1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bozeman montana fishing place needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chiefjon, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I'm heading to Bozeman on Monday. I am not a fisherman but my buddy lives there specifically to fish. I will check and give you more on Monday if that is not too late. My experience with the town is that everybody but me, while there, fishes. There is a great fishing store downtown, that I am sure can help. I am told that if there is any water, someone is fishing in it.

Good luck.

JON

2. miner1

miner1 Member

If you want to fish the Madison near Ennis, we have many places to stay and fish. The river will be a bit colored for a while, but low snow pack will not impact the color for long. A new facility w/ individual cabins has just opened, called 'Lure Me In' on HWY 287 just south of Ennis going towards Virginia City. Another motel that caters to fishing visitors is the Rainbow Valley south of Ennis towards West Yellowstone.

Hope this helps.

3. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Geeze! Head south toward West Yellowstone. There are probably 30 fly shops on that 3 hour drive. Go to Madison River Outfitters in West Yellowstone and tell Mike Lobel (the mgr) or any one of the workers there that a member of the Michigan Fly Fishing Club recommended them. Ask Questions. Directly accross the street from MRO, there is a motel called the Ho Hum. Very reasonable. Not the Holiday Inn but clean and a decent place to hang your head. There is plenty of wade fishing probably more than 2000 miles of streams and rivers within an hours drive of that location. If you want more info send me an email Iwould be happy to talk on the phone, but I am not posting my number here. I have been in that area for 2 weeks every summer for the last 10 years.

Chuck

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Flathead Lake is full of nice Walleyes

5. tarheel

tarheel Member

Used to go out west to shoot Prairie Dogs,Shot about every where except Mt.

But I have been told That Bozeman is the PD Capital in Mt.

Miner1 would you please make a comment on that?!

Or maybe Cubancigar might know about that!

Tarheel

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Never hunted dogs in MT. South Dakota is where I hung my hat for a few years and the Rosebud Reservation was some finw dog hunting but that was 15 years ago

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Turner, Mt was a hot spot 40 years ago for Prairie dogs. The old J&G Rifle Ranch. Had a fishing guide on the Yellowstone named TJ something, can't recall started with an A like Amorette (?) Lavalette?

8. skeezix

skeezix Member

There may be walleye in Canyon Ferry - but there are no walleye in Flathead Lake - never have been and never will be unless some looney bucket biologist goes to work. FWP is committed to keeping walleye on the other side of the mountains.

Ennis and West Yellowstone will be your best bet for fly fishing. You won't likely see the big salmonfly hatch until early July though. I haven't been around Bozeman for a while - but Missoula is in spring runoff - river fishing is off for a bit. Bozeman usually lags Missoula a bit.

john

9. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Are you looking to flyfish? A good place to fish right now is right below hebegen lake near west yellowstone. Right below the spillway you can catch all the rainbows you want on san juan worms....It is about a hour from bozeman. Also the spring creeks are pretty good but there is a rod fee. I really like Depuys and Armstrongs. They are located in Paradise Valley right outside Livingston. About 15 minutes from Boz Angelas.

10. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Musketman,

Went over the above with my buddy. He agrees with these recommendations. We have been to Ennis...great setting. Going South on the Madison is also great.

Good Luck,

JON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.