1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boy was I suprised today laoding 800-X

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

This was the first time I had this happen, and glad I had my digital powder scale. Wanted to throw 26 Grs 800-X so I went to the bushing chart and selected 2 bushings for my PW Loader selected a Hornady 501 bushing it shold have thrown somewhere close to 25-26 grains,it threw 29.7 Grs, I have a PW Powder bushing bored and countersunk to accept MEC Bushings, so I selected #38 Bushing it also threw 29+ grs of 800-x I then used the MEC 34 Bushing and it threw 25.9 grs
    800-X, needles to say I had to dismantle about 25 shells to salvage components.

That 29.7 grs in a STS Hull with 527 grs of shot w/ SP-12 wad, RIO Primer was dangerous as far as I was concerned.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Heck, you're not special. I tried some Red Dot for loading Federal Papers last week. Bushing chart called for a Hornady 468 to load 18 grs. I had to drop down to a 447 to get that charge weight. That's why they make scales!!

3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Several Einsteins at my club don't even own a scale! Scary stuff.

Mark

4. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Even different containers of the same type of powder may throw substantially different charge weightts. Bob

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If I had not checked the powder chg, I could have damaged my gun. I was wanting an 1 1/4 Oz load for buddy shoots, and 26 grs was 11,000 psi. I am shooting 1 3/16ths oz of shot the 25.9 grs should work well.

I think a lot of those weights were used in the olden days, before they cleaned up the powders.

My powders of choice are PROMO, 800-X and of course Longshot. I always weigh my powder charges, only wished I had done it sooner.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

I cannot fathom loading ANY shells without a powder check.

I use Promo almost exclusively and buy 4 kegs of the same lot number at a time. I STILL check weights at the start of every loading session even if I have not changed the bushing from the last session. I even check weights every 20-30 minutes.

Just anal I guess. But I have grown rather accustomed to the relative positions of my various appendages and endeavor keep them as they are.

Don Verna

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Bushing charts make good paper airplanes. Nothing replaces the careful loader and a really good scale. If you must, start low with a chart and work up to what you are "shooting for"......breakemall

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"And they walk among us!"

Always wanted to say that (I've heard it plenty).

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

No personal experience but a friend and others have stated that 800X does not meter well. Since you are very close to the 11,500 psi max, I would check the weights of the powder drops of the first 6 then every fifth one for couple of boxes or so to confirm that the drops are consistent.

My friend had bloopers, so the powder drops were most likely less than what they were suppose to be.

Jason

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

As far as I am concerned , 800X should only be used on a single stage press. Throw out the first one. Or , weigh every charge ,the best. Jeff

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Time to buy an UNLOADER from Gary

12. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

A person I know has some type of bottle knocker attached to his reloader for when he uses 800X, as it does not meter well. Have not seen it, but have seen talk of same in the past on talk boards.

13. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I dont know what you guys are talking about. Ive been using 800X since i started reloading 7 years ago and i have NEVER had any problems with it. in my pacific 366 it meters perfectly. the 471 bushing throws exactly 26.0 grains of 800X from lot to lot to lot. I check the powder and shot charge every time i set down at the loader and check every 5th shell as you should and i get 25.9, 26.0, or 26.1 every single time. I never use the Bushing chart for anything but a REFERENCE! When I buy a new powder to try I check the bushing chart for what it recommends and start with that one, then i switch to either a bigger or smaller buching depending on what the first bushings charge weigh. I continue to do this until i find the perfect bushing, I reload that particular shell and then mark the box with the powder chatge and the bushing i used to obtain that charge. this system works well for me. BYG

14. twopipe

twopipe Member

Select from the bushing chsrt to start the scale check, IMHO

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

A 471 bushing is SUPPOSED to throw 23 Grs. of 800-X. Smaller diameter bushings tend to increase the variability of 800-X powder charges. It's not unusual to have + or -.5 grain drops with that powder. Not a good choice!!

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You loaded 25 shells before you checked the powder weight with a scale? HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.