1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boys and Home Brewed Beer--Funny & True

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jim Porter, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I saw a thread below about micro breweries and thought you might like this one.
    I was raised in Al to a family of what had been bootleggers in the past and my dad taught me how to make home brew. I was fourteen and my first cousin was 15. We were at my grandmothers farm for a week in the summer and I told him I could make some brew. We did. My grandma had a old bottle capper and we were in business in the loft of the barn. The brew was a little green when we capped it. For those who don't know, "green" means it has not stopped fermrnting and will spew like the devil when first opened. If you didn't know that don't feel bad because Larry didn't know it either and that was where the fun really started! He was all set to try our concoction even though it looked like really thin gravy and had some corn kernels floating the the middle of the bottles. I suggested that he be ready to take the bottle in his mouth as soon as I poopped the top because it would spew a "little bit". Off came the top, I jabbed it into his mouth, he swallowed twice and realized he could not keep up with the pressure. His eyes bulged out and almost as quickly streams of brew came out each nostril. I was holding the bottle and would not let him take it from his mouth. Brew spewed with enough force to cover my arm to the elbow. All this was a sight to see but the amazing thing was the sound he made. It was sort of a grunt/scream/gurgle/gag. Tears flowed from his eyes and his face was red to the tips of his ears. I will not tell you what he called me just after he spat the corn kernel out. The tops of the remaining bottles blew later that night and we fed what was left to the hogs the next morning. I am now 62 and Larry is 63. We don't see each other very much any more but when we do and share a beer, he will cuss me for trying to kill him in the loft of grandma's barn all those years ago. I laugh and ask him to make that sound for me again!

2. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Back in the 50`s when my father started to make beer and root beer , a similar thing happened . He bought a few bottles up from the cellar and when he popped the top off the first bottle , the cap hit the ceiling and the beer followed and covered the ceiling and most of the kitchen . He left the hole indentation the cap made in the ceiling as a reminder for years . The rest of the bottles blew their caps the next few days . Years later he got it right but I never liked it , only the root beer tasted good .

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My first attempt at home brewing resulted in some sral high pressure bottles as well Jim. It never occured to me to contain the spewing contents like you did. Being the beer guzzlers that we were, we did manage to drink most of what didn't spew out of the bottles ... it wasn't very good and probably not very good for us.

Anyway thanks for the story and the laugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.