1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boykin Spaniels

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with Boykin Spaniels? I am looking for a smaller dog to retrieve birds and be a family dog. I know Boykins can retrieve (have seen them in action) but can the same Boykin used for hunting make a good manageable family dog? They seem to be a very "busy" breed.

2. Diva

Diva TS Member

I have a Boykin and it's the best dog I ever had.Very smart and will retrieve anything on land or water.

3. Shotgun Specialties

Shotgun Specialties Active Member

I have a 4 year old male Boykin, he is the greatest working dog I've ever seen. But with having over 30 Labs, he doesn't compare to the labs when it comes to being a family dog. We thought that we could keep him around the house and he was originally for my Daughter who was 3 at the time. That didn't work out, they are too high strung and they need you to please them, unlike the Labs that try to please you... Use the Boykin's for what they are breed for, the ultimate hunting dog. Just my 2 cents, Doug

4. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I thank you for your responses. I have admired Boykins from a distance for several years. My wife and I are looking for a dog that I will use for retrieving doves and mainly for us to have a family dog in the house a lot. I just got back from spending three days at the Boykin Spaniel Society's Flushing Dog Seminar. After watching about 20 Boykins of ages 4 and a half months to six years old, I came to appreciate their desire to hunt and retrieve. However, I never ever saw a single dog, puppy or mature dog, that would calmly stay with it's owner or lay down off of a lead or out of a pen. The trainers, respected field bred cocker spaniel trainers and handlers, had in many instances to use quite extreme attention getting methods to get the dogs to respond to their owners. I am not used to having to do this to get a dog's attention. I raised, handled, and showed my parents rough collies for over 20 years. In traveling all over the eastern and middle US, I never had to use such harsh methods to get any of my dogs to respond and be a good showdog and canine companion.

I have always loved labs but am hoping to find a smaller breed to meet our needs.

Again, thanks for your responses.

5. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

I shoot sporting clays in Camden,S.C. home of the Boykin Spaniel assoc., and so run into a lot of people that know a bit about them. Plus one of my very good friends is on the Boykin Spaniel society (or whatever) Board of Directors.

I generally concur in your assessment. As much as my friend and some other close acquaintances are "high" on the Boykin, there are some issues with the breed, not the least of which is a pervasive problem with hip dysplasia. This is generally thought to be a problem with larger breeds, but it is endemic in certain lines of Boykins. It is such an issue that it has caused a split in Boykin Breeders and in the association. There are other health issues. Boykins simple are not a "stable" breed at this time.

My personal observation has been that the Boykins are good retrievers and make a passable duck dog, but they lack the mass and muscle for a field dog. They just aren't big enough to bust briers and brush, and even a long day in a dove field will tax them.

I believe that if I were looking for a dog that met your requirements I would be looking for a Brittany Spaniel from good hunting stock, or the much rarer French Brittany.

6. Gil

Gil Member

Double, I have a 5 year old Boykin female that I bought for Duck hunting from a very tippy boat. She is absolutely excellent on ducks and will go into cold water breaking skim ice. I now live in Arizona where Duck hunting is a novelty and will try her on Doves and Quail. I have no problem with her as a family dog and she is a little lazy. Not high strung but also not a champion. I did have her vaccinated for snakes and she has demonstrated a respect for rattlers. I shot one on the front porch after she had raised the dead with her barking. If you plan to shoot geese or large game, a Boykin will probably not work. If you want a family dog that can hunt with the best, a Boykin is definitely one to consider. I hunted my Boykin with a trained lab and the only difference was my Boykin had no problem with Teal. The lab did. In terms of stamina, I think the Lab is best. For upland game, I would take the Boykin every time. I also hunted her on Woodcock with success but alas, here in AZ not too many woodcocks. gil

7. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

After 6 years with Jack Russels, my Boykin is almost a bore. She is developing into an outstanding upland dog, doesn't hesitate to go in the water, and her desire to please is like nothing I've seen before. I'd say any shortcomings are simply a reflection of me, because I have never trained a dog before. At about 9 1/2 months she has a much longer attention span than my neighbor's pointers, and absolutely LIVES to retrieve. If my wife were half as glad to see me, I probably couldn't handle it...

Jed

8. primer

primer TS Member

A hunting Springer is the best for home and field. Buy one from good hunting stock and you will it.

9. gymsoo

gymsoo TS Member

You may want to consider a "Small Munsterlander". Beautiful 35-40 lb dog, and apparently has a great nose, loves to hunt, loves the water and makes a very nice family dog. I don't have one (yet) but I researched them a bit and when I get the okay from my boss, that will be the one I get. E-mail me if you need some web sites, etc for more info.

Jim & Sue Gelatt
    Yakima, WA

10. todman2

todman2 Member

I have to agree with an earlier post have had Brittany's for over 10 year loving dogs at home and great hunters and pointers in the field. They are 35 to 45 pounds and have become more popular with hunter over the last several years. Our male and female will run all day, lots of energy and love to please. Got ours from Birch Hill Brittanys in Conn. and Dontas Kennels in Florida both have web sites which discuss the breed. Brittanys are very smart and have a lot on natural ability. Take a look you won't be dispointed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

boykin is very high strung