1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boy Scout denied Eagle Scout because he's gay.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Catpower, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

They shouldn't they won't allow gay scout masters then they shouldn't award a gay that wants the Eagle Award, rules are rules

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

That organization appears to be homophobic. BSA needs to grow up, this is 2012.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The kid knows exactly what he is doing. Which was more important to him - becoming an Eagle Scout or displaying his gayness? Look at the timing. He knew what the rules were and he purposely sabotaged his award. He did it on purpose for a reason he fully embraced. He knew what the results would be when he did it. His declaration was intended to discredit the very organization he was a member of.

4. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I am an Eagle Scout. I completed my eagle when I was 14. The requirements now are a lot easier than they were back then. I've seen boys who passed their canoeing and rowing merit badges in swimming pools (not a joke). I don't have near the respect for Eagle Scouts that I had 50 years ago. The progam has really been dumbed down from what it used to be. I was also a Sea Scout scout master after getting out of the service(navy). What they have now is vastly different. Changed mostly to get new kids and keep them in. Kinda like the ATA.
    If the kid was smart enuff to be an Eagle, He should have been smart enough to keep his pie hole closed.
    Bob

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Guess we could ask Ahmadinejad what he thinks about it?

Bob Falfa

6. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Ted,

...from my scouting experience.

I believe there is more to the story than the article suggests. I know I sound old fashion, but I wouldn't be happy hearing that any scout in the troop is sexually active since is doesn't really uphold scouting beliefs.

In a couple of cases that I've seen young men not able to pass their Eagle Boards.

One of those was able to bipass the troop and appeal to the district (BSA). The troop thought that he wasn't active enough in scouting after he turned 17.

The next one a young man decided to take his stand and declare that he was an atheist and totally denided the existence of a higher power. He didn't get the award.

The Eagle Scout Award is not given away...as a lot of parents wish.

God Bless,
    TNCoach

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Ted you cast wasn't very good, they are supposed to be boy lead? Then why do they have masters?

8. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Good! ed nichols

9. drejw2

drejw2 Member

That's the problem we have in California, liberals wanting to prove a point. I say follow the rules and laws, period.
    I am an Eagle Scout, my son and daughter are scouts, my younger ones will also be. I have some gay friends and employees, but rules are rules if we break them there will not be an end. Next you will have a gay, a transvesty or a genderly confused individual having a law suit against BSA and bankrupting it.
    It is an assault on every thing related to proper family values it is the decline of a civilization.

10. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

If anyone has been around a troop long enough, you've seen a 17 1/2 year old wake up and realize he only has 6 months to push through the paperwork and hold his boards.

It's either the parents or leader that finally get a young man to get off his duff. It's followed by a panic of activity even if he already has most of his merit badges and his project done.

I've seen a couple of great scouts that waited until the last minute (90 to be exact). When they finally handed their paperwork into council and prayed everything would be accepted...

I think the kid just timed out and wanted to garner more time, but that's just my 2 cents.

TNCoach

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What the heck does this have to do with trap shooting? Couldn't find the "Off Topic" section? Better yet, move it to your gay forum.

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I guess Lawerence of Arabia would be counted out as an Eagle Scout. Poor old Larry would be kicked out and left to what was it, ride a Brough Superior. That's a motorcyhcle, not "brother superior."

We need to maintain good old family values of keeping our kids away from people that are different, you know, odd folks like J. Edgar Hoover...etc.
    But Barney Frank...well, keep him away from your kids, they'd learn some bad economic lessons. I agree there.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Let the gays start their own version of scouts. It's a free country. Nothing is stopping them.

14. SBray

SBray Active Member

grntitan

Thank you, I was wondering when someone would bring it up!

As for the subject matter, rules are rules. There was a reason for the rule.

I was a boy scout back in the late 50's and I have seen how, over the years, credit for a merit badge is not much of a challenge anymore.

JMHO,

Steve

15. shotgunner50

shotgunner50 Member

Maybe the gay boyscouts should go to a remote island for their eagle scout project and not be able to return until they have reproduced. I think this would teach a very valuable lesson on morals.

M Taylor

Shotgunner 50

16. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

I am a Ass't scout master for my troop and a patrol advisor for nine 15/16 year
    scouts. One of my scouts came out of the closet and his parents pulled him from the troop. I am his older brothers "Eagle" scout advisor and he is struggling at school( peer pressure) and home having a GAY younger brother.

His parents pulled the Gay younger brother before having to face other parents reservations having their Gay son in a over night camping event.

17. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

Gays are born that way with their first breath,they are only playing the cards
    they were delt,and so are we.............

18. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

My son is an Eagle, I wasn't/ am not aware that the Scout could be banned if he's gay. However I personally support the ban on gay leadership, not because I'm homophobic, but rather I believe it will protect the boys from the possibility of sexual abuse. (remember the Catholic Church), unfortunately the media/society lays in wait for these types of negativity to attack GOOD institutions such as BSA, Girls Scouting, Promise Keepers,. etc.. Therefore theses institutions have to go above and beyond to protect the kids in all possible situations. Just my .$02

19. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Does the gay scout shoot trap?

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Why the hell is this shooting related?

How about Off Topic Threads????????????????

Do we have to have all this Politcal correctness crap rammed down our throats even on a trapshooting web site?

You want a tretise on bullying? Here is what we did when I was in the boy scouts. You kicked the bullys ass and then he left you alone.

You don't make a poster about how your feelings get hurt when others are mean to you.
    Little did I know I could have got an Eagle scout award for kicking a bullys ass. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.