1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BOYCOTT GANDER MOUNTAIN

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by moore5833, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

I have been starting my 8yr old grandson out claybird shooting at my home club[Fennville Rod&Gun]. I have a .410 single that is too long for him, and i thought a snake charmer size gun would be perfect-but you dont often see them around.

I was given a $40 gift card to Gander Mountain,so off i went to buy door prizes for our upcoming Youth Shoot.{AUG 29th-all welcome} I fill up my cart with goodies to give away. I cruised the gun rack and what do i see but a .410 snake charmer in the rack!! Finding a employee i tell him i would like to purchase the .410. He asked me who are you buying it for? I tell him my grandson that i am teaching how to shoot. Cool he says-be right back! I thought he went off to get the box-but no he went to get the manager. this is when the BS starts!!

He tells me he will not sell me the gun because i'm not the Parent of the child?? I reply i buying it for myself to teach him how to shoot,i'm not going to hand it over to him unsupervised. Sorry sir,is the reply- not with out the parent present to sign for it,it is illegal for us to sell to you now-BATF prohibits it. NOW im dumbfouded. I ask- is it legal for me to take him to the range and let him shoot a gun that is mine?-not without the parent present they reply.

Now i have the manager of the store,and the gun department standing there trying to explain to me that the could lose their FFL if they sell me a gun and they know i going to let a minor child shoot it, and that i dont count as a gaurdian,only mom and dad count. Well buy this point i give up- pay for my goodies(to burn up gift card)and leave confused by their logic or lack of it!

The state of Michigan hunting guide states that People 17yrs and younger must be accompanied by someone 18yrs old(see attachment) to hunt on public land,and no supervision on land their family owns. Can be some one designated by parent -over 18.

Gander Mountains stance is no child under 17 can posses a firearm or ammo with out a parent present-clearly stated to me buy the manager.
    They wished me a nice day, and hoped i didnt hold it against Gander Mountain.

Moral of story-I am buying the gun for my self. But I will never shop at Any Gander Mountain again.
    P.S. This was the River Town Parkway store. Monday Morning
    [​IMG]

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Actually, they got the BATF rule right ... denying a 'straw-man purchaser', but were making shit up after that.

Once you buy the gun, you can gift it, BUT you cannot buy it for and on behalf of somebody else - especially someone who cannot legally buy a gun, theirownself.

Whether GM was out of line asking if you were a 'straw-man purchaser' is one thing, but YOU need to know the right answer: "I'm buying it for me."

Bob

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Gander Mountain employees did what was right, and you were in the wrong, and you owe them an apology.

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Retail clerks and store managers are very heavily regulated with policy, and have no decision making authority. This is the price you pay to get cash savings over the prices at the local gun shop. I tend to buy at a gun shop, even knowing I can get it cheaper somewhere else. I bought a new H & K Red Lion shotgun once that was a warranty nightmare, but the gun shop took good care of me through the whole ordeal. I doubt if a mass market discount store would have given me that kind of service.
    I hope it all works out for you.

5. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Apparently i didnt make it clear. I Stated i was buying it to teach him to shoot-not that i was going to give it to him. The store manager told me it was illegal for me to let my grandson-or any minor shoot a gun that i own,without the parent being present. Which is clearly false. How do these young people get guns to hunt with? Their parents or grandparents or uncles buy them for them-and they can legaly hunt without the parents being along!

6. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

He is not doing a straw purchase...he is buying it for his grandson to shoot. Like he said in his original post that he was purchasing it for his grandson to shoot. The intent of a law against the straw purchase is to keep people from buying guns for people who can not pass a back ground check and are prohibited by law from owning a firearm. This is NOT the case with this purchase and there is no law keeping him from buying any firearm and letting anyone use it in his presence.

I coach an AIM team and we have guns that we have allowed scholastic shooters to use yet we as coaches own them. There is nothing illegal about it and frankly the Gander Mountain like others have no clue about laws and suck at customer service. I have not bought anything from them in over a year. Their prices and selection suck and they will go out of business. When they are 20-40% more expensive than any other competitor there is no reason to shop there.

David

7. KeepWoodOnWood

KeepWoodOnWood Member

I agree with K80Dude above. This is not a strawman purchase. If it was, how in the world could they ever sell those pink cricket 22's? Do they really think that the adults that are buying them on their own behalf and for their own use?

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

No you weren't clear because in your original post you state:" He asked me who I was buying it for. I tell him, my grandson that I am teaching how to shoot."
    Now you're saying that you didn't say you were buying it for your grandson. Which is it?

You're trashing a store that didn't do anything wrong. The law you're quoting has nothing to do with buying a gun, it's about children under 17 who are hunting.

9. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

In your original post you said you told the clerk you were buying the gun for your grandson. Once you said that they were on notice that it was possibly a straw purchase. Anything you said after that was irrelevant from their perspective. They would have been taking a huge risk to have made the sale after being told the gun was for someone else. I can't fault the manager for not making the sale.

10. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Well the only reason the store clerk asked that question because it was a little itty bitty 410 shotgun. Do they ask that on every gun you walk in and purchase? They have never asked me that but I guess if I bought a little pink rifle or shotgun they may ask that. I guess common sense has slipped away from so many people in this country! Hate to say it but even some of them here who don't seem to understand intent and I would bet you money if you called the ATF they would tell you he was not doing anything wrong. He was buying a shot gun to teach his grandson to shoot plain and simple.

David

11. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Dickgtax-i guess i quoting the michigan law because they apparently think its legal for minors to posses loaded weapons while hunting,as long as they are with an 18 year old. That may be contrary to federal law, if we go by the book.

12. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

I don't think that that "straw purchase" has anything to with buying a gun and giving it to a grandson. But we have to face reality. When in Gander Mtn. you must realize you are probably (not always but a good chance) dealing with a minimum wage idiot so just tell him whatever it takes to work around his feeble mind. Even if you are 7 ft. tall and weigh 400 lbs. tell him the little pink .22 is for you. When you get out of the store do what you want. Always works for me. Larry

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

the clerk is a weasel, especially when he tells you the following.

"He asked me who are you buying it for? I tell him my grandson that i am teaching how to shoot. "Cool he says-be right back!" I thought he went off to get the box-but no he went to get the manager. this is when the BS starts!!"

i dislike gander mountain, they are over priced, and run by cement heads. over the years how many times have they filed bankruptcy???? then when the bankruptcy is over, they start building new stores and the cycle continues.

they pay their employess next to nothing!!!! i will never purchase anything from them. take a gun into trade with them, 30-45 minutes later they will come out and insult you with a very low ball offer. i would rather burn a gun, then accept one of their low ball offers.
    steve balistreri

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The problem is there is a lot of that going around and it's not going to be getting any better in the next four years ... They make you lie and then they make you swear that you never lie ... Go Figure ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Unfortunately we have to be knowledgable here.

"Oooh, a Snake Charmer, I was looking for one. I'll take it!" End of conversation, Pay and leave.

You unfortunately volunteered a lot more information than you needed to.

In this society you need to keep your eyes open and your mouth shut.

A lesson well learned. but don't fault the counter monkeys for obeying the boss.

I hate GM too, basically a clothing store that puts out sporting equipment for bait. They price match if you call them, most of the reloading stuff is almost double the regular price.

HM

16. JOND

JOND TS Member

Another thought to consider. Who is the "legal guardian"? JOND

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

You're outta gas Gramps. The Gander Mountain folks were just protecting themselves by following the law and reducing their risks. You obviously have not run a retailing business or you would not have sullied GM's reputation.

18. jim creighton

jim creighton Member

Just purchased a shotgun friday off this website-told fellow it was for my grandson-never questioned a thing done deal.By the way my grandson is 7 mo old today...

19. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

It sounds to me like the GM employee took moore5833's reply out of context. Could the employee really have thought that moore5833 was going to just give the .410 to his grandson? The way I see it, he was just going to allow his grandson to shoot it (under his supervision). A little common sense on the part of GM would have went a long way in this instance. No wonder so many people slam GM.

20. miketrap

miketrap TS Member

I don’t know that there is anything new to be said on this topic. However, in Illinois, stories have circulated about ATF agents coming to FFL dealers with friendly conversation, stories, and jokes, trying to trap them on very minor technicalities. A dealer I have known for 20 years tells me they will stop a purchase, if there is even the slightest comment or joke made, that could in any way be interpreted as there being an illegal intent associated with the purchase. This includes any conversation overheard between two customers, not just conversation with the store staff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gander mountain do you sell snake charmer 410 shot gun