published in the latest edition of The Journal of Neuroscience.

2. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

That's news? They knew that 40 years ago, Tinnitus is sometimes referred to as "Head Noise".

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

A very concise and informative post I must say.

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

And the solution to the problem per the article is??????

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I doubt there is any solution. Wish there was. The ringing in my ears is such that I like being in semi-noisy environments to mask it.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Brian, what did you say?? Dang ringing in my ears and can't hear sh!t. I've got it and wish they would figure something out. I tried some of the so called miracle fixes(ear drops, oral meds etc.) and well ringgggggggggggggg.

Matt

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

I hate the ringing and understand Brian saying he likes being in a noisy environment to mask the ringing. I get some of my best sleep with the television on.

Sometimes the ringing is so loud that it wakes me up at night.

Yes, I have tried the Lipo-Flavonoid Extra Strength tablets. I might as well stick them up my........ahh...use them as suppositories.

Mark

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Roberts says tinnitus is brought on by changes in the brain that take place when someone suffers hearing loss."

So the changes wouldn't happen if there were no hearing loss? I would think the source might be the brain. Just what was the cause again "hearing loss" gee doesn't that happen in the ears.....LOL

Bob Lawless

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What?

10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

I hate the ringing and understand Brian saying he likes being in a noisy environment to mask the ringing. I get some of my best sleep with the television on.

Sometimes the ringing is so loud that it wakes me up at night.

Yes, I have tried the Lipo-Flavonoid Extra Strength tablets. I might as well stick them up my........ahh...use them as suppositories.

Mark

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Roberts says tinnitus is brought on by changes in the brain that take place when someone suffers hearing loss."

So the changes wouldn't happen if there were no hearing loss? I would think the source might be the brain. Just what was the cause again "hearing loss" gee doesn't that happen in the ears.....LOL

Bob Lawless

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What?

13. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Thanks for the info--Appreciated. Dennis

14. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

There's no cure for tinnitus. Mine was caused by spending too much time on motorcycles. Most riders have no idea how loud wind noise is because it's a low frequency sound. I wear earplugs when I ride now so it doesn't get worse.

It's gotten so I can barely hear the voices in my head.

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

With this buzzing in my ears I couldn't make heads or tails out what this post saysa about rining in my ears WHAT?????

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

And people look at me funny when I won't get out of the car at the club until my ear plugs are in...

17. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I've had tinnitus for at least 30 years. I can't stand sleeping when everything is quiet. The ringing drives you nuts! I have been using the Marpac Sleepmate for a number of years now. This produces a humming noise that allows me to sleep. (An electric fan next to the bed does the same thing). Today I ordered a different unit through Amazon.com. It has a variety of sounds. I am going to try that. Ed

18. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`ve had it for over 10 years and decided to try "Ring No More" advertized in the daily paper . Got extra and a 2 month trial period with a money back guarantee ??? All for $169.95 . Did nothing as I was told by others . Sent the remainder of the bottles back and they said I will be charged a restocking fee of $20 . 4 months of calls and still no return of my money so I called the credit card company , explained the situation and they added the $169.95 back into my account . I hope it`s all straightened out with them but as stated , there is no cure .

19. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The Tinnitus I have tends to try and compete with the ambient noise that I'm exposed to. The louder the area I'm in the louder the ringing. It's like those of us that, have poor hearing, try to talk over any other voices in the vicinity. If I am around an alarm, especially a backup alarm, that noise will come back later that day or while I'm asleep. There are times when I'll wake up half startled, just to realize that it's nothing or I'll sleep through an alarm clock because I was trying to ignore the noise.

For those who can not visualize how debilitating it can be.....your blessed. I actually tried to have my eardrums cut or removed almost 40 years ago and was warned that without any hearing....the noise "could" become worse.

20. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Dark Horse you are not alone with the ringing waking you up. I find that after I've slept most of the night and gotten my rest in and there are a couple of hours left until I should get up I'll awaken because of the loud noise in my ears. I can usually go back to sleep but sometimes not. Sure wish there was a cure for this ringing. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.