1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Boxhorn Gun Club in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by N. J. BOB, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Is this Dick Bennetts old club ???? The man who wrote "Trapshooting is a game of Opposites". It was the best book on tarp that I have read to date.

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

OOOOOO mis spelling "trap"

3. Donm

Donm Active Member

Looks like the spring league will continue as of the 2nd of April and continue until May 1st. So I would guess that the summer league would start somewhere around then.
    In the letter from Rick it say that "I will remain a active part of the club managing the day to day operations of Boxhorn". So I take it that he will be the manager.

The new owner's name is Art Dumke. It may just be me but I don't know the man. I hope he know's something about running a gun club. That is what got Rick in trouble was the fact that he had no knowledge of gun club operations and how to set up shooting programs. Rick goes on to say that Art is a "super person" and is a "active outdoorsman enjoying hunting and fishing of all kinds" He goes on to say "In addition to myself managing the club, you will see another great personality in the name of Paul Jonas. Paul resides in the area and will be a go-to person in moving our club forward with events and maketing changes. Paul's father in law has been an active member of our club for 30 years" No where does it say that either the new owner or the go-to person has any knowledge of running a gun club.

I do wish them well. I would hate to lose that club. Plus they owe me money from last weeks jackpot shoot.:)

4. gordy h

gordy h Member

Is Dennis Potter Still the gunsmith out there? Butch H

5. IM390

IM390 Member

Potter is still there where he was 40 years ago

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ran my first 25 at that place and then backed it up with another for my first 50. Got patches for both. Actually, I came in after my 25 and they gave me a patch and told me to go do it again. And I did. Gun? 1100 TT

7. baldeagle

baldeagle TS Member

I used to shoot at Boxhorn in the 70's when I lived in WI. Is Norm Schmid and Wally Ossana still around? they were my shooting buddies.

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Where in Wis. is it?

9. gordy h

gordy h Member

OK! My turn to be smart, I shot there (before moving north), when Loue Boxhorn ran it , shot with the best ,Bennet, Smith , Otto, Fisher,and more, Broke 249 stright in league,Even won the jackpot, those were the days. Hope it gets back to the way it was. Good luck to the new gang. Butch H

10. LarryMcWI

LarryMcWI TS Member

Boxhorn is located S90 W13960 Boxhorn Drive
    Muskego, WI, 53150

11. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Club is slightly SW of MIlwaukee by about 15 miles. I shot there when Bennet owned it and he ran a good ship. Many of those regulars form th elate 80's still shoot. Bazooka and I participate in TS.com and I'm sure others of you as well.

Jack

12. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Shot league there in the 60s, brought go-go girls from west Allis to dance for awards party. have lots of pic's from our league shooting there. had to convince Lou we would pay any finds if police showed up. the place was packed back then with league shooter's, shot with Harry and son Kerry later on also Dick Gentie Hugh Brown Bob staires & Ron winkler he won the state Hcp in the late 50s, not sure of some spellings, remember Caesar Dam south of Boxhorn, the walleye and crappies wood pile up at the dam in spring. we used to keep the "fickle finger faith" award at the bar which was awarded to low shooter of the 5 man. the bar and dinning area were up in the house, the little shack where score were posted was very small and half the time under water. but it was then and probably now a blast to shoot there and was packed.

13. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

So it was Dick Bennet's place !!!

14. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Yes, it was Dick's club.

Rollin

15. skarloey

skarloey TS Member

Is Mr. Bennett still with us? I love his book.

16. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Dick is still living, but to my knowledge is not shooting trap to often. I see him once in awhile shooting sporting clays at Boxhorn's.
    Steve Balistreri

17. Janet

Janet TS Member

Coming from Ohio to Wisconsin in the early '90's through 2006, I was a regular
    with my partner Craig Duda who passed in 2005. Many good times were had there
    and met great people Shot in several women's leagues during the day and
    what fun we had.

Many of the shooters have passed on and I moved back to Ohio, but still keep
    in contact with friends I met. Dick and Lois made me feel so welcome
    as a newcomer.

My heart will always have a spot for the trapshooting men and women I knew and
    loved, but, life marches on and sometimes it's out of our
    control.

Good luck to the new owner. Keep Boxhorn open and smoke them all!!!

18. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

any of you guys remember Jack Gracey??

19. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

EuroJoe:
    Jack in my opinion was the best shooter I ever saw in the state of Wisconsin. As great a shooter that he was, I'd consider him even a better salesman. He passed away to young. I miss him.
    Steve Balistreri

20. War Wagon

War Wagon Member

The old saying Keep your memories alive, that club will never be what it once was when Dick ran it. Gone down hill since he left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
box horn gun wisconsin club milwaukee wisconsin
boxhorn gun club

boxhorns gun club

steve balistreri - trapshooting