1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boy did I mess up...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mette56, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Couldn't find my Flitz polish so i used some jewelry cleaner to clean a spot off of my trap barrel. Product stated "Will not harm metal finish". It did...took of the blueing down to shiney metal in an area 5" X 1 1/2 ". Any way to fix this without re-blueing the entire barrel (Birchwood Casey maybe)?

Thanks in advance,

milt

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Nope. Sorry uncle Miltie. Use that old trick you told me and use that BC felt tipped blue pen. It'll color it but it wont match. Happy Halloween Jimette and Milt. Barry.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sorry about your bad luck but i think thats why they say try an inconspicuous spot first. OOPS. I hate when that happens. Good news is any gun can be reblued or refinished. It just may be a costly OOPS. ):)

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Check out site above.

5. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I have the Blue Wonder and was not happy with the results.

You might try Vans Gun Blue. Call him at 218-340-7561 Tell him what happened and I think he can help you.

www.vansgunblue.com

This stuff does work.

Jim R

6. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

STOP! STOP! STOP! DO NOT USE BLUE WONDER AT ALL!!!
    This stuff is a waist of time and money and will not work to your satisfaction.
    Wish I had never heard of the stuff.
    The end result cost me over $300.00 for a re-blue job.

7. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

STOP! STOP! STOP! DO NOT USE BLUE WONDER AT ALL!!!
    This stuff is a waist of time and money and will not work to your satisfaction.
    Wish I had never heard of the stuff.
    The end result cost me over $300.00 for a re-blue job.

8. EEB

EEB Member

If it is a small spot you can rust blue over a tea kettle in the kitchen. Degrease carefully the spot and rust using a dilution of Laurel Mountain Forge browning agent. When you get a nice red/brown rust, steam the spot over a tea kettle or some other concentrated source of steam. This will turn the red rust black. Card off using degreased 0000 steel wool. Repeat as necessary, probably 5-6 times. Do not touch the rusted spot with your bare hands during the process. It may not match exactly but it will be close.

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If you're as picky as I am, you won't care for the looks of a cold blue touch-up on an area that big. Just bite the bullet and have your barrel reblued.

ss

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Clean the area with rubbing alcohol. Apply instant blue using a pad of 0000 steel wool. The pad and bluing will turn black. Keep applying coats of instant blue until you get a match. HMB

11. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Careful about the Flitz also, it too is an abrasive and will remove the bluing.

While I was living in WI, the Flitz Co. was very near where I lived and worked. One day they showed up with an arm full of bbls asking to have them reblued. I asked "why, Flitz doesn't remove bluing does it?" The fella gathered up his bbls and left.

12. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Over 50 years of trying this and that cold blue have shown me None work. The process EEB shows will do the job, as far as a match to the rest maybe, maybe not. A good reblue by Simmons or another reputable source would be the best way to go.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Rick--I like the way you think. LOL Outside the box.---Matt

14. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

Get a small bottle of Oxpho-blue from Brownell's and follow the directions. Reapply several times as necessary. Over a few days it will get as dark as you like. Their product #082-024-004 Wouldn't leave home without it!

15. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I would like to thank all those that posted their, well negtive views, from experience, of the cold blue products.

They from my 40+ years of being arround and envolved and doing HOT Bluing, (HOT BLUING some like it some say it's cheesy),

ARE TELLING IT STRAIGHT!

BUT

done right it will be black, and if the polishing is done right, BEAUTIFUL!

So if you take a sanding block, to the muzzle and card it to white, then look and see what the solder lines look like,

if fine but clearly yellow, it can be hot blued.

If impossible to see or seen but NOT YELLOW, the barrels are soft solderd together and need to be slow rust blued, AS the hot blue process desolves the soft solder!

It seems like every time a NEW(?) product shows up, I will have a customer go out of their way to show me what they did themselfs.

ONLY do show up in a week or a month with the same gun looking like it had been dropped in the ocean, saying "well it looked good for a couple weeks, then it turned to this!"

So IMHO, take the work to someone like myself that will make it look like it should, AND stay that way!

Al Lingham

16. doberman37

doberman37 Member

I just bought some of Vans gun blue to just blue a trigger housing and the trigger guard. The housing wouldent even turn dark. The blueing would not work at all. Watter would have done as good. The trigger guard did turn dark but was not even. Cold blueing is a wast of time and money.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Maybe the trigger guard was made out of aluminum. HMB

18. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Listen to benedict1 in his post above, I hate to post here because there is always a pissing contest ,,,,,, but the Oxpho-blue from brownells is the best product out there. Period......
    Heat the barrel some, and clean with 0000 steel wool and reapply until you get an acceptable color match Then " FORGET BOUT IT ".!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.