1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BPS trap comment

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Back in 1995 I picked up my first dedicated trap gun, a BPS trap with a fixed full choke. I didn't know much about trap guns but shot it very well. Then...I sold it. Since then I've gone through a lot of different guns and recently picked up a clone of my original BPS. I should have stuck with it. These are very good shooters, reliable,and because of the weight and balance for me very low recoil plus it throws a really tight full choke. For me it fits well right out of the box. Add an additional barrel and you can shoot skeet, sporting clays, or hunt with it.

If anyone is considering an inexpensive well built nice shooting trap gun I would consider looking into a BPS.

Mike.

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Bought a new one for my son last summer but he's not interested in Trap so I have it as my back up gun. May do the extra bbl thing and head for Sporting Clays now and then.

3. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Had a BPS upland gun in 20ga and it was a very well made gun. The bottom loading was no iassue and for a hoot I shot a round of trap with it and did pretty well. I'd recommend them too but I think I'd still buy a used 870 Trap first as though the 870 stock triggers stink they can be fixed easily and the BPS triggers are heavier and they take a Browning smith to lighten. Also it's easier to break downa an 870 for a good internal cleaning.

4. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

What a pain to turn it over to load it 100-200-300 times a day.

5. KRK32

KRK32 Member

I have a BPS 10 gauge with select walnut stock and and high polish bluing mfg in 89 NIB never been fired PM me if anyones interested. Kirk

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I was always nervous around folks shooting a BPS after a guy accidently loaded 3 shells while we were shooting a round of sporting clays. Fortunately when it went off it was pointed up. I had a hard time shooting with anyone with one after that, always wondering if it's still loaded. Jackie B.

7. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

The trap model that I have has a magazine cut off which makes it easy to load. you can put a shell directly into the chamber even with the gun upright. If it doesn't have the mag cut off there's a way that's as easy as any other pump. After your shot place a live round in the magazine tube then slide then forend back ejecting the empty into your hand the live shell sits on the lifter like any other pump. When it's your turn close and shoot, repeat. That being said although you can see the forend is back you can't see an open ejection port like on an 870 or model 12 so I understand the concern. I just really like these guns. Mike.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

An excellent pump gun for the money. JMO

Video by Rastoff.

Wayne

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HvM4GmBAfYY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. single stack

single stack Member

Doug,

Folks that own and shoot BPS shotguns don't turn them over to
    load them. Geeze!

Okay, kids and noobs do. You'll likely see noobs load the first
    cartridge into the magazine and double shuffle before shooting.
    Even on the trap line.

10. Rob501

Rob501 Member

I recently bought a trap model and was amazed at how I was able to pick it up and shoot very well (trap and skeet). 1st try out with this gun at sporting clays and shot a 94. I couldn't even come close to that with any of my Beretta sporting guns. This gun has become my favorite. Great balance and not much kick. I would recommend these guns to anyone especially for the price.
    BTW. If anyone is selling a 20gauge engraved. I'll buy it at reasonable price.

11. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I've heard so many say it's a pain to load, even unsafe on the Trap line. Dang, watch the video or ask someone to show you -

12. oletymer

oletymer Member

The people who say they are a pain to load or unsafe on the trap line don't know guano about guns.

13. powderburn

powderburn Member

Thanks for posting the video. I've wondered if there were some tricks to working these things down on the line without flipping it over all the time. I'm a lefty and thought one of of these would be good to get sometime. -powderburn

14. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I have one, love it, cheapest way to break birds going??

15. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I agree, Mike. They are just as safe and easy to load as any repeating gun on the line. User just needs to know the weapon. And...They shoot high right out of the box and are built like a tank. In my opinion, they are one of the two most under-rated trap guns on the market. Martinpicker

16. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have had two trap models from the 70's, and one trap model made just a few years ago. They break targets with the best of them. The newer model has stocks that seem to fit just about everyone.

I am left handed and appreciate the bottom ejection. I am also a long time 870 trapshooter, and am use to taking a part the 870 to clean. I found the breaking down of the BPS to be more difficult than the 870, and will not take the BPS trigger out of the gun in the future if at all possible as I needed the help of a friend and a gunsmith to get it back into the gun.

I have received PM's from BPS shooters who tell me they have no trouble putting the trigger back into the gun once removed. I have asked someone to prepare a video of their expertise showing how they do this but have had no takers. Other than that, I feel it's a great gun.
    Steve Balistreri

17. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Steve, I went on YouTube and found some videos after I typed in BPS reassembly. There are a couple of tricks they show to help. Mike.

18. oletymer

oletymer Member

Brownells sell a simple tool that holds the sell stops in place so you can easily reinsert the trigger assy.

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I used a small dab of wheel bearing grease and that holds the stops in place just fine so you can reassmble...I love my BPS stalker..its a perfect rainy day gun that I can depend on to give me a decent score on nasty league days when staying home is not an option

20. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Mike and Calvin MD:
    Thanks for the tips. I forgot to mention, that I found if I remove the stock before attempting to place the trigger back into the gun it went relatively easy. My guns tolerances were a little tight. I saw the video and it helped.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.