1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boycott Dick's sporting goods

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by winchesterm12, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Bass Pro had Remington game loads on sale for one day @ $2.88 per box. Dicks is closer to my house and so I thought that I would take advantage of their price match policy. After verifying with the firearms manager that they would honor the flyer that I had from bass pro I loaded a cart with his help, about 27 cases total. While we were doing this he called the store manager and told him what was going on and again I was told no problem. When I got to the check out I was told that they would only price match the first case so I told the checkout girl who I had talked to and she called the manager. The manager who had previously given it the OK showed up and said that he had changed his mind only one case would be price matched. So with little left to do I told them no problem I would take them anyway. I started stacking them on the checkout counter and told the girl that they were all different and I wanted to make sure they all rang up correctly so she should hold on till they were all separated. When I got them all on the counter I told them that they should have told me that they would only match one before I went throught the time to load them all on the cart and that now they would get to load them all back onto a cart and restock them for nothing because I'd quit shooting before I ever bought ammo or anything else from the ever again an walked out, all 27 cases of which about 8 were loose boxes still staked on the counter in the check out line. If they had told me up front the situation I would have bought my one case and been on my way but I had alot of time invested, not to mention that the ammo was on the second floor, for the to just change their mind. I'll never go back hope you wont either!!!!!!!!!!!

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Well, I hope that made you feel better ... I shop at Wally World and never have a problem, they even help load them in the truck once I have made my purchase ... They price match also, and it usually says the limit on the coupon if there is one, if not theres no problem ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I do understand you. Wal mart for some time was matching dicks prices on ammo & taking dicks coupons. Recently went to walmart was told from now on they would only match regular priced items no more sale prices. Walmartin my area hardly ever has what I want for shells mainly the 4packs and a small counter of other shells and ammo. Walmart used to have a great sporting goods area, took me a good 20min to scan through everything, now I can do it in 20secounds. Dicks right now is my only sorce for afforable ammo. The next closest place sells estates for the price I pay for STS at Dicks. Its sad & tough for everyone, Do I buy shells from local gun guys and give up X amount of shooting or go for the deals which frees up some cash for 2 or 3 more ATA events. Dicks always turns down my coupons for ammo, but I then say thats all i buy here. They then will honor it. I get ammo through the club but that comes in every 3 months or so. I use dicks to fill in the gaps. Buying the one box for the cheap price I would have done and left the others there. One thing I noticed that works really well is go when they are busy, when you have a problem make sure all others around you are aware of what Dicks is doing wrong. I for see dicks dropping Ammo and guns here in mass soon. Then bass pro & cabelas will come in and try it out. I have one place I buy all my guns, he doesnt sell a lot of ammo. They are in the works to try to go big volum on ammo

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Here outside of Chicago, Dick's is in competition with Bass Pro & Gander Mountain. We have WalMart and at one time Sports Authority, plus our owner-operator stores.

One time Sports Authority had an ad for Winchester game loads, but forgot to print the gauge (I knew it was for 12/20s) but I went in demanding the 16 gauge - oo-we we're they p.o.'d but hey, an ad is an ad.

Cleaned 'em out of a couple dozen boxes at $3/box, hey hey!

Jay Spitz

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Winchesterm12, you did good. I would have done the samething. For them to say yes then no after you loaded up like that was just wrong of them. Hell I would have gotten a second cart just for fun. Also I don't go to Dirty Dick's for any reason.

6. ftlupton

ftlupton TS Member

I shoot too but play a lot of golf. Recently bought a fairly expensive driver from them, not happy with it so went back. I didn't expect a refund but they can tune a club so I asked what they could do. The guy told me he was busy(he wasn't) and it was just tough luck. I told him I would never darken their door again, and I haven't.
    ftlupton

7. richrob

richrob TS Member

dicks matched the price for me. i bought 9 flats, at $2.88, plus dicks 10% of 10 or more boxes, plus 5 $10 off $50 coupons, paid $2.22 a box.

oh and 4 of the flats were gun clubs, and 2 were 16 ga., and they matched the price anyways.

the manager checked me out and asked if he could have the bass pro flyer so he could buy some when he got off. i said sure i got another one, but i bought all the 12 ga you have.

they said they are getting another truck thursday and friday and they will honor the price then as well.

-Rich

8. ArmySGM

ArmySGM Member

This Article was on Local News last night here in Central illinois involving Dick's Sporting.

Gary

The U.S.Constitution gives every citizen a right to bear arms.

And as long as you have passed federal and state requirements, you can go out and buy one.
    Or can you?

One local couple says a store discriminated against them and cost them money.

29–year–old Daniel Eaves is a gun owner and avid hunter.

"I've hunted for nine years...deer hunt, dove hunt..fish."

Eaves says purchasing a hunting gun has never been a problem.
    But when he and his girlfriend went to this Dick's Sporting Goods store in Peoria a couple of weeks ago, it became one.

"They said the reason why he couldn't have the gun the first time was because I filled out the form for him. If that was so then that mean if he can't read well or write well he can't buy a gun in the United States," said Eaves' girlfriend Renae Milhoan of Henry.

Federal and state laws make several requirements of people who want to purchase a gun.
    Among the federal requirements are... you can't be under the influence of drugs or alcohol...and you can't be a fugitive.
    State law also has a long list of requirements... two of them say you can't buy a gun if you're mentally retarded and you can't have a felony conviction.
    Eaves eventually did get his gun...albeit for a hundred dollars more than it would have cost him at Dick's.
    The gun shop owner who eventually sold it to him says he doesn't know what the problem was.

Tim Presley says a background check showed Eaves met all the legal requirements to own a gun.
    "It's not my job to jury to see if he's smart enough or not. If he wants to buy a gun and he complies with everything and there are no other problems that we see as far as in confidence I had no problem with selling Mr. Eaves that gun," said Presley.

...When News 25 contacted Dick's about Eaves story all they would say is "no comment."
    All Eaves and Milhoan want them to say is "I'm sorry."

No matter what the requirements are to buy a gun..... a spokesman for Dick's Sporting Good's and the gun shop owner we spoke to, agree that they have the right to deny anyone the purchase of a firearm.

9. jester-the-molester

jester-the-molester TS Member

Apparently the store is living up to its name....

10. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I know what lets boycott shooting in general, that will teach those darn ammo manufactures to raise prices!

Ronbo

11. tlea

tlea TS Member

Bass Pro was a 'while quantities last' sale, not an 'all you want' sale. If Dick's price match ( they wouldn't here cuz BP is too far away ) and BP is sold out of the limited quantities, Dick's shouldn't price match.

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It amazes me sometimes how much pleasure some of you get "sticking it to" Businesses. You just raise the cost to the other people. You think just because you are a shooter they owe you something. Wait until there are no more sales and you will whine that they are taking avantage of you.

Don

13. richrob

richrob TS Member

Went in again this morning, they gave me 4 more flats of gun clubs for the price. The manager came over to me and thanked me again for giving him a spare flyer yesterday. -Rich

14. spitter

BigDon:

I don't have much sympathy for the big box stores. They're raking it in and if they lose a bit on a "loss leader" - which is exactly what these ammo ads are, no tears to shed. Somewhere I just read that Dick's is like the largest listed sporting goods retailer on the stock market.

Jay Spitz

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

BigDon- I don't have any sympathy @ all for Dick's, or BassPro, or Gander, or Wally World when i'm able to get a ridiculously good deal on shells from any of them. The make the offer to sell, and I take them up on it. I think its pretty messed up when the big box boys sell shells for MORE than my local dealer. Take 12ga STS for example. Gander sells them for $6.99, Dick's has them for $6.49 (regular price, they are on sale right now for $5.78 if you buy them by the flat), and Walmart is $5.99. My local dealer (beikirch's) has them for $5.50 a box or less last time I checked. There's one word for the pricing that the big boys use, and its rape. theres NO way the big box stores cost for those shells is more than my local dealer, so therefore they must be marking up the shells an incredible amount. Shot is on average $10-$15 a bag more @ gander and cabelas than local dealers as well. I thought the whole idea of big chain stores was to sell for less than the local competition??

16. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

You can find Dick's Sporting Goods "$10 off of a $50" purchase coupons in the free Hunting and/or Fishing Regulation books in many states. Not good on firearms but good on ammo. Current ones in Tennessee Fishing Regulations book last through 12/31/2007. Combine these with "some" of their sales and buy by the flat and you can get some real bargains. Best place to get the books is Wal-Mart.

17. weagle

weagle Member

The news article noted above is misleading. One of the first questions on the form is: "Are you the actual buyer of this firearm?" Only the buyer can answer yes, Not his girlfriend. They were correct to not sell him the gun. The ATF runs stings like this trying to get gun stores to screw up.

I buy almost all my shells from Dicks, and the customer service at the one I go to is great (Atlant/Lenox store) Not only that, they have Remington game loads in 16ga 7 1/2's for $3.98. I've been loading up.

Don

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Crysophylos, quote: "Apparently the store is living up to its name...."<br>
    <br>
    Hit the nail on the head.

19. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I gave up on Dicks along time ago. However I do use their flyer for price matching at the local Gander Mountain.

Gander Mountain would also accept the customer discounts I received by mail along with matching Dicks pricing.

Dale,

20. spitter

What wasn't clear from the story was whether the girlfriend filled out the form and he signed it or made his "mark" or whether she was the purchaser and they construed it as a "straw purchase".

If it was the former, I would take issue with it - the latter is a no-no!

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.