1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brain Fart ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Ok I miss a target & I know exactly why I missed the target. Shot behind it . Same target repeats on the same post & I miss it again . I know I shot behind it what gives. Where is the disconnect ? Last weekend I repeated the same mistake several times. Looking for answers.
    Thanks--Phil Berkowitz

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Shoot some skeet. You will learn to shoot ahead of the target to hit it.

HM

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The finger bone is not connected to the head bone!

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

After you missed the first target you should have adjusted your foot position. HMB

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Trial and error, notice the next bird you hit is it smoked? Did you break off a piece or push the bird in one direction or another on the break all these things will you make adjustments.

6. warren

warren Member

If your like me you apply the brakes to soon and stop your swing as you pull the trigger I've been trying to break that habit but it sure is difficult.

warren

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You may be letting go of the clay with your eyes just as you get to it. Being lazy with your eyes. Maintain fierce eye contact with the clay until you see pieces. This will help you keep the gun moving.

8. warren

warren Member

wireguy: that sounds like a very usefull suggestion next time I'm gonna try that thanks even if I didn't write the thread.

warren

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input guys. The target that was giving be fits was a right hand bird from post 4. It has the look of a straight away but is angling right. Some how is wasn't hitting it on the nose. When I'm shooting normally I smoke the targets, no chips with a few clean misses thrown in. Last weekend I was really tired maybe fatigue may added to my lack of attention.

Thans--Phil Berkowitz

10. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

It is frustrating to miss a target more than once when you know what you did. It is just as frustrating to think you are right and repeat the same miss 5 times in a row. I did that on a double this weekend in a sporting clays tournament. I just knew my lead was right but for some strange reason the target refused to break. I repeated the same lead every time expecting different results.

11. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

When you shoot behind a target it's possible you were checking back to your gun barrel. When you do this the gun stops moving. Keep your head on the stock and use wireguys advise, consentrate on the target.

Joe

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

635 G there are many reasons that you might shoot behind a target, any target some of those reasons are easy to figure out others are not.

The one that alls caught me napping was moving the gun on the call before I actually saw the target. which means you actually move ahead of the target so in order to shoot at it you have to slow your swing because you are ahead of it. Once you have done this you can never break the target as you do not have enough gun swing to do so.

I am not saying that this is definitely what you are doing but if you are it will become more and more difficult to break so just make sure you are using proper procedure.

Bob Lawless

13. Steven

Steven TS Member

Sounds to me like you have a crossfire problem. Left eye takes over from the dominant eye, therefore you shoot behind the target. Use a (Sight blinder, Barrel blinder) this will stop the left eye from seeing the front sight.

14. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

The first rule that I teach new shooters is to pretend every target has a nose and avoid shooting it in the butt. The second rule is to forget about the misses and remember the hits. Wireguy's advice is great as long as you are focused on the nose instead of the butt which will inevitably result in a miss with the target angle you described.

Robert

15. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Sounds to me that THIS game is Harder than it should be? Just like GOLF......AN EASY GAME/ but never EASY ! I WISH that I knew the ANSWERS!