1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boyd shotgun cases

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ted K., Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I responded to an earlier thread offering a nylon-fabric covered hard combo case by Boyd Safe Case, and bought one. It arrived today.

The case is superb!

The exterior nylon fabric is quite good-looking and looks very durable - mine is navy blue with chromed latches. The inside is roomy, and accommodates both of my high-rib barrels, with plenty of room left over for the fore-end and the stock/receiver assembly, each in its own sub-compartment. The material inside the top is attractive and nicely padded. The partitions and floors in the bottom are covered with a very nice dark blue synthetic fur.

It's rare for a shot in the dark to turn out this well, so I thought I would let every one know. I should mention that Bill Boyd is not aware that I am posting this, nor did he ask or suggest that I do so. This was done entirely at my own initiative.

I should also mention that Mr. Boyd denies that he is any relation to Hopalong Cassidy. Despite the fact that everything he told me about the case turned out to be accurate, I have my doubts as to whether he is telling the truth on this one. I think either (a) he is just trying to duck autograph hounds, or (b) doesn't want anyone to know that he loves sarsaparilla.

Ted K.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The case is made by General Case in Wisconsin, the same people who used to make them for Paul Sedgwick (Warwick ) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I bought one at the Grand for a friend of mine. He is tickled pink with his. I almost got him the pink one (like the picture), but settled on burgundy (LOL). His only complaint is that is heavy. Bill Malcolm

4. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

How do these cases compare to the AmeriCase? Ihave been looking for a new case and these look nice.

Mark

5. Beretta687EELL

IMHO, if you want an airline case, go with the Americase. My Kolar combo came in an Americase and that is what I use to haul the Kolar around. It is very heavy. I don't think the Boyd case is quite as well finished inside as the Americase, but it is significantly cheaper and lighter. Bill Malcolm

6. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

So How much do these cost and where is there a good place to buy them? Jack

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

They have a website. Prices vary by case type.

--- Chip King ---

8. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

The Boyd case is not as damage resistant as the Americase because the exterior is fabric, not metal. But it's a little lighter and a LOT better looking. I disagree with the contention that the Boyd interior is not as good as the Americase - both look good and work well.

If you're going to give your gun to the airlines, the Americase might be a better choice. But if you want a case to throw in the back of your truck or in the trunk of your car, the Boyd case is (a) cheaper, (b) lighter, (c) better looking and (d) gives your gun just as much protection as the Americase. I bought mine to carry my Kolar to the club instead of lugging the Americase it came in.

One other advantage - and this is real - the Boyd case won't knock the corners off the walls when you carry it around your home. This is not a small matter - I recently had to replaster the corners in the room where I keep my guns because of all the damage the Americase did, and someone else posted a message to the same effect about his Americase not long ago.

Ted K.

9. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

For travel I like my Tuffpak

It holds my gun and all my stuff

tp_home_spotlight1.jpg

10. Bill J Boyd

Bill J Boyd TS Member

Hey guys i would like to thank Ted K. for the kind words, although i have never met you, you must be a good judge of Character LOL. seriously we stand behind all our cases and i will put our metal case up against anyones for strength, weight and stucture, especially the length and depth of our compartments. i have included two pictures of our metal cases. they are all rivited and extra support on corners for the airport handlers please visit my web site at www.boydsafecase.com

billjboyd_2008_0303.jpg

billjboyd_2008_03031.jpg

11. Beretta687EELL

Just to make things clear, my comments are based on the one fabric case that I bought for my friend. Bill Malcolm

12. Bill J Boyd

Bill J Boyd TS Member

Bill... for awhile there i thought you were going to buy that pink one for your buddy at the grand... i was hoping to see his face when you gave it to him LOL. thank you for your support. Bill Boyd

13. Beretta687EELL

Hi Bill,

I e-mailed that picture I took to another friend. He printed it and we had a lot of fun with that. He was worried that I really did get him a pink one. I even gave him one of those Federal pink shell pins. He didn't use the case for a few months because it looked so good. Bill Malcolm

14. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Can anyone tell me if the Boyd case will appomadate a High Rib Barrel, like a K-80 Trap Special or Perazzi MX10. Thanks Jeff

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The case is almost RED on my screen

16. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Jeff -

I bought my Boyd case to accommodate a Kolar Max T/A combo (which is a very high rib gun). Both Kolar barrels drop so far down into their slots that they are almost hard to see. The unsingle barrel from my Perazzi MX2005 (also a very high rib gun) fits equally well. (I haven't tried the double barrel from the MX2005 because its height is very similar to the unsingle barrel.)

Even if your barrels protrude a little (not likely), there is enough cushion in the top to accept another 1/4 inch or more.

Ted K.

17. chipking

chipking TS Member

Thanks Ted K. that makes my choice a whole lot easier. I would like to put my Caesar Guerini Maxum Trap combo in a nicer case than the plastic one but the other cases I tried were just a little to short for the high ribs. Maybe I can work a group deal if I buy one for the Alfermann at the same time ;o)

--- Chip King ---

18. Bill J Boyd

Bill J Boyd TS Member

Chip, email me, if you buy more than one i will always work a deal for you
    Bill

19. chipking

chipking TS Member

Thanks Bill I sent you an e-mail.

--- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page