1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BOYT thread got me thinking about Made in USA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I appreciate the conversation about where Boyt cases are made - my eyes are being opened. It is enlightening to discover how many old standard brands are being produced in foreign lands. I'm surprised, though, that the subject of shotguns and shells made in other countries doesn't seem to be as big a problem. If my goal is to "buy American" I need to buy whatever I can that is made in this country. Granted, there isn't much left, but I feel I must make the effort, even if my choices are severely limited.

Which shotguns are made in American? I know about Ljutic and in the long term I'd like to have one. At the moment I'm shooting a BT99, of Japanese origin. According to http://www.americansworking.com/guns.html I could also chose Ruger, Ithaca, Remington, or Mossberg. (Odd, but that site fails to mention Ljutic. I sent an email with information.) I also have a very nice Remington 1100 trap, but I hate chasing hulls.

Which shells to use? I see a lot of Kemen, B&P, and Diana. Yes, their prices are attractive. Are Remington, Federal, Estate, and Winchester the only U.S. choices? That's fine because reloading would also be more attractive when I include the fact that I'm using U.S. components in a U.S. hull, made on my U.S. made reloader.

While I haven't made all the changes to 100% U.S. products, I'm working on it. I might not achieve perfection, but I'll get very close. I think its a valid goal. What do you think?

Larry Frieders

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Larry,
    The Kolar is made in America. One of the better trap guns out there too.

I only buy American shells (want reloadable hulls) but most shooters will buy anything that is $.25 a box cheaper - even if it comes from China. We generally are a cheap bunch of bastards. I know people who will do the dumbest things to save a few dollars.

Trapshooters have a unique mind set. They will spend over $10k to buy a trap gun and shoot $.04 hulls with cracks and splits to get the nth reload out of them. Go figure!

Don Verna

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Question. If I buy a used foreign made gun from a US citizen, who profits from it?

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Answer. The U.S. citizen you bought it from.

5. WBD

WBD Member

My BMW X5 was made in Spartenburg, SC! My Perazzi SC3 Combo skeet gun was made in the mother land, but came through Perazzi USA and Pacific Sporting Arms in Azusa, California with Briley tubes from Lumpkin, Texas and I run AA's and STS's through them (never had a reload in any of the barrels!)... But truth be told... Wrap yourself in the flag all you want; trash "foreign products," but at the end of the day, the USA thrives on a World Economy and we need to import and export, so I say, reward quality by spending your money where you get quality and value... All things being equal, USA, but don't expect me to shoot a domestic shotgun (names withheld to
    protect the inferior...) just so I can hang a stars & stripes sticker on the stock.

Just saying... WBD

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

My Infinity's are made in the USA. My 3200 is made in the USA. MY S &W's are made in the USA. Looks like the only things I own these days that I own that are made here are 4 firearms. Wrong my three hard cases are made here Marmic. My premium ammo is made here.

However, its still a shame--we don't make a car that can rival the Germans, Swedes & Japs.

This statement will stir the pot. Come on Ford build a great car & I'll buy it. GM & Chrysler forget about it !!!

Phil Berkowitz

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Don't forget Alfermann.

Don

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Well I'm still shooting my Mod. 31 Rem. (40+yrs.) & 99% Rem. or Fed. ammo, I do reload so prefer those 2 hulls. Can't throw stones though as I do have some foreign made tools (carpenter)that have given good service, mainly because there wasn't an American equivalent. I do try to buy American as much as possible. Ross Puls

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Pat, If you think I voted for Obama the next time I see you in Mason I'm going to shoot you in the ear with a pea shooter from behind! LOL :) Bill

I think I'm in one of those blue states? Maybe because teachers out number working stiff's now.

10. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

I had a discussion with a TS.com gentleman about American/USA made guns and mentioned that Kolar was made in the USA. He told me that that is NOT a true statement as Kolar barrels are not made in the USA. I didn't know that. I asked for more information from him but have not received a reply. Is it fact that Kolar is not truly a made in USA gun? I was surprised.

11. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

While I understand the idea, buying a used gun from someone in the US doesn't mean the US, that person or the economy in general benefits from this. Most used guns are sold at a loss and perpetuating the brand name only advertises for the foreign maker.

That said, there is nothing wrong with buying a product made in another country. This is how a quality economy is made, competition. Makers have two choices, make the product better or less expensive.

Whatever you do, wherever you buy from, remember this, bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten.

Not all Mossberg guns are made in the US.

12. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Buy American, it's what my father put his life on the line for. Plus 13 guys on my street died so all of us could have the opportunity to do it. If we lost, no more Chevy's or Ford's.

Harry

13. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Phil, get your checkbook out. J.D. Powers and Assoc. has rated U.S. autos superior to European for about the last ten years and a very close second to Japanese.

Buz

14. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Follow the money! If you buy a Honda or Toyota that is made in the states...where does the profit end up? Buy Ford,GMC or Chrysler and insist that the quality equal foreign manufacturers.

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Auto manufacturers are poor examples of how we should buy American. They are huge multinational companies. They have their fingers in so many pots, no one can say where the profits are going. Yes, some of it stays here, but some of it goes to foreign countries as well.

If you want to make a statement by buying American, buy from a company that really is in the US. Leatherman, Mag Lights, Kolar, these are all made here by US workers.

16. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

I will try this one more time. I was told by a TS.commer that KOLAR barrels are not made in the USA at all but rather in the Czech Republic. That would make them a non American/USA made product. Does anyone know the answer for sure?

17. Westie

Westie Member

When I was in Racine a couple of years ago, I swear I saw them making barrels. Shouldn't we do business with the Chinese since they loan us the money to run our country, pay the stimulus, pay our service men and women, support Obama's agenda? We need countries for the liberals to borrow from.

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Martinpicker, be careful; your Ford, Chrysler, or GM may not be made in the USA, but Mexico or Canada. So should you buy it still?

Fiocchi has a factory in Ozark, Missouri.

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yoda,

Why don't you call Kolar and ask them?

20. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

Your absolutely correct Im old and ertired and have the luxury of taking my time shopping! I have yet to see the inside of a walmart! And I look for locally owned stores to shop in,maybe I pay a little more but at least the profit is spent in my community! We have an Ace Hardware that has a better selection of fasteners than any other place ive ever shopped! including plain galvanized and stainless! More stainless than a marine store such as west marine! And its all made here !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.