1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brad Taft of Il. passed away

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trench12, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trench12

trench12 TS Member

Brad did not recover from quad bipass surgery today. He was an icon in the Illinois-Iowa trapshooting community and will be sorely missed by all who know him. I will post further information as it is available. TG

2. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

Our thoughts and prayers to Brads family and friends. A very sad day for Illinois and all trapshooters. Brad was always kind and helpful to everyone and a tough as nails competitor. Rest in peace Brad, hope you get a big bowl of ice cream and an early handicap squad up there. Harv & Debbie Shell.

3. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

That is so sad. Terry could you post his address so I can send a condolence card to Donna and please post the picture of Brad eating the 1/2gal of ice cream. I think he finished it in less than an hour. Thanks, Harry

4. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

Sorry to hear about Brad, Beck and I always liked "shooting the breeze" with him under the tents at the Illinois State Shoots at Brittany. My condolences to his family and friends. Joe and Becky McGorman
    P.s I believe that Brad led the State of Illinois with the most registered combined targets.

5. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Just got off the phone with Don Brown of Freeport Illinois, telling me of Brads demise.

So sorry to hear the bad news, from his friends "Downunder" go our prayers and best wishes to Donna.

Many Trap shoots in the area's that Brad shot at will never be the same.

Regards.

Gary Kennerson.

Sydney Australia.

6. Soot Them All

Soot Them All Active Member

Thanks Trench for posting the sad news, Ive been calling so many of Brads friends that I hadn't got here yet. It hasn't sunk in yet that we have lost a very dear man and my best friend, I sure hope there is alot of ice cream in trapshooting heaven, there going to need it. Steve F.. Donna's Address is as follows Donna Taft 10 Terrace View Blvd Oregon. Illinois 61061

7. trench12

trench12 TS Member

Here's a photo of Brad doing what he loved. This was taken on his 70th? birthday at the Iowa State Shoot. He said he wanted cake and ice cream so we got him a cupcake and a tiny plastic spoon for the bucket of ice cream. Shooting will not be the same without him. TG

8. PAPAJAY

PAPAJAY TS Member

I really enjoyed shooting with Brad he will be missed,Our thoughts and
    prayers out to Donna and family..

Jay & Karen Marquard

9. rockrig69

rockrig69 TS Member

I was just over to see him last week and fell speechless when I received the call this evening. At first I couldn't believe it because a true God would never deprive this world of someone like him. I can't believe he is gone. We have things to get through in the next couple days, be there for his loved ones and then we need to keep it all going like he would want us to. "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!" Jim F.

10. Old Grocer

Old Grocer TS Member

If you shot trap in the state of Illinois you knew Brad and where to find Donna. My memories of Brad go back to the Summer of 1975 when he proudly presented me with my first "official" trophy for a class win at the old Garden Prairie T.R. Now that was a good day.

Brad always had a smile, was always there to help the club or a shooter. Brad represented quite well what trapshooting once was and still should be, in the eyes of those of us who grew up enjoying this sport and all of the people that make it work.

Work has taken me to many places in our great country, yet I could always count on seeing Brad when I got back to Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin or Missouri. Brad you will be missed by many --- God Bless you on this journey and also watch over Donna.

The Old Grocer - Geo.D.

11. j l c

j l c TS Member

You can see his popularity here with Two Threads going at same time. It would be hard to find a better competitor or honest friend then Brad. A true Trapshooter and promoter of our sport for many years. I feel fortunate to have shared many times with him and his freinds. My sincere condolence to Donna and family. Jerry L. Crenshaw

12. FIB

FIB Member

Mr. Taft was a gentleman and an all round nice guy. Several years ago I bought a M12 Trap that needed some repair work on the stock. I was told (and correctly so) that Brad was the man to see. He did a great job on the stock and was very pleasant to do business with. May he rest in peace. Randy Price

13. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Fine shooter, great wood worker SUPER guy Brad will be greatly missed

Jake Urich

14. cle

cle Member

A TRUE gentleman. We are all the better for having had him as a friend or just the chance to shoot with him. Resolve to follow his example.
    CLE RECTOR

15. Pepsi #1

Pepsi #1 TS Member

Brad will be missed like every on else I met him trap shooting at Clinton CO Sportsman's club.

Terry Strayhall

16. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Anybody have the wake and funeral arrangements? Some of us want to come over. Rick Gibbs

17. trench12

trench12 TS Member

I will post additional info as soon as I receive it. I assume that the services will be in Oregon Il. Dates and times not announced as yet.

18. 3200 shooter

3200 shooter TS Member

I'm sorry to hear about the passing of brad the man was like a grand father to me when i was at the shoots. I always made it a point to find brad when me and dad went to shoots cause you could always gaurantee it to be a pleasnet experience with all the joking around and shooting the breeze. I can remember all the times brad helped me with shooting and all the stock work i had done from him. He will be greatly missed when I go to registered shoots. Me and dad send our regards to brads family.

Jeremiah and Harvey Schultz

19. j l c

j l c TS Member

Brad loved to play cards and I ask him one time if Leo Harrison was as good at cards as trap. He said he figured out how to beat him at cards---just made up new rules as the game progressed. A day at a shoot was a full day of activity for Brad. I do remember the tumbling act at Coleta. Rest in peace Brad - we will all miss you. JLC

20. Jim Lyons

Jim Lyons TS Member

This information was obtained from the website of Farrell-Holland-Gale Funeral Home in Oregon, IL:

Bradley Kay Taft, 79, of Oregon died Tuesday March 3, 2009 in Genesis Medical Center, Davenport, IA. He was born August 1, 1929 in Daysville, IL the son of William R. & Nina Hardesty Taft. He married Donna Fulton on March 24, 1946 in Keokuk, IA. Brad worked at Bill’s Shoe Service and then for D. Dean Dye as a wood craftsman. He was involved with trap shooting for 50 years, worked in gun clubs in many areas, and was inducted into the ITA Hall of Fame in 2002. He also had his own gunsmith business. Brad enjoyed fishing in his spare time. He is survived by his wife Donna; children, Nancy of Sterling, Linda of California, and Patti of Chicago; grandchildren, Bradley Taft, Jason Nunemaker , Emily Bressler, & Donanda Bridges; great grandchildren, Wilson Taft Bressler & Jackson Todd Bressler; twin sister, Barbara (James) Barnes of Oregon, sisters, Nina (Wilbur) Whetsel of Byron, and Dorothy Bachman of FL; and many nieces & nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, sisters, Harriett, Irene, & Helen, and brothers, Bill, Fred, & Henry. Visitation will be held Saturday March 7, 2009 from 3:00-6:00 PM in Farrell-Holland-Gale Funeral Home, 110 S. 7th St., Oregon. No other services scheduled. Memorials may be directed to Rock River Senior Center.

Rest In Peace, Brad

Jim Lyons

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.