1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

box lock VS. side lock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kolared person, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

I was browsing some of the spectacular sxs s and ou sidelocks on gunbroker.com. Is there anything special about sidelocks that make them so expensive? Do they have a faster lock time etc. ?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Ease of spring replacement and more surface area to engrave(important, yes?).

HM

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Removable sidelcoks require much more and extensive fitting. Jeff

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

5. wm rike

wm rike Member

From a purely practical standpoint, the wood and action on the boxlock is stronger and more reliable in the long run, but that is not to say that the sidelocks are flimsy or should be avoided. Either design, well made, will balance, point, and swing with equal grace. There is little doubt that, with the possible exception of the Scottish round-action trigger plate guns, the sidelock is the racier looking item and represents the high-end art of gunmaking.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

In a side lock, the lock (hammer, sear, hammer spring) are part of a side plate that is not part of the receiver. In a box lock, the lock is inside of a steel box (receiver).

I have many times made fake side plates for a box lock gun to create more area for engraving.

I went to England many years ago to have a H&H made for me. I was firmly told by the master gun fitter that the "aristocracy and gentry would only shoot a side lock gun". I did not tell him that I was a backwoods boy from the Blue Ridge Mountains. I followed him and received the very worst gun fitting I have ever experienced. I learned from this "Master" that the cheek should never firmly touch the comb. Unfortunately, from time to time, when I am on the line, I follow his advice.

Pat Ireland

7. wm rike

wm rike Member

Flincher - yeah, that's what I meant to say - "conspicuous consumption." Good choice of words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
box lock or side lock shotguns
box lock shotguns
box lock shotguns with side plates
side lock versus box lock

side lock vs box lock

side lock vs box lock shotguns

side plate side lock boxlock
trigger plate lock vs boxlock