1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boykin Spaniels One answer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grindem, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grindem

grindem Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I am on my second Boykin, but many friends have them. They are a handful if you are not a very experienced dog person. They are very strong willed---a good trait in the field, not so good at home or in public.

Another breed you might consider is the Field Bred English Cocker----FIELD BRED, is the key word. Look at kkennels.com on the net.

These dogs are small,energetic, and much more biddable than the Boykin.
    They seem to have fewer health issues,

They seem to bond to the family----not just one person in the family.

I have a Boykin now. She Points, backs, honors, retrieves on land---both marks and blinds (hand signals).Moccasins and gators told me to keep her out of our South Georgia water.
    Untold hours of training.

My next dog will be Field Bred English Cocker!!!!!
  2. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Oct 28, 2009
    Don't underestimate a bench bred ECS.
  3. msmith

msmith Member

Jan 29, 1998
    North tonawanda, NY
    Field bred English Cockers are a great family/ hunting dog. I have 2 males that will hunt their heart out for you. They are very loyal. Go to www.fieldcockers.com for more info. Mike
  4. B-Rod

B-Rod Member

Mar 13, 2011
    I Field Trial English Springer Spaniels and they all stay inside the house.
    Fantastic dogs with awesome temperments. Great family dogs get along well with other animals.
    They do not point and most have a fantastic flush.
    I would get a bitch or a smaller male if that is your preference. My dogs average 42lbs with "No Fat" on them. They are all in fantastic shape. Bill Rod
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.