1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BPS TRAP GUN

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Grayson Mayne, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Anyone shoot a BPS Trap Gun? Anyone know where to get a trigger converted to release for a BPS?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

It ain't gonna happen. You can't even find a good trigger guy to clean-up the existing pull trigger. If you have to have a release, then you need to buy an 870.

ss

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have owned three of them, great guns. I tried to get it converted to a release a while back and no luck finding anyone. Hits targets with absolute authority. Being left handed I liked having the shells drop to the ground. The only other gun that I owned that no one would convert the trigger into a release was a Winchester 1200.
    Steve Balistreri

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I bought a BPS 30" fixed full field grade BPS when they first came out in the 1970's. I used it for hunting and trap games. It had a 3 inch chamber but I never shot 3 inch shells. A shooting friend said that it felt similar to a Model 12 to him and he let me try his BPS. I liked the feel so I bought one.

My BPS had one heck of a choke and I won the purchase price back several times over in turkey matches. I was young and dumb and loaded 40 grains of blue dot in a Federal paper hull with an ounce and a half of copper plated 5's. At night, the muzzle blast was awesome and the report was like thunder but the targets broke.

We also used to shoot a lot of "blue chip" games where you are shooting at pieces of broken targets. To protect yourself, you need to really smoke your target so there is nothing for the next shooter to hit and then you have to hit what the other shooter leaves. The BPS's pattern was so dense at close range that you could break even the smallest bit of orange target. If you shot quick and centered the target, there was absolutely nothing but smoke (Alabama Talcum Powder) left hanging in the air. Skeet loads of 1 1/8 oz of 9's were great for the second shot of blue chips. Federal Paper 3 dram 8's were the way to go to smoke your first shot.

The BPS would absolutely lift a squirrel out of the top of the tallest sycamore with a heavy trap load of 7 1'2's. It was also great for high flying late season doves. Early season doves shot close with the BPS were almost not fit to eat. I remember several doves from which the feathers seemed to drop forever.

I remember the trigger as being crisp but I did not like that you could not clean the trigger group without taking it to a Browning gunsmith. Over time, I have heard of several bad experiences of those who tried. I never did.

I sold it and bought an 870 trap grade and have been very happy with my decision. I had previously used an 870 field grade since the mid 1960's for hunting and informal trap.

Ed Ward

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

40 grns of Blue Dot and 1 1/2 oz shot??? ED - I would say you must have been a tough son of a gun. I loaded 36 grns with 1 3/8 oz but not for long

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

school_teacher,

There is a trick to removing and cleaning a BPS trigger then reinstalling it. I can do it nearly as fast as as a person with an 870/1100.

ss

7. shrek

shrek Active Member

The reason them old fixed full choke brownings pounded targets like they did is the chokes measured around 0.045 give or take a little bit.

I had an older BPS with the magazine cut off feature to make it a single shot that I tried using for trap. It was a love hate relationship. There were a lot of things that I really liked about that gun,
    But my hands are about like grizzly bear paws and poking the shell up into the barrel resulted in scratches and cuts to the thumb and fingers from sticking it in a spot smaller than it should with some sharp edges.

So I stuck with the 870, which I also really like, and don't have the problem of trying to poke the shell up in the barrel with hands and fingers a little too big for the job.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

For those that are interested, a good video from Rastoff.

Wayne

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HvM4GmBAfYY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HvM4GmBAfYY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Cuban Cigar 2000:

Yes, 40 grains of blue dot and an ounce and a half of shot is a thumper. That was a "back pocket" load in which you only went to them for the last few shots of a match or in a 5 long type of match. Where there is money on the line, you don't feel or mind the recoil.

Ed Ward

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The added weight of the shot and powder help reduce recoil. HMB

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Wayneo:
    That was a helpful video. I found a way to make it a bit easier to reinstall the trigger, once it has been taken out. I remove the stock first, for some reason it makes it easier to reinstall the trigger than.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.