1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boycott American Component Mfgs.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skip, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Member

How about we boycott each of the reloading manufactures for some period of time.

We could all shoot offshore shells for one month. I willing to bet a four-week suspension to each of the major component manufactures would send them a clear message that we do have alternatives to their price gouging.

It would take an honest commitment from a large number of shooters to have a good effect. A one-month refusal to purchase American made components would be 1/12 of their annual sales. That would be a pretty good message.

Even better would be to shoot the Grand with off shore shells. What a kick in the you know where that would be if the Grand was won with offshore shells.

2. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Why don't we start buying foreign made cars so Detroit will learn a lesson too?

3. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Gee, why not foreign TV's, DVD, Stereos, and Shotguns, and on and on. Pretty damn soon we wouldn't have a United States. FD

4. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

Most of what you just listed are made over seas and Mexico ?? Hasn`t dropped the price only made them richer .

5. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

It would not work. I work for a company who reps many manufactures. I happen to be in the battery business which has been impacted by the cost of lead. First I have a very hard time excepting the fact that target shooters are a smaller market then those buying dove loads. I also hunt and I shoot a good 25,000 + shells a year shooting clay targets. I am lucky if I shoot 5 boxes of shells hunting between upland and water fowel. I am not sure where people get this figure but I doubt its true. I tend to look at it as in my business when we have a retail and commercial customer base. My retail customers may repeat purchase 2-3 times a year. My commercial customers by pallets weekly every week of the year and in some cases by 100's of thousands of just one item a year. To me thats the same as hunting vs sport shooting. Lets say there are more people who hunt then shoot all the clay target sports (which I do not think is the case) and lets say they all shoot a flat of shells as where a sport shooter is shooting lets say 20 plus flats a year. For every sport shooter it takes 20 hunters to equal the volume one sport shooter uses. So its hard to believe that sport shooters equal 1% or less of shotgun shells made. Now maybe if you add in military and metalic ammo then maybe I can see that but not in the context of shotgun shells.

The reason it wont work to boycott them is simple. Not enough people will do it, you impact the retailer far before you impact the manufacture if ever, a run on import ammo will cause a supply and demand issue and will increase the cost of those products if not cause a shortage. What happens to gas when there is less on the market? The price goes up. I also buy Fiocchi primers and even after 2 price increases in less then 6 months they are still cheaper then the big 3 US makers. Why is that? More and more people have switched over to them because of price. So like any good business person they can demand a higher price and still be cheaper then the others since their prices go up. If you stop buying primers from lets say Winchester (since you cant find Rem anyway) do you really think Winchester is going to drop their price? Nope! Fiocchi or who ever else you purchase from is going to raise their price. They can only make so many so fast, so it becomes a supply and demand issue. Next thing you know Fiocchi is no longer cheaper, once their price gets close enough to Winchester you will either keep buying theirs or go back to Winchester because you arent saving as much money anymore. You also have to remember that every item you buy from any company has a built in marketing cost. A company who supports our sports, advertises, gives things away etc etc is going to have a higher cost then someone who doesnt. I have not see Fiocchi sponser a ATA shoot or have a booth at a shoot but Winchester does. We are all paying for that one way or another. So bottom line, don't waste your time. Buy what you want and at a price you can afford and move on.

Dave

6. BL

BL Member

I cannot buy all of that. I hunt birds and I won't shoot over three or four boxes of shells a season. I don't shoot unless I am confident of a kill. The most avid bird hunters I know won't shoot over 10 boxes of shells per year.
    On the other hand for the past twenty some years I have shot between 16 and twenty thousand shells per year at clay targets. You do the math. I am sure that in my state there will be more shots fired at clay targets than all the bird hunters shoot in a year. Clay target shooters are a very important market.
    As for prices, if the petroleum companies can continue to rape the public and yield the huge profits they do why wouldn't you expect all the other companies to raise prices and enjoy the windfall?

7. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I find the shell sales line of bull that the reps tell us to be skewed. Most people I know over the years shoot the cheapie multi use loads(top gun, gun clubs, estates, etc..) for bird hunting. The same shells we buy to break clays. One rep off the record said that the multi use shells are counted for that comparision. Todd

8. leadvail

leadvail Member

Just came from Sportsmans Warehouse in Grand Jct. and Titewad is up $10.00 from last Mo. to $99.99 .With W209's @ $31.99 ,C-B wads @ $8.50 @ Shot @ $30.99 , your right Bl. Shot I can see because of metal prices and fuel , but not the other components....

9. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I don't buy for a second that target loads account for a small percentage of Winchester, Federal and Remington's sales. Even if you are the most avid hunter, you'll still never buy as many field loads in a life time as the average trap, skeet, or sporting shooter goes through in year. I don't use factory loads that much, and I'll still probably go through 2000 AAs this summer.

Michael

10. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Shootlow, I don't agree with that. I would say most hunters shoot some forum of clay target sports. Also, when you say hunters you have to look at just bird hunters. People hunting non birds shouldn't be included because we are talking about sport shooters equal less then 1% of the total volume of shotgun shells manufactured. Thats a big statement. Like I said above, even if we are out numbered (not just trap, their are other clay games) a hunter will not even come close to shooting the same amount of shells in a year that a clay target shooter will shoot in one night. You also can not hunt all year round as where you can shoot clays all year round. I tend to think that if the ammo makers take all the cheap shells and give it to the hunters and don't give the credit for a % of those sales to sport shooters then they have very bad numbers.

11. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

30 years ago, a Winchester rep. that we used to shoot with, stated that the High Brass #6 hunting load from Winchester outsold ALL OF THE TARGET LOADS OF WINCHESTER, REMINGTON AND FEDERAL COMBINED.

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

This is a rather comical topic ... I can see it now ... at the corporate board room table the month after the boycott somebody will say to the rest of the them ...

"Did ya'll hear that them thar shooters over at trapshootins.con done boycotted us last month cause they dont like our ammer prices?" ...

while another board member responds ...

"Who? Where? What the heck yiz be talkin bout?" ...

and the other guy will respond back ...

"Welt I reds about it on this WWW place on that thar innernet place and they ... they ... hey why iz eberbody laurfin so hard? They thought that they was goin ta show us how powferful they thunk they was ... exerse me ... why ya'll laffin so hard at them?" ...

yep I can just see it all happening now ... the big TS.com boycott. ;-)))

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Shootlow, Here in Pennsylvania there are at least 25 people to each person that shoots ATA targets. Thats around 25,000 that just shoot meat shoots, pratice, or leagues. I don't buy the 1% of their business is for target ammo.

George

14. C H S

C H S TS Member

I'll buy any American made product that has the quality to match the union wages and the union benefits I have to pay for in order to buy it. and I haven't found one yet.

Andy

15. richrob

richrob TS Member

Sales doesn't always mean number of shells sold. A box of federal top guns is about $4 while a box of steel goose loads is $18-$25. It's very possible that with many more hunters than clay target shooters their hunting loads could accout for more $$$ in sales, but not volume, although I believe them when they say it is also a higher volume. -Rich

16. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

richrob,

Good point. I would also say that anyone talking about 30 year old data needs to get some updated info. With the bloom of shotgun sports esp in sporting I would bet thats changed. On top of that many people who used to be avid hunters have taken up clay sports simply because they don't have places to hunt anymore as cities have grown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.