1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boykin Spaniels?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mallard2, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Has anyone hunted with or owned a Boykin Spaniel, or known anyone who has? Hoping to learn more about them.

I hear they are a very good smaller dog. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any information.

2. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Do a Google search and you will find quite a bit on them. Small dogs bred for duck hunting in southern swamps and small boats. Shooting Sportsman magazine had a beautiful photo of one a few issues back. Believe there is some Chesapeake retriever in the bloodline. Might be one in my future but not right now.

3. dkb11155

dkb11155 TS Member

I have a friend that has one that is now 2+ years old. Nice dog and a great nose. She is a bit hyper. She is small as spaniels go. She has the dark brown color similar to a chocolate lab. He bought her because of the size. Her duck and pheasant hunts with her.

4. Murphy

Murphy Member

Saw a copuple run a finished retreiver test today. One looked really good. Did a triple retreive on water a blind about 100 yards and an honor. Good on water but I think they excel on land, great little flushing dogs.

5. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Thanks for the information! Sounds like a good little dog.

6. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I am also thinking about buying a Boykin Spaniel. I have gone as far as to attend a 3-day Boykin Spaniel Society sponsored field trial training session in South Carolina. I was and am very impressed with the Boykins. They do seem to be a little hyper to me also but seem to be great hunting dogs with a never give up attitude. They handle heat well even with the long coats (compared to a lab coat). I have also seen Pam Kadlec's Boykins (Just Ducky Kennels) in the dove field and they were well mannered and dove finders (she is a full time trainer).

I would stick with breeder's adhering to and following the rules and breeding standards of the Boykin Spaniel Society (BSS). The BSS is strictly interested in the breeding for the health of the Boykin (breed wide and the individual dog), hunting qualities and an animal that has a good temperament. AKC breeders are more interested in what the dog looks like and not as involved with the values of the BSS.

I have not bought a Boykin yet. Even though the dog will be inside a lot, I do not have adequate outside facilities to keep a dog in or a person close by that could look after the Boykin when my wife and I are traveling.

7. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Very helpful Double. Thank you! I would love to see a Boykin trial, but none much around in the West.

8. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

We've had two Boykins.... They are great little dogs.

They have some issues with hips and eyes but the good breeders are working hard to keep the breed going strong.

Fantastic in the home and in the field.

http://www.boykinspaniel.org/

http://www.boykinspaniel.net/

SW

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

How are they around small children?

10. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Had two in the shop today. They are regulars at our facility. Maggie is a 2 year old female who just had her first litter the first of Sept. Both males but only 1 lived. Cooper is a 1 1/2 year old male. Boykins can be described as a 1 person dog. By that I mean they get very attached to a certain family member. We have also a male that is 7 years old that belongs to the owner of DRSC. He is a very friendly dog that is well mannered.

Boykins can be a little rambunctious. You should want to see the parents of any pup that you are interested in to see their demeanor. By that it will mean seeing them in there regular environment and especially mom before she has the litter.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Check out the link shown above.

12. texaswebbshooter

texaswebbshooter Member

I have a male that's a little over 6 years old and has never had any health issue at all. Don't hunt him as I have nothing in the area to hunt wish I did as he is a natural hunter. This dog is the best dog I think I have ever had. He will do anything asked, smart and is by my-side no matter where I go and has been to alot of shoots around the country.Loves the water and will retrieve anything even if he has to drag it.Great family dog and loves children.He is a little territory around dogs he doesn't know as I have two other small dogs also.
    texaswebbshooter_2008_03036.jpg

13. BudLight

BudLight Member

mallard2, Where are you in the West?.... Ron

14. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

I have owned 3 Boykins during my life. All 3 were excellent dove and duck dogs. I also used them several times to flush birds. They make great house dogs. I honestly believe they are smarter than most people I know. Like most dogs, you can find hyper ones, but none of mine were. They were not aggressive either. They loved to ride in the truck, and loved the boat even more. I highly recommend them to anyone, including people with small children. William

15. Gil

Gil Member

Mallard, From your name I would guess a Boykin would be perfect for you. I have an 8 year old female that I hunted in Maryland ducks. I bought her because of her weight. A lab would put me in the drink as I had a very narrow duck boat. She is perfect for me,but alas I moved to AZ where the duck supply is wanting. We have a lot of rattle snakes here so she only gets a few months of hunting in the cold weather. This year I plan to hunt her on ducks at the Cibola reservoir or somethere close. The breed has Chesapeake,Springer, and Cocker lines. My dog is very good with grandchildren and generally calm. George Miller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hyper two year old boykin spaniel

boykin attached to one person

boykin attatched to one person